how to make vim's spell checking consider only british spelling correct?

how to make vim's spell checking consider only british spelling correct?

Caveman Al Toraboran
hi - i have `:set spellang=en_gb spell`, but
things like "color" and "minimize" are still not
highlighted as false.

my goal is to have a 100% british english spell
checking.

Q: how to make vim consider them typos?

rgrds,
cm.

Re: how to make vim's spell checking consider only british spelling correct?

Caveman Al Toraboran
On Monday, September 14, 2020 10:39 AM, 'Caveman Al Toraboran' via vim_use <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi - i have `:set spellang=en_gb spell`, but

typo:  'spelllang' with the triple 'l's.

Re: how to make vim's spell checking consider only british spelling correct?

Caveman Al Toraboran
no reply yet.  so i guess not easily possible?

On Monday, September 14, 2020 10:39 AM, 'Caveman Al Toraboran' via vim_use <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi - i have `:set spellang=en_gb spell`, but
> things like "color" and "minimize" are still not
> highlighted as false.
>
> my goal is to have a 100% british english spell
> checking.
>
> Q: how to make vim consider them typos?
>
> rgrds,
> cm.

Re: how to make vim's spell checking consider only british spelling correct?

Dominique Pellé
Caveman Al Toraboran' wrote:

> no reply yet.  so i guess not easily possible?

It works as expected for me, using vim-8.2.1690.

- with ":set spellllang=en_gb spell", vim highlights
  the word "color" as misspelled but not the word "colour".
- with ":set spelllang=en_us spell", vim highlights
  the word "colour" as misspelled but not the word "color".

It uses the color of highlight group SpellLocal.

Maybe your color scheme does not highlight the
the group SpellLocal?  For spell errors, Vim uses either
SpellBad, SpellCap, SpellLocal or SpellRare. See
their meaning in :help highlight-groups.

What happens with a standard colorscheme of vim
such as ":colorscheme desert"?

Try also the command :spellinfo.  It may show that you're
using a non-standard spell file in your ~/.vim/... directory.

Regards
Dominique

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 4:15 AM, Dominique Pellé <[hidden email]> wrote:

>     Maybe your color scheme does not highlight the
>     the group SpellLocal? For spell errors, Vim uses either
>     SpellBad, SpellCap, SpellLocal or SpellRare. See
>     their meaning in :help highlight-groups.

yes, that was it!

>     What happens with a standard colorscheme of vim
>     such as ":colorscheme desert"?

works!  i should define ":hi SpellLocal ..." for
my custom-ish theme.

thanks a lot.