long line display in gvimdiff

Peng Yu
Hi,

It seems that longs line shown in gvimdiff would be broken. I have to
move the cursor to the end of the long to read it. I'm wondering how
to break lines like the norm gvim does.

Thanks,
Peng

Re: long line display in gvimdiff

Peng Yu
On 11/1/06, Peng Yu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that longs line shown in gvimdiff would be broken. I have to
> move the cursor to the end of the long to read it. I'm wondering how
> to break lines like the norm gvim does.
>
> Thanks,
> Peng

Hi

I actually mean how to wrap around long lines in gvimdiff.

Thanks,
Peng

Re: long line display in gvimdiff

Tim Chase-2
> I actually mean how to wrap around long lines in gvimdiff.

I would suggest

        :set wrap
or
        :set nowrap

as they seem to work fine for me in diffmode.  It should apply on
a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
window.

Re: long line display in gvimdiff

Dmitriy Yamkovoy
> It should apply on
> a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
> window.

Or if you're feeling lazy,

:windo set wrap
:windo set nowrap

These enable or disable wrapping for all windows in the current tab.

-Dmitriy

Re: long line display in gvimdiff

Tim Chase-2
>> It should apply on
>> a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
>> window.
>
> Or if you're feeling lazy,
>
> :windo set wrap
> :windo set nowrap

If you only have the two diff windows open, this is about as
efficient as "control+W control+W at colon" to change windows and
re-execute the last-issued commandline.  Also, less finger
dancing and a bit more readable.

However, if you have multiple windows open, and only a subset of
them are "diff" windows, the "windo" solution may effect windows
that you don't want it to.

But yes, this is helpful for easily changing a settings in all
the open windows.

Re: long line display in gvimdiff

Dmitriy Yamkovoy
I didn't know about @:, thanks!

-Dmitriy

On 11/1/06, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> It should apply on
> >> a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
> >> window.
> >
> > Or if you're feeling lazy,
> >
> > :windo set wrap
> > :windo set nowrap
>

> If you only have the two diff windows open, this is about as
> efficient as "control+W control+W at colon" to change windows and
> re-execute the last-issued commandline.  Also, less finger
> dancing and a bit more readable.
>
> However, if you have multiple windows open, and only a subset of
> them are "diff" windows, the "windo" solution may effect windows
> that you don't want it to.
>
> But yes, this is helpful for easily changing a settings in all
> the open windows.
>
> -tim

Re: long line display in gvimdiff

Tim Chase-2
> I didn't know about @:, thanks!

It's a very handy thing, though in earlier versions of vim if you
had a literal control+M in the last command-line (as entered with
a control+V followed by control+M), it would truncate the
command-line at that point rather than re-issue that last
command-line.  Other control-characters also caused similar problems.

There was also a second bug regarding commands that operate over
a range.  If you visually select a new range and use @: it would
make the resulting command

        :'<,'>'<,'>command

which would choke vim.

There are workarounds for these older versions (if you need 'em,
let me know and I'll elaborate).

However, since they have been fixed (I'm not sure whether it was
in a late v6.x or only v7), it's an even more regular staple of
my vim usage.  However, it's just something to watch for if you
use older versions of vim (such as what I have on some of my
hosting providers that I can't easily upgrade myself).

Re: long line display in gvimdiff

Benji Fisher
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 09:03:54AM -0500, Dmitriy Yamkovoy wrote:

> >It should apply on
> >a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
> >window.
> >

> Or if you're feeling lazy,
>
> :windo set wrap
> :windo set nowrap
>
> These enable or disable wrapping for all windows in the current tab.

     As long as we are considering easy/efficient/lazy ways to do it, I
prefer

:windo set wrap!

to toggle the setting of 'wrap'.  Then I can use @: to change it back.
Of course, the same thing works one window at a time without the :windo
modifier.

     As for the problem of affecting non-diff windows, I suggest the
following command:

" Diffdo <command> applies :command in all windows where 'diff' is set.
:command! -nargs=+ -complete=command Diffdo
        \ windo if &diff <Bar> execute <q-args> <Bar> endif

HTH --Benji Fisher