macvim map! doesn't work. :(

hieonn
Hi, experts.

I've just installed (dragged the MacVim.app onto Applications folder) the MacVim. I can't use a certain key combination such as "map! () ()<Esc>i" which works for doing auto-closing, other key mappings work well except the mapping in ~/.gvimrc. whereas the combination works very well in windows gvim and Ubuntu vim.

I've tried changing map! () ()<Esc>i  into map! () ()<C-c>i  to check out whether <Esc> doesn't work in MacVim, it didn't work though.

For your information, I've checked
:map!    commands returns   map! () ()<Esc>i  exactly, but "verbose map"  returns nothing.

So, I've tried to find other way to use auto-closing functionality, I could find autoclose.vim in vim.org. I had put the plug-in into ~/.vim/plugin/. even plugin didn't work at all.

I can't find any other things I'm supposed to do any more. Please help me! experts!

hieonn.

Re: macvim map! doesn't work. :(

hieonn
Addition,

"verbose map" returns  ! () ()<Esc>i as well. still doesn't work.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: macvim map! doesn't work. :(

Björn Winckler
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM, wrote:

> I've just installed (dragged the MacVim.app onto Applications folder) the MacVim. I can't use a certain key combination such as "map! () ()<Esc>i" which works for doing auto-closing, other key mappings work well except the mapping in ~/.gvimrc. whereas the combination works very well in windows gvim and Ubuntu vim.

I just checked and the map you mention works fine for me on 7.3.967.

Try starting from Terminal with

/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -u NONE -U NONE -g

Then enter your map manually and see if that works.  If it does, then
you have a plugin or [g]vimrc setting that is interfering.

Other things I can think of is that you may be using a keyboard layout
that causes problems.  If you're not using an English layout, try US
English and see if that works.

Björn

Re: macvim map! doesn't work. :(

hieonn
Dear, Björn.

The problem had come from the setting duplications. I've figured out what had been invoking the problem actually by your big inspiration. The detail is there were two same settings in .vimrc and .gvimrc and those were interfering each other. Now everything works well after eliminating all duplicated settings in both files. The actual thing I've done is having removed .gvimrc from home directory.

Thank you for your big help and wish that this thread would help other people who may be suffered from similar phenomenon. Now I can use Vim on Mac freely.

Cheers vim!