Quantcast

macosx-10.6 + xterm: left/right arrows behave like shift left/right arrows

macosx-10.6 + xterm: left/right arrows behave like shift left/right arrows

raf-6
hi,

i've just got a new macbookpro with macosx-10.6.3 and have
noticed that when running vim in an xterm (even via ssh
onto a remote machine), the left and right arrow keys behave
like shift left and right arrow keys moving a word at a
time instead of a character at a time. i keep having
to get out of insert mode to use the h and l keys.

has anyone else seen this behaviour or know what might
be causing it? it's probably a terminfo thing but the
arrow keys work fine in the shell. i've only seen this
behaviour in vim (i.e. not in nano).

the versions of vim i'm using range from 7.0.122 to 7.2.436.

when i type <Ctrl-V><Left> and <Ctrl-V><Right> i get the
expected strings (i.e. "<Esc>OD" and "<Esc>OC", respectively)

cheers,
raf

Re: macosx-10.6 + xterm: left/right arrows behave like shift left/right arrows

raf-6
raf wrote:

> hi,
>
> i've just got a new macbookpro with macosx-10.6.3 and have
> noticed that when running vim in an xterm (even via ssh
> onto a remote machine), the left and right arrow keys behave
> like shift left and right arrow keys moving a word at a
> time instead of a character at a time. i keep having
> to get out of insert mode to use the h and l keys.
>
> has anyone else seen this behaviour or know what might
> be causing it? it's probably a terminfo thing but the
> arrow keys work fine in the shell. i've only seen this
> behaviour in vim (i.e. not in nano).
>
> the versions of vim i'm using range from 7.0.122 to 7.2.436.
>
> when i type <Ctrl-V><Left> and <Ctrl-V><Right> i get the
> expected strings (i.e. "<Esc>OD" and "<Esc>OC", respectively)
>
> cheers,
> raf

also, reverse video doesn't happen in xterm when selecting
text with v, V or Ctrl-V in an xterm running vim locally.
the reverse video does work when running vim remotely over
ssh in an xterm. has anyone else seen that behaviour?

with a local vim, i can select text with the mouse and have
the selected itext in reverse video but only when mouse= not
when mouse=a which is my normal setting.