keymap problem, mapping '2' and '6' to Char

keymap problem, mapping '2' and '6' to Char

krbeesley

        I've got a vim keymap problem when trying to map digits to Char

I've got a keymap with mappings like the following, and they work
perfectly:

u    <Char-0x1042D>
I     <Char-0x1042E>
E    <Char-0x1042F>
U    <Char-0x10433>
aJ   <Char-0x10434>
aY   <Char-0x10434>
a     <Char-0x10430>
ae   <Char-0x10430>

But if I have, in the same keymap, a digit on the left-hand-side, e.g.

6    <Char-0x10431>
2    <Char-0x10432>

then it does NOT work.  Rather the 2 or 6 is rendered on the screen
literally,
without mapping to the Unicode (Deseret Alphabet) code point.

And the following doesn't work any better.  There's still no mapping.
<Char-0x36>    <Char-0x10432>

Bug? or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Ken

Re: keymap problem, mapping '2' and '6' to Char

Nico Weber-3

> I've got a vim keymap problem when trying to map digits to Char
>
> But if I have, in the same keymap, a digit on the left-hand-side, e.g.
>
> 6    <Char-0x10431>
> 2    <Char-0x10432>
>
> then it does NOT work.  Rather the 2 or 6 is rendered on the screen
> literally,
> without mapping to the Unicode (Deseret Alphabet) code point.
>
> Bug? or am I doing something wrong?

Probably a bug. Which version are you using? It works ok with the
latest version of MacVim and the terminal version that's preinstalled
(both OS X).

Nico

Re: keymap problem, mapping '2' and '6' to Char

krbeesley

Nico,

Background:  I'm running OS X version 10.4.10

I just installed the latest MacVim and tried it with a version of
DejaVuSansMono.ttf, augmented
with (monowidth) glyphs, the same width as the original
DejaVuSansMono.ttf glyphs,
for the Deseret Alphabet block (U+10400).   It doesn't seem to work
for me.  When I select my
Deseret Alphabet keymap and try to type Deseret Alphabet, I see
pseudo glyphs in boxes
rendered on the screen.

Yesterday I downloaded, via svn, 7.1.135 and got it compiled and
running on OS X.
I also got 7.1.135 running on Red Hat Linux.    These seem to work
better, for my Deseret
Alphabet editing, than MacVim, using the augmented version of
DejaVuSansMono.ttf.
Not perfect yet, but better.

I see the keymap problem (involving digits on the left-hand-side of
mappings) on both
platforms with 7.1.135, and with MacVim.  I'm confused to see your
report that it works
for you in the latest version of MacVim.

When using MacVim, it complained about setting 'macatsui' in
my .gvimrc file.  It also complained
about setting 'nomacatsui'.   So I took out both for the tests.
Would you consider sharing your
.gvimrc file--perhaps there's something in there that makes it work
better with MacVim.

Ken

On 5 Oct 2007, at 04:01, Nico Weber wrote:

>> I've got a vim keymap problem when trying to map digits to Char
>>
>> But if I have, in the same keymap, a digit on the left-hand-side,
>> e.g.
>>
>> 6    <Char-0x10431>
>> 2    <Char-0x10432>
>>
>> then it does NOT work.  Rather the 2 or 6 is rendered on the screen
>> literally,
>> without mapping to the Unicode (Deseret Alphabet) code point.
>>
>> Bug? or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Probably a bug. Which version are you using? It works ok with the
> latest version of MacVim and the terminal version that's preinstalled
> (both OS X).
>
> Nico

Re: keymap problem, mapping '2' and '6' to Char

Tony Mechelynck

Kenneth Beesley wrote:

> Nico,
>
> Background:  I'm running OS X version 10.4.10
>
> I just installed the latest MacVim and tried it with a version of
> DejaVuSansMono.ttf, augmented
> with (monowidth) glyphs, the same width as the original
> DejaVuSansMono.ttf glyphs,
> for the Deseret Alphabet block (U+10400).   It doesn't seem to work
> for me.  When I select my
> Deseret Alphabet keymap and try to type Deseret Alphabet, I see
> pseudo glyphs in boxes
> rendered on the screen.
>
> Yesterday I downloaded, via svn, 7.1.135 and got it compiled and
> running on OS X.
> I also got 7.1.135 running on Red Hat Linux.    These seem to work
> better, for my Deseret
> Alphabet editing, than MacVim, using the augmented version of
> DejaVuSansMono.ttf.
> Not perfect yet, but better.
>
> I see the keymap problem (involving digits on the left-hand-side of
> mappings) on both
> platforms with 7.1.135, and with MacVim.  I'm confused to see your
> report that it works
> for you in the latest version of MacVim.
>
> When using MacVim, it complained about setting 'macatsui' in
> my .gvimrc file.  It also complained
> about setting 'nomacatsui'.   So I took out both for the tests.
> Would you consider sharing your
> .gvimrc file--perhaps there's something in there that makes it work
> better with MacVim.
>
> Ken

The 'macatsui' option exists only in Mac GUI versions and "may become obsolete
in the future". Therefore, you should check for it before using it, e.g.:

        if exists('+macatsui')
                set nomacatsui
        endif

(When the option is present, it defaults to TRUE according to ":help 'macatsui'".)

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...

Fwd: keymap problem, mapping '2' and '6' to Char

Nico Weber-3

Forwarding this as well. How exactly are you setting up your keymaps?
I tried `:imap 2 a`, after that hitting 2 inserts an a in insert
mode. Which keyboard layout are you using? It worked fine for me with
German and Canadian (like US, but other flag ;-) ) layouts.

Nico

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Kenneth Beesley <[hidden email]>
> Date: October 5, 2007 7:25:26 PM GMT+02:00
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: keymap problem, mapping '2'  and '6' to Char
>

> Nico,
>
> Background:  I'm running OS X version 10.4.10
>
> I just installed the latest MacVim and tried it with a version of
> DejaVuSansMono.ttf, augmented
> with (monowidth) glyphs, the same width as the original
> DejaVuSansMono.ttf glyphs,
> for the Deseret Alphabet block (U+10400).   It doesn't seem to work
> for me.  When I select my
> Deseret Alphabet keymap and try to type Deseret Alphabet, I see
> pseudo glyphs in boxes
> rendered on the screen.
>
> Yesterday I downloaded, via svn, 7.1.135 and got it compiled and
> running on OS X.
> I also got 7.1.135 running on Red Hat Linux.    These seem to work
> better, for my Deseret
> Alphabet editing, than MacVim, using the augmented version of
> DejaVuSansMono.ttf.
> Not perfect yet, but better.
>
> I see the keymap problem (involving digits on the left-hand-side of
> mappings) on both
> platforms with 7.1.135, and with MacVim.  I'm confused to see your
> report that it works
> for you in the latest version of MacVim.
>
> When using MacVim, it complained about setting 'macatsui' in
> my .gvimrc file.  It also complained
> about setting 'nomacatsui'.   So I took out both for the tests.
> Would you consider sharing your
> .gvimrc file--perhaps there's something in there that makes it work
> better with MacVim.

As Tony said, MacVim doesn't have this option.

On 8 Oct 2007, at 13:14, Nico Weber wrote:

> Forwarding this as well. How exactly are you setting up your keymaps?
> I tried `:imap 2 a`, after that hitting 2 inserts an a in insert
> mode. Which keyboard layout are you using?

Nico,

Thanks for your help.

I'm not using the :imap command.  I'm using vim keymap files, stored
in the standard
place:   ~/.vim/keymap/

I define my own keymap files, and the one in question right now is
called deseret-sampa_utf-8.vim
I'll gladly send you (or anyone else) a copy, but I'm reluctant to
attach such a file for
a message going to a distribution list

After the usual header boilerplate, deseret-sampa_utf-8.vim contains
lines like the following:

o        <Char-0x1042C>
oW   <Char-0x1042C>

u       <Char-0x1042D>
I       <Char-0x1042E>
E      <Char-0x1042F>

a       <Char-0x10430>
ae    <Char-0x10430>

6      <Char-0x10431>
2     <Char-0x10432>

U     <Char-0x10433>

aJ     <Char-0x10434>
aY    <Char-0x10434>

aW    <Char-0x10435>
w      <Char-0x10436>

On the left-hand side are ASCII-range input sequences inspired by the
SAMPA
transliteration of the International Phonetic Alphabet.  On the right-
hand side are
the code point values of the Deseret Alphabet characters (block
starting U+10400)
with the corresponding phoneme value.

I select this keymap in vim in the usual way

:set keymap=deseret_sampa_utf-8.vim

and everything works as expected except for the lines having '6' and
'2' on the left-hand side.
When I type 2, for example, instead of a U+10432 character being
entered and displayed, as
expected, I see just '2' on the screen.

Ken

> It worked fine for me with
> German and Canadian (like US, but other flag ;-) ) layouts.
>
> Nico
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Kenneth Beesley <[hidden email]>
>> Date: October 5, 2007 7:25:26 PM GMT+02:00
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: keymap problem, mapping '2'  and '6' to Char
>>

>> Nico,
>>
>> Background:  I'm running OS X version 10.4.10
>>
>> I just installed the latest MacVim and tried it with a version of
>> DejaVuSansMono.ttf, augmented
>> with (monowidth) glyphs, the same width as the original
>> DejaVuSansMono.ttf glyphs,
>> for the Deseret Alphabet block (U+10400).   It doesn't seem to work
>> for me.  When I select my
>> Deseret Alphabet keymap and try to type Deseret Alphabet, I see
>> pseudo glyphs in boxes
>> rendered on the screen.
>>
>> Yesterday I downloaded, via svn, 7.1.135 and got it compiled and
>> running on OS X.
>> I also got 7.1.135 running on Red Hat Linux.    These seem to work
>> better, for my Deseret
>> Alphabet editing, than MacVim, using the augmented version of
>> DejaVuSansMono.ttf.
>> Not perfect yet, but better.
>>
>> I see the keymap problem (involving digits on the left-hand-side of
>> mappings) on both
>> platforms with 7.1.135, and with MacVim.  I'm confused to see your
>> report that it works
>> for you in the latest version of MacVim.
>>
>> When using MacVim, it complained about setting 'macatsui' in
>> my .gvimrc file.  It also complained
>> about setting 'nomacatsui'.   So I took out both for the tests.
>> Would you consider sharing your
>> .gvimrc file--perhaps there's something in there that makes it work
>> better with MacVim.
>
> As Tony said, MacVim doesn't have this option.
>

>> Ken

>>> Probably a bug. Which version are you using? It works ok with the
>>> latest version of MacVim and the terminal version that's
>>> preinstalled
>>> (both OS X).
>>>
>>> Nico

Re: keymap problem, mapping '2' and '6' to Char

krbeesley

MEA CULPA, MEA MAXIMA CULPA.  I found the error in my keymap file,
which was mapping

2   <Char-0x10432>

and later, in the same keymap file, I had

\2  2

with the _intent_ that the latter would allow me to enter a literal 2
by typing
backslash 2.  But the single backslash in \2 simply literalizes the 2 in
the keymap (unnecessarily), with the effect of redefining 2.  The
correct
entry

\\2   2

allows me to enter a literal 2 by typing backslash 2 in INSERT mode,
fixing the problem.

Thanks to Nico and all others who responded.

Ken

Kenneth Beesley wrote:

> MEA CULPA, MEA MAXIMA CULPA.  I found the error in my keymap file,
> which was mapping
>
> 2   <Char-0x10432>
>
> and later, in the same keymap file, I had
>
> \2  2
>
> with the _intent_ that the latter would allow me to enter a literal 2
> by typing
> backslash 2.  But the single backslash in \2 simply literalizes the 2 in
> the keymap (unnecessarily), with the effect of redefining 2.  The
> correct
> entry
>
> \\2   2
>
> allows me to enter a literal 2 by typing backslash 2 in INSERT mode,
> fixing the problem.
>
> Thanks to Nico and all others who responded.
>
> Ken

Since the lines after :loadkeymap are mappings (albeit in a special format),
you could also use

<Bslash>2 2 literal digit two

Kill a commie for Christ!