is the borland compiler deprecated

Bruce Mellows
Bram (and Tony)

There seems to have been some talk about how the Borland compiler has
some deficiencies with wide character handling, and that those that
build executable for public consumption no longer use the Borland
compiler, is this so ???

If so, can we re-instate those parts that are #if'd out for Borland C,
as they are theoretically not a problem for those that build (who have
written off the compiler), and would mean that I don't have to
re-instate them myself, because I have no problem with them (as I have
working version of the libraries in question).

Bottom line is, why have #if's for a compiler you "no longer support" ?

Thank you

Re: is the borland compiler deprecated

A.J.Mechelynck
Bruce Mellows wrote:

> Bram (and Tony)
>

> There seems to have been some talk about how the Borland compiler has
> some deficiencies with wide character handling, and that those that
> build executable for public consumption no longer use the Borland
> compiler, is this so ???
>
> If so, can we re-instate those parts that are #if'd out for Borland C,
> as they are theoretically not a problem for those that build (who have
> written off the compiler), and would mean that I don't have to
> re-instate them myself, because I have no problem with them (as I have
> working version of the libraries in question).
>
> Bottom line is, why have #if's for a compiler you "no longer support" ?
>

> Thank you

This is partly out of my competence (Bram has the final say); yet I
think I can say the following:

- I haven't written a single line of C code for Vim; but I have compiled
many "official" patchlevels of 6.3 and snapshots of 7.00aa using Bram's
sources. I have used BCC before; nowadays I use Cygwin's gcc to build
native-Windows executables not relying on the Cygwin libraries.
Strangely enough, I find it easier this way, and the results are at
least as good AFAICT.

- I have had problems in the past with non-ASCII characters in filenames
when running BCC-built versions on W98; it seems that on NT-based
systems the same versions run OK. At some point (between two
patchlevels) it was even impossible to open a file on W98 in a Vim built
with BCC, when 'encoding' was set to UTF-8. (I am not on W98 anymore.)

- You can always propose a patch, but please keep in mind that it should
be usable by people with other system configurations than yours: the
fact that you have working libraries doesn't mean that everyone who
compiles with BCC has them, especially if they are on W95/98

- if the #ifdef and #if lines disable some feature that you would like
to use, it is probably better to refine the condition rather than remove
the #if altogether. They are at least a sign that something was found in
the past to be wrong without them.

- Test your changes on your system, then try to have people with
different system configurations test them, in order to check that what
makes it work on your system doesn't break it on another.

Re: is the borland compiler deprecated

Bruce -

> There seems to have been some talk about how the Borland compiler has
> some deficiencies with wide character handling, and that those that
> build executable for public consumption no longer use the Borland
> compiler, is this so ???
>
> If so, can we re-instate those parts that are #if'd out for Borland C,
> as they are theoretically not a problem for those that build (who have
> written off the compiler), and would mean that I don't have to
> re-instate them myself, because I have no problem with them (as I have
> working version of the libraries in question).
>
> Bottom line is, why have #if's for a compiler you "no longer support" ?

The Borland compiler doesn't work well for wide characters on Windows
95/98.  I think it's OK for XP.

We did try to work around the problems, but it's clumsy.  Thus if
someone just has the Borland compiler he will still get something that
mostly works.

Currently the MSVC compiler is also free, but someone might not want to
download and install it.

- Bram

--
BEDEVERE:        And what do you burn, apart from witches?
FOURTH VILLAGER: ... Wood?