higlight beyond level 9: possible?

Peter Princz
Hello VimOutliners,

we all have

hi OL1 .. hi OL9

in our colorschemes. Seems everything beyond level 9 will get the
color of level 9.
But I'd need more than 9 level to be correctly syntax coloured.
I could not find this as a limitation in vim documentation.
I could create hi OL10, OLA, whatever, but seems vimoutliner will not
respect it.

Is that possible to highlight >9 levels of outline?
(I know it is not healthy to nest that deep, but still.)

Thank you in advance,
  Peter

Re: higlight beyond level 9: possible?

Noel Henson
It sure is possible. How many do you need? I'll be out of the office until
tomorrow but I can whip up new syntax files over the weekend. OR, you can
check your syntax/vo_base.vim and colorscheme to add the levels yourself.
It's pretty simple

On Friday 11 September 2009, Peter Princz wrote:

> Hello VimOutliners,
>
> we all have
>
> hi OL1 .. hi OL9
>
> in our colorschemes. Seems everything beyond level 9 will get the
> color of level 9.
> But I'd need more than 9 level to be correctly syntax coloured.
> I could not find this as a limitation in vim documentation.
> I could create hi OL10, OLA, whatever, but seems vimoutliner will not
> respect it.
>
> Is that possible to highlight >9 levels of outline?
> (I know it is not healthy to nest that deep, but still.)
>
> Thank you in advance,
>   Peter

Re: higlight beyond level 9: possible?

Peter Princz
Noel,

thank you for the lightning-fast reply. I was not aware of this file
and was playing with .../vimfiles/colors/*.vim only.
I'm already adding my stuff, will let you know how it works.
Don't do anything, enjoy your weekend!
Thank youonce again!

Have a nice day,
  Peter

On 11/09/2009, Noel Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It sure is possible. How many do you need? I'll be out of the office until
> tomorrow but I can whip up new syntax files over the weekend. OR, you can
> check your syntax/vo_base.vim and colorscheme to add the levels yourself.
> It's pretty simple
>
> On Friday 11 September 2009, Peter Princz wrote:
> > Hello VimOutliners,
> >
> > we all have
> >
> > hi OL1 .. hi OL9
> >
> > in our colorschemes. Seems everything beyond level 9 will get the
> > color of level 9.
> > But I'd need more than 9 level to be correctly syntax coloured.
> > I could not find this as a limitation in vim documentation.
> > I could create hi OL10, OLA, whatever, but seems vimoutliner will not
> > respect it.
> >
> > Is that possible to highlight >9 levels of outline?
> > (I know it is not healthy to nest that deep, but still.)
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> >   Peter

Re: higlight beyond level 9: possible?

Carsten Hey-4
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 07:58:51AM -0700, Noel Henson wrote:
> It sure is possible. How many do you need?

Vim supports up to 20 levels.

Carsten

Re: higlight beyond level 9: possible?

Peter Princz
Thank you all, it works great!

Carsten, this is something I find interesting: out of curiosity I
extended syntax colouring down to 49 levels and it works as expected.
This is gvim 7.2, now on windows. But will check it on my home
computer too which has ubuntu linux on it.

Moreover, I have a :2match Error /\%>110v.\+/ in the file to highlight
too long lines and that works too. If I turn it on, it will take
precedence because column 110 kicks in earlier than 49 levels, but if
I turn it off, the alternate coloring is visible all the way down.

(I agree with all the comments you may have saying it does not make
any sense to nest that deep.)

Have a nice day,
  Peter

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 07:41:08PM +0200, Peter Princz wrote:
> Carsten, this is something I find interesting: out of curiosity I
> extended syntax colouring down to 49 levels and it works as expected.
> This is gvim 7.2, now on windows. But will check it on my home
> computer too which has ubuntu linux on it.

20 (or 19) levels is Vim 7.1.314 on Debian Lenny, I guess they changed
the limit for vim 7.2.

Carsten