leaving message buffer open

Mark Volkmann-2
Is there a way to open the message buffer in a window so it is always visible? This could be useful while debugging a new plugin that uses echomsg to output debugging messages.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.

Re: leaving message buffer open

Christian Brabandt
Hi Mark!

On Fr, 08 Mai 2015, Mark Volkmann wrote:

> Is there a way to open the message buffer in a window so it is always visible?
> This could be useful while debugging a new plugin that uses echomsg to output
> debugging messages.

I am lazy, so whenever I need this, I leave that Vim open and open a
second instance ;)

Alternatively, you can of course capture the messages and open a new
window with it contained.

Something like this:
:com! Messages :redir =>a|sil mess|redir end|new |set  buftype=nofile|0put =a

Best,
Christian
--
Das höchste Recht ist zugleich das höchste Unrecht.
                -- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 v.Chr.)

Re: leaving message buffer open

John Little-4
On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 1:13:54 PM UTC+12, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> Is there a way to open the message buffer in a window so it is always visible?

Often, increasing the "command height" is enough.  Either, say,

:set cmdheight=10

or with gvim or vim with mouse handling, drag the status line up. Reissuing ":messages" works well with this.

Regards, John Little