<C-g>, <C-G>, <C-S-G>, <A-G>, key notation in Vim documentation

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

<C-g>, <C-G>, <C-S-G>, <A-G>, key notation in Vim documentation

Renato Fabbri
I did not find explicitly in the manual,
e.g. in :h key-notation, so...

does anyone know if there is any difference in:
<C-g>, <C-G>, <C-S-G>
for Vim?

Also, when can one use A-C-S combinations?

PS. <M-...> has the alias <A-...>, right?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: <C-g>, <C-G>, <C-S-G>, <A-G>, key notation in Vim documentation

Andy Wokula
Am 10.11.2017 um 13:55 schrieb Renato Fabbri:
> I did not find explicitly in the manual,
> e.g. in :h key-notation, so...
>
> does anyone know if there is any difference in:
> <C-g>, <C-G>, <C-S-G>
> for Vim?

It's all the same, and the preferred notation is `<C-G>'.

But at least for gVim, `<C-Tab>' is different from `<C-S-Tab>'.

> Also, when can one use A-C-S combinations?
>
> PS. <M-...> has the alias <A-...>, right?

`<M-' (Meta) is like `<A-' (Alt).
`<M-g>' is different from `<M-G>'.

Problem is, the Alt-combinations are normal characters and
often come in the way.  And the :map output prints these
characters instead of `<M-g>'.

And on Windows, Alt- also accesses the menu
(sometimes I use the menu).

On the plus side, the Alt combinations are otherwise completely free to use
(no conflicts with builtin keys).

Some experts may have more to say on the issue ...

--
Andy

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: <C-g>, <C-G>, <C-S-G>, <A-G>, key notation in Vim documentation

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
2017-11-10 19:31 GMT+03:00 'Andy Wokula' via vim_use <[hidden email]>:

> Am 10.11.2017 um 13:55 schrieb Renato Fabbri:
>>
>> I did not find explicitly in the manual,
>> e.g. in :h key-notation, so...
>>
>> does anyone know if there is any difference in:
>> <C-g>, <C-G>, <C-S-G>
>> for Vim?
>
>
> It's all the same, and the preferred notation is `<C-G>'.
>
> But at least for gVim, `<C-Tab>' is different from `<C-S-Tab>'.
>
>> Also, when can one use A-C-S combinations?
>>
>> PS. <M-...> has the alias <A-...>, right?
>
>
> `<M-' (Meta) is like `<A-' (Alt).
> `<M-g>' is different from `<M-G>'.
>
> Problem is, the Alt-combinations are normal characters and
> often come in the way.  And the :map output prints these
> characters instead of `<M-g>'.
>
> And on Windows, Alt- also accesses the menu
> (sometimes I use the menu).
>
> On the plus side, the Alt combinations are otherwise completely free to use
> (no conflicts with builtin keys).
>
> Some experts may have more to say on the issue ...

On my linux desktops all `<A-` keys are reserved for the window
manager: some are really used by it (i3), some are just “mentally
reserved”. In addition for some reason my Konsole serializes all alt
shortcuts as `<C-x>@s<Esc>{key}`, which effectively prevents anything
from recognizing them. I did not attempt to fix that because of `<A-`
shortcuts being reserved for window manager in any case.

>
> --
> Andy
>
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.