> Hi ,
> I use debian 6.0.0.
> I have installed
> scim scim-m17n scim-gtk2-immodule m17n-db im-switch
> My vim has lots of features
> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Jul 12 2010 02:31:36)
> Included patches: 1-445
> Modified by [hidden email] > <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Compiled by [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
> +arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
> +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
> +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs +dnd -ebcdic
> +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
> +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
> +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
> +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm
> -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte
> +multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra +perl
> +printer +profile +python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft +ruby +scrollbind
> +signs +smartindent -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
> +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl +terminfo +termresponse
> +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
> +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
> +X11 -xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
> I also read http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/mbyte.html >
> I can write hindi fine in browsers & gedit using transliteration.
> In vim I see that matra & letter are not positioned correctly.
> Like in कु the matra उ appears before क not below it.
> Here is Screenshot --> www.linuxquestions.orghas begun/qhas
> I am using 'Akshar Unicode' . 'Monospace' does not help either.
> Do you get such problem ? If not , what font you use ?
> Thank you.
Devanagari, and Indian-subcontinent scripts in general, are very
difficult for an editor like Vim, which was originally meant to render
one character in one cell at a time in left-to-right sequence. Its
capabilities were extended for East-Asian scripts (where "wide" CJK
characters are displayed in two cells each), for Hebrew (display the
whole split-window right-to-left), for Arabic (one glyph at a time,
which may represent two characters in the case of lam-alif, and whose
shape may vary depending on position in the "word", in one cell at a
time but right to left -- and I put quotes around "word" because some
"non-joining" letters such as alif, dal, dhal, raa, zaay and waw end a
"word" even in the middle of a word), and for Unicode composing
characters (one or more glyphs at a time, in one cell), but AFAIK the
problem of nagari and similar Hindic scripts in Vim hasn't yet been tackled.
If you want to try solving this problem, you're welcome, but it won't be
The only possible interpretation of any research whatever in the
`social sciences' is: some do, some don't.
-- Ernest Rutherford