introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

Yuma Antoine Decaux
Hi all,

As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?

I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.

Any other blind VIM users out therre can give me a primer?

Thanks, and best regards

Yuma

"Light has no value without darkness"
Mob: +61 (0)410732547
Skype: Shainobi1

This message is protected by article 4-210 of a certain book of laws but you don't have to worry about privacy issues if you are the intended recipient. However, if any freakish circumstance such as ip sniffing, honey pot open relay servers or an honest mistake caused a transmission error, please advise the sender and throw your laptop into a bubble bath to avoid all illicit data retention.

Re: introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

Tony Mechelynck
On May 19, 8:59 am, Yuma Antoine Decaux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?
>
> I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.
>
> Any other blind VIM users out therre can give me a primer?
>
> Thanks, and best regards
>
> Yuma
[...]
I'm not blind myself, but this is a question about Vim in general
rather than specifically about Vim *on the Mac*. I'm redirecting it to
the vim_use list where more people would be reading it.

Re: introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

Yuma Antoine Decaux
Actually, it was mac oriented as i use a mac for vim.

Just installed it and there's a window with a scroll bar. Nothing else. so the question is answered. hopefully the command line only version is more accomodating....

On 19/05/2013, at 6:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 19, 8:59 am, Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamy...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Steven Michalske
Hello,

I have blind co-workers that program.  I will make an effort to ask them their preferred coding environment.

Steve

On May 18, 2013, at 11:59 PM, Yuma Antoine Decaux <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?

I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.

Any other blind VIM users out therre can give me a primer?

Thanks, and best regards

Yuma

<zato1.jpg>

"Light has no value without darkness"
Mob: +61 (0)410732547
Skype: Shainobi1

This message is protected by article 4-210 of a certain book of laws but you don't have to worry about privacy issues if you are the intended recipient. However, if any freakish circumstance such as ip sniffing, honey pot open relay servers or an honest mistake caused a transmission error, please advise the sender and throw your laptop into a bubble bath to avoid all illicit data retention.

Re: introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

Yuma Antoine Decaux
Hi Steven,

That would be very well appreciated. There are no other blind programming students here at uni so no-one really knows how to go about certain obstacles i'm encountering, and some knowledge of best practice methods on a screen reader would really help me advance in my courses.

On 20/05/2013, at 4:57 AM, Steven Michalske <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I was wondering if you were able to speak to your blind colleagues about their coding environment.

[...]

Sylvain Soliman-2
* Yuma Antoine Decaux <[hidden email]>:
> As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?
>
> I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.

Ok, since I haven't seen anything really concrete in the Vim direction,
I'll be an heretic for once and recommend you check out
http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

As far as I know, this is the best and most complete speech-oriented
interface for a programming editor. I'm afraid there is nothing as
complete for Vim. For instance, emacspeak can use different voices to
simulate syntax coloring when reading code.

I have no personal experience of it, but heard mostly good things about it
(not always as responsive as could be, but that is not so bad).

Best,

        Sylvain
        once an Emacs user

--
Sylvain Soliman <[hidden email]>   GnuPG Public Key: 0x0F53AF99
Page personnelle                   http://contraintes.inria.fr/~soliman/

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

Yuma Antoine Decaux
Hi Steven,

Sorry about that. didnt take that into account. I thought developers had their own section of some sort in small groupuscules. but just the fact that there are blind programmers out there inspires me to keep going with this degree.

On 23/05/2013, at 2:58 AM, Steven Michalske <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Sylvain,

Français peut-être?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm checking it out now, and there was a discussion between lectures on how programmers aren't programmers if they don't know emacs.

Cheers