line numbering gets out of sync: vim 6.1

line numbering gets out of sync: vim 6.1

Eben Oldmixon
I am using vim 6.1, MSW XP"Pro".

I tend to keep at least two panes/windows going in the editor at once.

I also use the 'ed'-style commands (e.g., :34,36m141 to move lines 34,35,36
to under line 141) almost exclusively.  In this example, I would have the
source lines visible in the upper pane and the destination visible in the
lower one.

I have noticed that "after a while" (sorry I cannot be more definite) the
numberings in the two panes disagree.

Thanks.

Re: line numbering gets out of sync: vim 6.1

A.J.Mechelynck
> I tend to keep at least two panes/windows going in the editor at once.
>
> I also use the 'ed'-style commands (e.g., :34,36m141 to move lines
> 34,35,36 to under line 141) almost exclusively.  In this example, I would
> have the source lines visible in the upper pane and the destination
> visible in the lower one.
>
> I have noticed that "after a while" (sorry I cannot be more definite) the
> numberings in the two panes disagree.
>
> Thanks.

6.1 is already rather old as Vim versions go; you might try installing 6.3
and see whether or not the problem is still there.

For Windows, you can get the latest bugfixed 6.3 (currently 6.3.080) from a
link on my "Vim page" at http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/#ajm
(Bugfixed executables only; install them over any other sub-version of 6.3
as explained on that page. If the text isn't clear enough, please tell me
and I'll try to make it better.)

You might also try reproducing the problem, and if and when you do, give a
reproducible example (preferably using no vimrc or only the
vimrc_example.vim). Mention what command-line you use to call Vim, what
commands you input once it has loaded, etc.; in short, anything that might
be relevant. Since in this case an editfile will be needed, keep it short
(or at least simple), mention its contents, and tell us at the end "what
happens" and "what you expected".