how to get gvim to open a file over ssh?

how to get gvim to open a file over ssh?

pixelterra
In ubuntu linux:

I have a remote (ssh) connection through nautilus (gui file manager).
When I right-click a file, I can open, edit and save the file in "text
editor" without any problem. When I open the file in gvim, it is empty.

What can I do to solve this?

Thanks for any help

Re: how to get gvim to open a file over ssh?

A.J.Mechelynck
ben lieb wrote:

> In ubuntu linux:
>
> I have a remote (ssh) connection through nautilus (gui file manager).
> When I right-click a file, I can open, edit and save the file in "text
> editor" without any problem. When I open the file in gvim, it is empty.
>
> What can I do to solve this?
>
> Thanks for any help

Method I: Edit a local copy, and download/upload it as a separate step.

Method II: see
        :help netrw.txt
        :help netrw-start
        :help netrw-scp
        :help netrw-externapp
        :help netrw-read
        :help netrw-write

IIUC, in this case every transfer requires inputting a username and password
-- at least if you cannot configure the server and client yourself, see
        :help netrw-listhack

If little green men land in your back yard, hide any little green women
you've got in the house.
                -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"

Re: how to get gvim to open a file over ssh?

Martin Krischik
Am Freitag 04 Mai 2007 schrieb A.J.Mechelynck:

> IIUC, in this case every transfer requires inputting a username and
> password -- at least if you cannot configure the server and client
> yourself, see

I never type a password wenn using netrw. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ssh-agent

Wikipedia is - of course - only a description. You need to follow the further
links for setup informations.

Martin

--
Martin Krischik
mailto://[hidden email]

Re: how to get gvim to open a file over ssh?

Muskoka Auto Parts Limited

On 4-May-07, at 3:07 PM, ben lieb wrote:
> In ubuntu linux:
> I have a remote (ssh) connection through nautilus (gui file manager).
> When I right-click a file, I can open, edit and save the file in "text
> editor" without any problem. When I open the file in gvim, it is
> empty.
>
> What can I do to solve this?

I kept a copy of this thread from March but haven't looked into it
any further.
I think it might fix you up - please let me know if you decide to try
it out how it works
Brian