:ls with range

Sven Guckes-3
my list of buffers is ever so long..
but it is quite practical to have it
since i can switch to buffers quickly.
still.. the recent buffers are at the
end of the list, and when listing them
with ":ls" i have to page down a bit.
and when i do it too fast then i miss
the end quite easily - and start over.

and i keep thinking: wasnt there some
patch already to add a range to ":ls"?
then i could probably list the last page
directly with a range like this:

    :$-23,$ls

and i'd map it, too, of course. :)

have i missed that patch?

Sven

Re: :ls with range

Dominique Pellé
Sven Guckes wrote:

> my list of buffers is ever so long..
> but it is quite practical to have it
> since i can switch to buffers quickly.
> still.. the recent buffers are at the
> end of the list, and when listing them
> with ":ls" i have to page down a bit.
> and when i do it too fast then i miss
> the end quite easily - and start over.

You don't have to start over.  If you use
the f and b keys to page *f*orward or
*b*ackward, you won't need to start over.
Perhaps you instead page by pressing space
which indeed closes the list of buffers when
it goes beyond the end.  Unlike space, the
f key won't close the list at the end.

You can also press G to go to the end and g
to go back to the beginning.

If you have many buffers, you may consider
using this plugin: https://github.com/junegunn/fzf.vim
and its :Buffer command to quickly jump to a buffer.

> and i keep thinking: wasnt there some
> patch already to add a range to ":ls"?
> then i could probably list the last page
> directly with a range like this:
>
>     :$-23,$ls

I'm not aware of that.

> and i'd map it, too, of course. :)
>
> have i missed that patch?
>
> Sven

Re: :ls with range

Yegappan Lakshmanan

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:06 AM Sven Guckes <[hidden email]> wrote:
my list of buffers is ever so long..
but it is quite practical to have it
since i can switch to buffers quickly.
still.. the recent buffers are at the
end of the list, and when listing them
with ":ls" i have to page down a bit.
and when i do it too fast then i miss
the end quite easily - and start over.

After running the ":ls" command, you can use g< to
display the last page of the command output.

- Yegappan

and i keep thinking: wasnt there some
patch already to add a range to ":ls"?
then i could probably list the last page
directly with a range like this:

    :$-23,$ls

and i'd map it, too, of course. :)

have i missed that patch?

Sven

Re: :ls with range

Yegappan Lakshmanan

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:44 AM Yegappan Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:06 AM Sven Guckes <[hidden email]> wrote:
my list of buffers is ever so long..
but it is quite practical to have it
since i can switch to buffers quickly.
still.. the recent buffers are at the
end of the list, and when listing them
with ":ls" i have to page down a bit.
and when i do it too fast then i miss
the end quite easily - and start over.

After running the ":ls" command, you can use g< to
display the last page of the command output.

Another option is to use the "t" flag to sort the buffers
by the last used time.

    :ls t

- Yegappan

and i keep thinking: wasnt there some
patch already to add a range to ":ls"?
then i could probably list the last page
directly with a range like this:

    :$-23,$ls

and i'd map it, too, of course. :)

have i missed that patch?

Sven

Re: :ls -> b+f d+u g+G

Sven Guckes-3
i always just used space+quit.  o_O
now that i know there are more commands
i typed 'w' and get this prompt:

  "-- More -- SPACE/d/j: screen/page/line down, b/u/k: up, q: quit"

  summary: ":ls" paging commands:
  b+f back/forth one full page
  d+u down/up    one half page
  g+G goto/Goto  beginning/end

nice - very helpful! thanks, guys!

i obviously havent read the list of flags before.  ":ls t" is great!

is there aby way to make vim show the list with the
date+time *before* the kraut-lang long filename?

example:

  buf flags date       time     filename
   23 a+    2020-12-06 23:42:05 "/home/www/guckes/public_html/bash/bash.readline.txt"

oh.. and abbreviating prefixes like "/home/www/guckes/public_html" would be useful, too. :)
(hmm.. symlinks? hardlinks?)

Sven

Sven Guckes:
> my list of buffers is ever so long..  but it is quite practical
> to have it since i can switch to buffers quickly.  still.. the
> recent buffers are at the end of the list, and when listing them
> with ":ls" i have to page down a bit.  and when i do it too fast
> then i miss the end quite easily - and start over.

* Dominique Pellé <[hidden email]> [2020-12-09 16:42]:

> You don't have to start over.  If you use the f and b keys to
> page *f*orward or *b*ackward, you won't need to start over.
> Perhaps you instead page by pressing space which indeed
> closes the list of buffers when it goes beyond the end.
> Unlike space, the f key won't close the list at the end.
> You can also press G to go to the end
> and g to go back to the beginning.
>
> If you have many buffers, you may consider
> using this plugin: https://github.com/junegunn/fzf.vim
> and its :Buffer command to quickly jump to a buffer.

* Yegappan Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> [2020-12-09 17:00]: