latest distribution

Jeremy-5
Hello all,
I am really interested in trying out Vim 7.  What is the best way to get
the latest distribution and also update it when it changes?  BTW, I am
running osx.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: latest distribution (Mac OS X)

Axel Kielhorn

Am 27.07.2005 um 19:30 schrieb Jeremy:

> Hello all,
> I am really interested in trying out Vim 7.  What is the best way to
> get the latest distribution and also update it when it changes?  BTW,
> I am running osx.

The best way is to get the source via cvs and build it yourself.
(You'll need the XCode tools that came with Mac OS X.)

There is a description on the vim page about using cvs.

Once you have the source you simply type
  ./configure --enable-multibyte
make
to get the binary.

To update the source simply type
cvs -z3 update
in the vim7 folder and
make
to get the most recent binary.

I ususally do it once a week.

Axel

Re: latest distribution

François Pinard
[Jeremy]

> I am really interested in trying out Vim 7.  What is the best way to
> get the latest distribution and also update it when it changes?

If you already have Python and CVS installed, you may proceed like this.
First install Aap, which you may find at http://www.a-a-p.org . Then, do
something like:

    mkdir SOME-DIRECTORY
    cd SOME-DIRECTORY
    aap -f http://www.a-a-p.org/vim7/main.aap
    aap install

Later, to get up-to-date, you merely do:

    cd SOME-DIRECTORY
    aap update
    aap install

Fran?ois Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca

Re: latest distribution

Jeremy wrote:

> I am really interested in trying out Vim 7.  What is the best way to get
> the latest distribution and also update it when it changes?  BTW, I am
> running osx.

The info you need should be here: http://www.vim.org/develop.php

If you use Aap then updating regularly will be simple.

--
People who want to share their religious views with you
almost never want you to share yours with them.

Re: latest distribution

A.J.Mechelynck
Dear Jeremy,

Re: latest distribution

Georg Dahn
Dear Tony,

> (For 6.3, it is slightly more complicated since there are 3 archives
> plus a number of patches -- 85 at the moment -- but all in all it's
> quite manageable.)

Why is it complicated? It is just one cvs command.

Best regards,
Georg

Re: latest distribution

A.J.Mechelynck

Re: latest distribution

Jeremy-5
Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Jeremy wrote:
>

>>I am really interested in trying out Vim 7.  What is the best way to get
>>the latest distribution and also update it when it changes?  BTW, I am
>>running osx.
>

> The info you need should be here: http://www.vim.org/develop.php
>
> If you use Aap then updating regularly will be simple.

How often should I update Vim 7?  Will the process decribed on the link
above eliminate Vim 6.x?  I am worried that a build of Vim 7 won't work
and I wouldn't have Vim 6 to fall back on.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: latest distribution

Bram Moolenaar

Jeremy wrote:

> >>I am really interested in trying out Vim 7.  What is the best way to get
> >>the latest distribution and also update it when it changes?  BTW, I am
> >>running osx.
> >
> > The info you need should be here: http://www.vim.org/develop.php
> >
> > If you use Aap then updating regularly will be simple.
>
> How often should I update Vim 7?  Will the process decribed on the link
> above eliminate Vim 6.x?  I am worried that a build of Vim 7 won't work
> and I wouldn't have Vim 6 to fall back on.

The builds will occasionally fail.  Always be prepared to go back to a
previous snapshot (install a new one only after testing).

So long as you don't install Vim you will keep Vim 6.3.  If you do want
to install it, figure out where the executable is ("which vim") and
rename it, e.g., to vim63.  The runtime files are always put in a
separate directory for each version, no need to save these.

You can update every day, I often send out a new version every night.
But some periods may not see an update (either I'm busy with changing
something or I'm doing non-Vim stuff).

--
Looking at Perl through Lisp glasses, Perl looks atrocious.

Re: latest distribution

>>>I am really interested in trying out Vim 7.  What is the best way to get
>>>the latest distribution and also update it when it changes?  BTW, I am
>>>running osx.
>>

>> The info you need should be here: http://www.vim.org/develop.php
>>
>> If you use Aap then updating regularly will be simple.
>>
> How often should I update Vim 7?  Will the process decribed on the link
> above eliminate Vim 6.x?  I am worried that a build of Vim 7 won't work
> and I wouldn't have Vim 6 to fall back on.
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

It is possible to install 6.3 and 7.00aa side-by-side and have them both
working, and even run them in parallel at the same time.

Under Windows, $VIM/vim63 will hold the one, $VIM/vim70aa the other. Just
make sure that your "default" vim is in the PATH.

Under Unix, check where you install them: neither executable should be in
/bin/, /usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin/; place the executables in (for instance)
usr/share/vim/vim63/bin and usr/share/vim/vim70aa/bin and have /bin/vim be a
softlink to your default version of Vim. (I haven't checked the Unix
Makefile but a small change in the rule for its "install" target might be
required to achieve that.)

To invoke the "non-default" version, use an explicit path: for instance, my
default Vim is gvim.exe 7.0; when I want to run the 6.3 version I type
%VIM%\vim63\gvim.exe at the CMD.EXE command-line (and %VIM% gets resolved to
C:\PROGRA~1\vim). At the bash command-line it would be $VIM/vim63/bin/gvim
if $VIM is set to /usr/share/vim (which is the usual fallback default in
Unix Vim, but I find it practical to have $VIM defined even outside of Vim).
You could also create aliases if you often use both versions.