how to set spell checking on only for the en_us

how to set spell checking on only for the en_us

Kiwon Um

Hello there.

I have a question for the vim's favorite function, spell check. Is
there any way to turn spell checking on only for the en_us, not for
other languages?

Best regards,
Kiwon Um.

Re: how to set spell checking on only for the en_us

Tony Mechelynck

On 24/06/08 04:58, Kiwon Um wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> I have a question for the vim's favorite function, spell check. Is
> there any way to turn spell checking on only for the en_us, not for
> other languages?
>
> Best regards,
> Kiwon Um.

        :set spell spelllang=en_us

See ":help 'spelllang'"

Q:  What is "SMOORPLAY"?
A:  It's what SMURFS do before they SMUCK, of course!

Re: how to set spell checking on only for the en_us

Kiwon Um

Thanks for your answer.

On 6월24일, 오후12시27분, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 24/06/08 04:58, Kiwon Um wrote:
>
> > Hello there.
>
> > I have a question for the vim's favorite function, spell check. Is
> > there any way to turn spell checking on only for the en_us, not for
> > other languages?
>
> > Best regards,
> > Kiwon Um.
>
>         :set spell spelllang=en_us

This does not work for me. I've already tested this for my case. I'm
now writing in Korean and English with UTF-8 encoding. Even though I
set spelllang=en_us, all Korean words are underlined as misspelled. Is
it a bug, then?

On 24/06/08 06:32, Kiwon Um wrote:

> Thanks for your answer.
>
> On 6월24일, 오후12시27분, Tony Mechelynck<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On 24/06/08 04:58, Kiwon Um wrote:
>>
>>> Hello there.
>>> I have a question for the vim's favorite function, spell check. Is
>>> there any way to turn spell checking on only for the en_us, not for
>>> other languages?
>>> Best regards,
>>> Kiwon Um.
>>          :set spell spelllang=en_us
>>

> This does not work for me. I've already tested this for my case. I'm
> now writing in Korean and English with UTF-8 encoding. Even though I
> set spelllang=en_us, all Korean words are underlined as misspelled. Is
> it a bug, then?

On the contrary, since Korean words are not en_US words, they are
underlined as spelling errors. That's what you said you wanted, isn't
it? If you want to recognise _both_ en_US _and_ Korean words are valid,
then you should use

        :set spelllang=en_us,ko

20. When looking at a pageful of someone else's links, you notice all of
them
    are already highlighted in purple.

Re: how to set spell checking on only for the en_us

Kiwon Um

Thanks again.

On 6월24일, 오후2시16분, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 24/06/08 06:32, Kiwon Um wrote:
>

> > Thanks for your answer.
>
> > On 6월24일, 오후12시27분, Tony Mechelynck<[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> >>          :set spell spelllang=en_us
>
> > This does not work for me. I've already tested this for my case. I'm
> > now writing in Korean and English with UTF-8 encoding. Even though I
> > set spelllang=en_us, all Korean words are underlined as misspelled. Is
> > it a bug, then?
>
> On the contrary, since Korean words are not en_US words, they are
> underlined as spelling errors. That's what you said you wanted, isn't
> it? If you want to recognise _both_ en_US _and_ Korean words are valid,
> then you should use
>
>         :set spelllang=en_us,ko

When I try to set this option, I just get a message:
Warning: Cannot find word list "ko.utf-8.spl" or "ko.ascii.spl"

Actually even though I don't know how mechanism is used for the spell
cheking with en_us.ascii.spl, It seems to be an important file for it.
Can I find this file somewhere?

Best regards,
Kiwon.

Re: how to set spell checking on only for the en_us

bill lam

Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On the contrary, since Korean words are not en_US words, they are
> underlined as spelling errors. That's what you said you wanted, isn't
> it? If you want to recognise _both_ en_US _and_ Korean words are valid,
> then you should use
>
> :set spelllang=en_us,ko

I don't know if korean like chinese in this aspect that each chinese character
is always a valid character.  It is very hard to mechanically judge if phrase
formed by adjacent chinese characters is legal or not, because everything depend
on context.  In OpenOffice, when spell checking text containing both english and
chinese, only english will be checked and all chinese will be assumed valid.  I
think that Kiwon Um expected the same behavior (and me too). If vim fails to
recognize that chinese (or korean? I'm not sure) characters do not need spelling
check and marked them as misspelled, then it is a bug IMO.

regards,

Re: how to set spell checking on only for the en_us

Kiwon Um

Thanks Bill Lam.

On 6월27일, 오전12시33분, bill lam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> > On the contrary, since Korean words are not en_US words, they are
> > underlined as spelling errors. That's what you said you wanted, isn't
> > it? If you want to recognise _both_ en_US _and_ Korean words are valid,
> > then you should use
>
> >    :set spelllang=en_us,ko
>
> I don't know if korean like chinese in this aspect that each chinese character
> is always a valid character.  It is very hard to mechanically judge if phrase
> formed by adjacent chinese characters is legal or not, because everything depend
> on context.  In OpenOffice, when spell checking text containing both english and
> chinese, only english will be checked and all chinese will be assumed valid.  I
> think that Kiwon Um expected the same behavior (and me too). If vim fails to
> recognize that chinese (or korean? I'm not sure) characters do not need spelling
> check and marked them as misspelled, then it is a bug IMO.

Right, I agree with you. IMHO, it would be worth vim has the option
(if possible) to turn on/off for spell checking function to specific
languages which has some difficulty to handle its correctness in
normal English checking mechanism. Actually, when the first time I
reported this issue was that I were wondering if vim has it or not.

Best regards,
Kiwon