isident and iskeyword treat @ differently

John Little-4
(On Linux with encoding=utf-8) After

    :set isident=@ iskeyword=@

\k matches Greek letters, but \i does not.  The help states that both have the format of isfname, which says

        Multi-byte characters 256 and above are always included, only the
        characters up to 255 are specified with this option.

While I'm at it, \k (and \f) do not match some punctuation, even above 256. For example,

    ; U+037E GREEK QUESTION MARK

IMO this is good, perhaps the help should be revised.

Regards, John Little

Re: isident and iskeyword treat @ differently

Bram Moolenaar

John Little wrote:

> (On Linux with encoding=utf-8) After
>
>     :set isident=@ iskeyword=@
>
> \k matches Greek letters, but \i does not.  The help states that both have the format of isfname, which says
>
> Multi-byte characters 256 and above are always included, only the
> characters up to 255 are specified with this option.

Well, it uses the format of 'isfname', but not the meaning.

> While I'm at it, \k (and \f) do not match some punctuation, even above 256. For example,
>
>     ; U+037E GREEK QUESTION MARK
>
> IMO this is good, perhaps the help should be revised.

Yes, changing the meaning will cause trouble.

Perhaps it's sufficient to mention the meaning for the option.  for
'isident':
        See 'isfname' for a description of the format of this
        option.  For '@' only characters up to 255 are used.

For 'iskeyword':
        See 'isfname' for a description of the format of this option.
        For '@' characters above 255 check the "word" character class.

83. Batteries in the TV remote now last for months.