highlighting colours in an xterm

c.lina
Hi,

I am using vim in an xterm. Is it possible to use colours other than the
default 16 ones? Cyan is really not my favourite colour ...

If I start vim from an xterm that has, e.g., background steelblue and
foreground darkred, then this is kept in vim. So I think that it might
be possible to use these colours also for highlighting. Am I right and
if so, how could this be achieved?

Regards, Catherine.

Cras vives? Hodie iam vivere, Postume, serum est.

Re: highlighting colours in an xterm

A.J.Mechelynck
> I am using vim in an xterm. Is it possible to use colours other than the
> default 16 ones? Cyan is really not my favourite colour ...
>
> If I start vim from an xterm that has, e.g., background steelblue and
> foreground darkred, then this is kept in vim. So I think that it might
> be possible to use these colours also for highlighting. Am I right and
> if so, how could this be achieved?
>
> Regards, Catherine.

> Cras vives? Hodie iam vivere, Postume, serum est.

Vim is powerless to change which colors are available inside its console
terminal. To change the "terminal palette", you will have to resort to
non-Vim methods, and I don't know how to do it, or which console terminals
allow it.

What Vim can do, is change (using e.g. a colorscheme) "for what purpose" it
will use each of the 2 to 16 colors available in its console, and their
combinations. That may or may not suit you, however.

For more powerful color (, font, and display size) control, you may want to
switch over to gvim, but (under Unix-like OSes) that requires having X11
running.