hoist headers

David J Patrick-2
I'm anticipating some nice enhancements to vo that will make "hoisting"
less needed for editing an outline, but one place where hoisting will be
central is the output of a specified "branch" to a distinct media,
sayy.. web-page and/or booklet. This is where I get's a bit tricky; in
either of those cases, while it may be the content of the branch I'm
after, the sub-content might also need to carry with it some header
material that was in the master outline. Can you think of a
not-too-crazy way to modify the (still maturing) hoisting behavior to
include some metadata from the source document ?
djp

Re: hoist headers

Noel Henson
On Saturday 05 September 2009, David J Patrick wrote:

> I'm anticipating some nice enhancements to vo that will make "hoisting"
> less needed for editing an outline, but one place where hoisting will be
> central is the output of a specified "branch" to a distinct media,
> sayy.. web-page and/or booklet. This is where I get's a bit tricky; in
> either of those cases, while it may be the content of the branch I'm
> after, the sub-content might also need to carry with it some header
> material that was in the master outline. Can you think of a
> not-too-crazy way to modify the (still maturing) hoisting behavior to
> include some metadata from the source document ?
> djp

David,

Have you looked at some of the command-line tools? They only run on *nix
systems (sorry, VO for Windows will probably always be a second-class
citizen). I use a combination of otlhead, otlgrep and otlreorder to
generate sub-outlines for sharing and html generation.

otlhead works like head but left-wise on outlines instead of top-wise on
files. Great for generating summaries by removing detail.

otlgrep works like grep but outputs matching trees instead of matching
lines.

otlreorder works like grep but reorders the outline to focus on the
searched terms. Oh, dang, I don't believe I've ever shared otlreorder with
anyone; at least not on my website. :/

You can find some simple examples at www.noels-lab.com/software.html. In
fact, I use some of the tools there with a specially formatted outline to
generate the entire site from a VO file.

Noel

Re: hoist headers

Ross Boylan
On Sat, 2009-09-05 at 21:49 -0700, Noel Henson wrote:
> Have you looked at some of the command-line tools? They only run on
> *nix
> systems (sorry, VO for Windows will probably always be a second-class
> citizen). I use a combination of otlhead, otlgrep and otlreorder to
> generate sub-outlines for sharing and html generation.
Could Windows users use them with cygwin?

I realize that may be too much hassle for many people, but it would
provide an escape hatch for some.

Ross Boylan

Re: hoist headers

Noel Henson
On Sunday 06 September 2009, Ross Boylan wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-09-05 at 21:49 -0700, Noel Henson wrote:
> > Have you looked at some of the command-line tools? They only run on
> > *nix
> > systems (sorry, VO for Windows will probably always be a second-class
> > citizen). I use a combination of otlhead, otlgrep and otlreorder to
> > generate sub-outlines for sharing and html generation.
>
> Could Windows users use them with cygwin?
>
> I realize that may be too much hassle for many people, but it would
> provide an escape hatch for some.
>
> Ross Boylan

I have used cygwin in the past. It seems to work. But for most Windows
users, they'll also have to install python, ruby and perhaps (g)awk to run
many of the user-created scripts.

On the brighter side, 2html.vim can be used for HTML output, complete with
folding, even on Windows. I still need to integrate VO with it for pretty
output.

Noel

Re: hoist headers

David J Patrick-2
Noel Henson wrote:
> Have you looked at some of the command-line tools? They only run on *nix
> systems (sorry, VO for Windows will probably always be a second-class
> citizen). I use a combination of otlhead, otlgrep and otlreorder to
> generate sub-outlines for sharing and html generation.

What I'm finding is that certain types of output, notably LaTeX, expects
certain header information. What I'm trying to enable, is a hypothetic
monster master file, that has required header information, and I should
be able to start from any branch, hoist and render output in various
formats, thinking a hoist+metadata ( ,,H ?) might do it.

:ha blog
:ha book
:ha pamphlet
:ha website
(or something like that)

but the chosen branch and the appropriate header info are so far apart.
..Maybe that header info is assembled by the :ha script..

.. I'm just learning.. and slow :-/

> otlhead works like head but left-wise on outlines instead of top-wise on
> files. Great for generating summaries by removing detail.
>
> otlgrep works like grep but outputs matching trees instead of matching
> lines.
>
> otlreorder works like grep but reorders the outline to focus on the
> searched terms. Oh, dang, I don't believe I've ever shared otlreorder with
> anyone; at least not on my website. :/
>
> You can find some simple examples at www.noels-lab.com/software.html. In
> fact, I use some of the tools there with a specially formatted outline to
> generate the entire site from a VO file.

These tools look brilliant, and I'm going to learn to use 'em.
thanks Noel,
djp

Re: hoist headers

David J Patrick-2
David J Patrick wrote:
> formats, thinking a hoist+metadata ( ,,H ?) might do it.
oops, that's for "manual dehoisting"

Re: hoist headers

Herbert Sitz
Noel Henson wrote
Have you looked at some of the command-line tools? They only run on *nix
systems (sorry, VO for Windows will probably always be a second-class
citizen). I use a combination of otlhead, otlgrep and otlreorder to
generate sub-outlines for sharing and html generation.

[. . .]
You can find some simple examples at www.noels-lab.com/software.html. In
fact, I use some of the tools there with a specially formatted outline to
generate the entire site from a VO file.

Noel
Nice, I hadn't seen those before.  Thanks for those.  Little tools like that are one of the joys of using text-based data files.  I think they should all be usable for someone using Cygwin on Windows.  I'll check out if I get a chance. -- Herb