installing vim plug on linux

Matthew Pritchard
Hello i am wanting to install vim plug on linux. I understand that vim plug installs to the autoload directory but I am unsure what this is exaclty.
When I enter vim --version in terminal it shows that my vimrc file is in the following directory.

system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
 user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
 user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
  defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"

Is one of these the autoload directory? If not where is the autoload directory. If not where is it? Do I have to create it? How?

Re: installing vim plug on linux

Gary Johnson-4
On 2020-04-25, Matthew Pritchard wrote:

> Hello i am wanting to install vim plug on linux. I understand that vim plug
> installs to the autoload directory but I am unsure what this is exaclty.
> When I enter vim --version in terminal it shows that my vimrc file is in the
> following directory.
>
> system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
>  user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
>  2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
>  user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
>   defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim"
>   fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
>
> Is one of these the autoload directory? If not where is the autoload directory.
> If not where is it? Do I have to create it? How?

The autoload directory into which you should install a plugin is
~/.vim/autoload.  You can create it with this command, executed at
your shell prompt:

    $ mkdir -p ~/.vim/autoload

Remember never to install your own files into any directory under
$VIMRUNTIME as you may lose them when you update Vim.

Regards,
Gary

Re: installing vim plug on linux

Benjamin Esham-2
Matthew Pritchard wrote:

> Hello i am wanting to install vim plug on linux. I understand that vim
> plug installs to the autoload directory but I am unsure what this is
> exaclty. When I enter vim --version in terminal it shows that my vimrc
> file is in the following directory. [...] Is one of these the autoload
> directory? If not where is the autoload directory. If not where is it? Do
> I have to create it? How?

Between this mailing list and comp.editors this is your fourth post asking
this same question. Have you followed the suggestions that I and others have
posted for you? If so, what were the results?

(It's considered rude to post the same question again and again, especially
if other people are posting responses and you're ignoring them. It clutters
the list/group and makes it difficult for anyone with the same question to
find an answer. If someone's suggestion doesn't work for you, reply to their
post and describe what you did and what happened.)

Benjamin