how can I ogonki-fy on Wind*ws?

Joseph Schiller

Hi,

I love Vim's language support, but I am puzzled how
can I ogonkify on Wind*ws platform as well as I can on
Linux? For example, to enter extended latin-1
characters in edit mode I use [CTRL+SHIFT+CODE]
combinations as follows:

[CTRL+SHIFT+<...>]:Ą<104>;ą<105>;Ć<106>;ć<107>;Ę<118>;ę<119>;
Ł<141>;ł<142>;Ń<143>;ń<144>;Ó<D3>;ó<F3>;Ś<15A>;ś<15B>;Ż<17B>;
ż<17C>;Ź<179>;ź<17A>

The <number> in angle brackets corresponds to 2 or 3
key combinations, and there are others for other
languages.

This shortcut works on gVim 7.0.35 built on SuSE 10.0
with GTK+ 1.8.4 with +multi_byte and does not work on
gVim 6.3 built on Damn Small Linux 3.5 normal version
with GTK GUI with -multi_byte running on WinXP inside
an emulator. It does not work in gVim 7.1 on
MS-Wind*ws 32 bit with OLE support with
+multi_byte_ime/dyn. Apparently the key is +multi_byte
option.

Inside the typical MS enabled apps we can use ALT+CODE
using 4 digit combo when entered from the number
keypad, such as MS Word. I've searched in the Vim
documentation and tried google, but could not find any
answers.

Regards,

Joe

Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
thing.  Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: how can I ogonki-fy on Wind*ws?

Camillo Särs-2

Joseph Schiller wrote:
> Inside the typical MS enabled apps we can use ALT+CODE
> using 4 digit combo when entered from the number
> keypad, such as MS Word. I've searched in the Vim
> documentation and tried google, but could not find any
> answers.

:help i_CTRL-V_digit

//Ged
--
Camillo Särs <[hidden email]>             Aim for the impossible and you
http://www.ged.fi                       will achieve the improbable

Joseph Schiller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I love Vim's language support, but I am puzzled how
> can I ogonkify on Wind*ws platform as well as I can on
> Linux? For example, to enter extended latin-1
> characters in edit mode I use [CTRL+SHIFT+CODE]
> combinations as follows:
>
> [CTRL+SHIFT+<...>]:Ą<104>;ą<105>;Ć<106>;ć<107>;Ę<118>;ę<119>;
> Ł<141>;ł<142>;Ń<143>;ń<144>;Ó<D3>;ó<F3>;Ś<15A>;ś<15B>;Ż<17B>;
> ż<17C>;Ź<179>;ź<17A>
>
> The<number>  in angle brackets corresponds to 2 or 3
> key combinations, and there are others for other
> languages.
>
> This shortcut works on gVim 7.0.35 built on SuSE 10.0
> with GTK+ 1.8.4 with +multi_byte and does not work on
> gVim 6.3 built on Damn Small Linux 3.5 normal version
> with GTK GUI with -multi_byte running on WinXP inside
> an emulator. It does not work in gVim 7.1 on
> MS-Wind*ws 32 bit with OLE support with
> +multi_byte_ime/dyn. Apparently the key is +multi_byte
> option.
>
> Inside the typical MS enabled apps we can use ALT+CODE
> using 4 digit combo when entered from the number
> keypad, such as MS Word. I've searched in the Vim
> documentation and tried google, but could not find any
> answers.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe

Note: the present reply is in UTF-8

On Windows, +multi_byte is usually part of +multi_byte_ime/dyn. You can
check it by

        :echo has("multi_byte")

(similarly for any other feature): the answer will be nonzero if and
only if the feature is present.

In Vim (and especially in gvim, which isn't bound by what your text
console can show), you can enter a character by its decimal or hex
value, but there is even better: digraphs. You use them by hitting
Ctrl-K in Insert mode, followed by two keys which define the "special
character" you want to enter. Since the ogonek corresponds (in Vim
digraphs) to a semicolon, you use
^KA; for Ą
^Ka; for ą
^KE; for Ę
^Ke; for ę
etc.
Similarly, the acute accent is represented by an apostrophe, so you type
^KC' for Ć
^Kc' for ć
^KO' for Ó
^Ko' for ó
etc.
and, for other diacritics:
^KL/ for Ł
^Kl/ for ł
etc.

These are so practical that whenever I want to use in an email (or in a
type-in field on a web page) a character which isn't on my keyboard (or
maybe it is, but I don't know where) I enter it in gvim and transfer it
over the clipboard. I used this method for the Polish letters above, in
particular. (On this Linux system, my Belgian keyboard can make many
"special" letters by means of at least five "dead keys", but if it can
make ogonki and barred L's I don't know how.)

See
        :help i_CTRL-V_digit
        :help digraph.txt
        :help digraphs-default
        :digraphs

Welcome thy neighbor into thy fallout shelter.  He'll come in handy if
you run out of food.
                -- Dean McLaughlin.