mail from new wiki pages

Charles Campbell
Hello!

I'd like it if new entries on the plugin-associated wiki pages would be
automatically email'd to the plugin author.  The vim pages do have the
author's email addresses, so this shouldn't be too hard to do, I think.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

RE: mail from new wiki pages

JohnBeckett
Charles Campbell wrote:
> I'd like it if new entries on the plugin-associated wiki
> pages would be automatically email'd to the plugin author.
> The vim pages do have the author's email addresses, so this
> shouldn't be too hard to do, I think.

That's easy. You can "watch" any pages of interest, and you will
receive an email for each change. I have just added the details
of how this works (see "Watching changes") here:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:Community_Portal

You can reach the above by clicking "Community portal" in the
sidebar when viewing any page on the wiki.

You can actually watch pages before they are created, however,
that's a bit exotic, so I would recommend creating each relevant
Script:xxx page then watching it. If you reply with a list of
the script numbers (I don't need the URLs) I will do it (I would
create the pages, then you would to watch them).

Hmmm, I guess it's the scripts here:

Here is an example of a script:
where you can click "Vim wiki" to visit:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Script:858

Then click "Edit this page" to copy the wikitext for a template.
Close the browser window to cancel the "Edit this page".

At vim.org/scripts, click "Vim wiki" to visit an existing wiki
page, or to create a new one.

John

RE: mail from new wiki pages

JohnBeckett
John Beckett wrote:
> You can actually watch pages before they are created,
> however, that's a bit exotic, so I would recommend creating
> each relevant Script:xxx page then watching it.

On second thoughts, it should be pretty easy to watch the pages
that are NOT yet created, if you want that option.

In your watchlist, click the link: Edit raw watchlist

I believe you could just add lines like the following:
Script:123
Script:4321

and then you would be notified if those pages are ever created
or edited.

John

Re: mail from new wiki pages

Charles E Campbell Jr
John Beckett wrote:

> John Beckett wrote:
>
>> You can actually watch pages before they are created,
>> however, that's a bit exotic, so I would recommend creating
>> each relevant Script:xxx page then watching it.
>>

> On second thoughts, it should be pretty easy to watch the pages
> that are NOT yet created, if you want that option.
>
> In your watchlist, click the link: Edit raw watchlist
>
> I believe you could just add lines like the following:
> Script:123
> Script:4321
>
> and then you would be notified if those pages are ever created
> or edited.

Thank you, John!  I've done the watchlist thing -- as of now, no pages
have been created by anyone, so I did need this ability.  Pretty neat.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: mail from new wiki pages

Charles Campbell
John Beckett wrote:

> John Beckett wrote:
>
>> You can actually watch pages before they are created,
>> however, that's a bit exotic, so I would recommend creating
>> each relevant Script:xxx page then watching it.
>>

> On second thoughts, it should be pretty easy to watch the pages
> that are NOT yet created, if you want that option.
>
> In your watchlist, click the link: Edit raw watchlist
>
> I believe you could just add lines like the following:
> Script:123
> Script:4321
>
> and then you would be notified if those pages are ever created
> or edited.

Hello, John:

I generated two pages containing snapshots demonstrating a couple of my
plugins.  I even got notification that they were changed via the raw
watchlist method!  However, strangely enough, both emails have you, not
I, as the one who made the changes.  Just thought I'd let you know how
busy you were last night!  :)

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: mail from new wiki pages

Tom Link-3
> In your watchlist, click the link: Edit raw watchlist
>
> I believe you could just add lines like the following:
> Script:123
> Script:4321

Is this trick still possible? I remember having edited the raw
watchlist before but now I cannot find the right link. I cannot seem
to edit http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Following and on the
settings page I can only change certain parameters.

Regards,
Tom

RE: mail from new wiki pages

JohnBeckett
Tom Link wrote:

>> In your watchlist, click the link: Edit raw watchlist
>>
>> I believe you could just add lines like the following:
>> Script:123
>> Script:4321
>
> Is this trick still possible? I remember having edited the
> raw watchlist before but now I cannot find the right link. I
> cannot seem to edit
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Following and on the
> settings page I can only change certain parameters.

Yes it is possible. You have to access it via the watch list,
not the follow list (there is only one list, which can be
accessed via the two confusing names). At vim.wikia.com click
"Community portal" in the sidebar, then see the  "Following
(watching) changes" section for info (you want to click the
"My watchlist" link).

John