how to stop vim highlighting pairs of symbol?

how to stop vim highlighting pairs of symbol?

Weiwu Zhang

Dear all

With vim there is a feature that of cursor is on a pair symbol
(typically a parentheses), the corresponding pairing symbol is
highlighted. This is annoying for me because when my cursor is just
passing by a pair symbol, it slowed down cursor movement and make it
difficult to stop cursor at wanted place.

I wish to turn off this behavior but cannot find a clue in help
documents. I wish to either close it or make highlight happen only after
certain period of time, e.g. if cursor stop on a pair symbol, highlight
the corresponding pair symbol only after I paused 1 second (cursor stay
there 1 second) so I am not getting disturbed if my cursor is just
passing by a pair symbol

Thanks!

--
锐业软服(国内业务)  http://www.realss.cn
Real SoftService      http://www.realss.com

Re: how to stop vim highlighting pairs of symbol?

scott-268

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 12:44:17PM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Dear all
>
> With vim there is a feature that of cursor is on a pair symbol
> (typically a parentheses), the corresponding pairing symbol is
> highlighted. This is annoying for me because when my cursor is just
> passing by a pair symbol, it slowed down cursor movement and make it
> difficult to stop cursor at wanted place.
>
> I wish to turn off this behavior but cannot find a clue in help
> documents. I wish to either close it or make highlight happen only after

   :he showmatch
   :he matchpairs

sc

Re: how to stop vim highlighting pairs of symbol?

Gary Johnson

On 2007-07-22, sc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 12:44:17PM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> >
> > Dear all
> >
> > With vim there is a feature that of cursor is on a pair symbol
> > (typically a parentheses), the corresponding pairing symbol is
> > highlighted. This is annoying for me because when my cursor is just
> > passing by a pair symbol, it slowed down cursor movement and make it
> > difficult to stop cursor at wanted place.
> >
> > I wish to turn off this behavior but cannot find a clue in help
> > documents. I wish to either close it or make highlight happen only after
>
>    :he showmatch
>    :he matchpairs

Also

   :he matchparen

HTH,
Gary

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 22:24 -0700, Gary Johnson wrote:
> >    :he showmatch
> >    :he matchpairs
>
> Also
>
>    :he matchparen

I've read he showmatch & matchpairs before posting my question, both
seems not related to the issue I am having. As Gray Johnson wrote,
matchparen is the right place to look. Thanks.

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Dear all
>
> With vim there is a feature that of cursor is on a pair symbol
> (typically a parentheses), the corresponding pairing symbol is
> highlighted. This is annoying for me because when my cursor is just
> passing by a pair symbol, it slowed down cursor movement and make it
> difficult to stop cursor at wanted place.
>
> I wish to turn off this behavior but cannot find a clue in help
> documents. I wish to either close it or make highlight happen only after
> certain period of time, e.g. if cursor stop on a pair symbol, highlight
> the corresponding pair symbol only after I paused 1 second (cursor stay
> there 1 second) so I am not getting disturbed if my cursor is just
> passing by a pair symbol
>
> Thanks!

        :3match none

see ":help :3match"

As you reach for the web, a venomous spider appears.  Unable to pull
your hand away in time, the spider promptly, but politely, bites you.
The venom takes affect quickly causing your lips to turn plaid along
with your complexion.  You become dazed, and in your stupor you fall
from the limbs of the tree.  Snap!  Your head falls off and rolls all
over the ground.  The instant before you croak, you hear the whoosh of
a vacuum being filled by the air surrounding your head.  Worse yet, the
spider is suing you for damages.