lua

Robert Solomon
Hi.  I'm interested in getting code folding to work.  I'm getting a
message on Ubuntu 16.04 amd64 that lua has to be compiled in for a macro
to work.

How do I get lua to be compiled into the make process?

--rob

Re: lua

Tony Mechelynck
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 12:26 AM, rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.  I'm interested in getting code folding to work.  I'm getting a message
> on Ubuntu 16.04 amd64 that lua has to be compiled in for a macro to work.
>
> How do I get lua to be compiled into the make process?
>
> --rob

You can get folding without lua in any Normal, Big or Huge Vim; but
that doesn't help with your macro.

For lua, you need, in addition to everything else needed to compile Vim:

1) lua installed on your system _with_ the corresponding "development"
packages (the latter are necessary to compile a program which uses
lua). I'm not sure how exactly to get these on Ubuntu (I'm on openSUSE
Linux) but you should be able to query your package manager about
packages whose names start with lua and make sure that at least the
lua library package and the lua development package are installed.

2) then you need to configure and compile Vim with lua. See the
following for details:
https://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
These two may seem a little complex but I tried to make them apply to
any use case. (I'm not sure I succeeded but at least I tried.)

The relevant configure parameter is --enable-luainterp (e.g. export
CONF_OPT_LUA='--enable-luainterp') and I recommend to run "make
reconfig" to reconfigure and recompile after any change in your
configure settings (which I define by means of environment variables
so Make will get them right even if, as it sometimes happens, it
decides to run configure again before an ordinary compile).

Before running "make install", run src/vim --version to see if the Vim
you just compiled has +lua (and everything else that you want it to
have). If it doesn't then it is time to ask yourself what went wrong.

Re: lua

rob-2
I'm going to have to grok this.

It will take a bit of time.

Thanks

--rob

On 08/21/2018 07:48 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 12:26 AM, rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi.  I'm interested in getting code folding to work.  I'm getting a message
>> on Ubuntu 16.04 amd64 that lua has to be compiled in for a macro to work.
>>
>> How do I get lua to be compiled into the make process?
>>
>> --rob
> You can get folding without lua in any Normal, Big or Huge Vim; but
> that doesn't help with your macro.
>
> For lua, you need, in addition to everything else needed to compile Vim:
>
> 1) lua installed on your system _with_ the corresponding "development"
> packages (the latter are necessary to compile a program which uses
> lua). I'm not sure how exactly to get these on Ubuntu (I'm on openSUSE
> Linux) but you should be able to query your package manager about
> packages whose names start with lua and make sure that at least the
> lua library package and the lua development package are installed.
>
> 2) then you need to configure and compile Vim with lua. See the
> following for details:
> https://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
> These two may seem a little complex but I tried to make them apply to
> any use case. (I'm not sure I succeeded but at least I tried.)
>
> The relevant configure parameter is --enable-luainterp (e.g. export
> CONF_OPT_LUA='--enable-luainterp') and I recommend to run "make
> reconfig" to reconfigure and recompile after any change in your
> configure settings (which I define by means of environment variables
> so Make will get them right even if, as it sometimes happens, it
> decides to run configure again before an ordinary compile).
>
> Before running "make install", run src/vim --version to see if the Vim
> you just compiled has +lua (and everything else that you want it to
> have). If it doesn't then it is time to ask yourself what went wrong.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Re: lua

David Woodfall
On Tuesday 21 August 2018 20:31,
rob <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

> I'm going to have to grok this.
>
> It will take a bit of time.
>
> Thanks
>
> --rob
> On 08/21/2018 07:48 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 12:26 AM, rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi.  I'm interested in getting code folding to work.  I'm getting a message
> > > on Ubuntu 16.04 amd64 that lua has to be compiled in for a macro to work.

There are a few :help entries on folding, which can be found by e.g. :help
fold<tab> but :help foldmethod (or fdm) is probably the most useful.

I usually set it to 'marker' and add folds manually by putting {{{
}}} around whatever I want folded:

// {{{
<lines of code here>
// }}}

Then you can use a bind such as 'za' to open/close the fold. Change
'//' to whatever comment character(s) your code uses.

You can also add text after the fold lines - e.g.

// {{{ Function description

There are a bunch of different maps that work on folds - see :help
fold-commands.

Another useful one is foldenable (fen). If you set it in your
~/.vimrc it makes all folds closed when you open a file with folds
for the first time.

-Dave

--

I forgot to mention an important fact in the 1.3.67 announcement. In order to
get a fully working kernel, you have to follow the steps below:

                                                            .--.  oo
                                                           (____)//
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Re: lua

Charles E Campbell Jr
rob wrote:
> I'm going to have to grok this.
>
> It will take a bit of time.
Hello:

Often one may use syntax-based folding, but it appears that
syntax/lua.vim doesn't support any folding (ie. :set fdm=syntax). You
might want to bring this up with lua's syntax maintainer (Marcus
Aurelius Farias -- you'll find his email address near the top of
syntax/lua.vim).

Regards,
Chip Campbell