mail test ignore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

mail test ignore

scott-268

this is weird

i can send, but i can't receive

should i "unjoin" the groups in google?  once joined, am i
joined for life?

sc

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mail test ignore

Tony Mechelynck

scott wrote:
> this is weird
>
> i can send, but i can't receive
>
> should i "unjoin" the groups in google?  once joined, am i
> joined for life?
>
> sc

You can "unsubscribe" to one or more groups by going to
http://groups.google.com/groups/mysubs -- you will need to be logged in to
Google groups to access this page. Unsubscribing is done by changing "Email"
(or whatever) to "Unsubscribe" for a given group, then saving changes.
However, I don't recommend that course of action.

Myself, in the begionning, I didn't get any mail from the vim-experiment group
either. The following is how I cured it:

1. Get a gmail account (if you don't yet have one)
2. In the "My Subscriptions" page mentioned above, change everywhere the
"email address" to the address of that gmail account. Make sure that the
groups for which you want email are set to Email.
3. In the preferences for your gmail account,
http://mail.google.com/mail?view=pr&fs=1 , under "Forwarding and POP", enable
POP download.
4. Set up your email client (possibly creating a new mail account) as follows:
- How to set the from-line in outgoing mail: your gmail address (with @gmail.com)
- Incoming mail:
   - Server: pop.gmail.com
   - POP or IMAP: POP
   - SSL: yes
   - Port: 995
   - Username: your Gmail username _with_ @gmail.com at the end
   - Password: If your email client is like mine, it will ask for a password
the first time it fetches mail from gmail. Enter your password there.
   - Include this server when getting "all mail": yes
   - Fetch mail at startup: yes/no
   - Fetch mail every...:
       How you fill the latter two will depend on your type of connection
(e.g., broadband or dialup, pay-by-the month or pay-by-the-minute); you'll
have to use your own judgment.
- Outgoing mail: You may want to go on using the SMTP server with which you
"can send" to this list.

For details about step 4, see
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=%67mail&hl=en&answer=12103 
and select the mail client most similar to what you're using (e.g., for
Thunderbird 2, click "Thunderbird 1.5"; for SeaMonkey, click either "Netscape
Mail 7.x" or "Mozilla 1.7"; etc.).


Best regards,
Tony.
--
                My Favorite Drugs [Sung to My Favorite Things]
Reefers and roach clips and papers and rollers
Cocaine and procaine for twenty year molars
Reds and peyote to work out your bugs
These are a few of my favorite drugs.

Uppers and downers and methedrine freakout
Take some amphetamines, watch your brains leak out
Acid and mescaline pull out your plugs
These are a few of my favorite drugs.

Backs that are perfect for carrying monkeys
Users of heroin, often called junkies
Methadone helps then to stop being thugs
Takes them off one of my favorite drugs.

        On a bad trip
        When the cops come
        When I lose my head
        I simply take more of my favorite drugs
        And then I'm not sad -- I'm dead!

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mail test ignore

Elimar Riesebieter
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 the mental interface of
Tony Mechelynck told:

>
> scott wrote:
> > this is weird
> >
> > i can send, but i can't receive
> >
> > should i "unjoin" the groups in google?  once joined, am i
> > joined for life?
> >
> > sc
>
> You can "unsubscribe" to one or more groups by going to
> http://groups.google.com/groups/mysubs -- you will need to be logged in to
> Google groups to access this page. Unsubscribing is done by changing "Email"
> (or whatever) to "Unsubscribe" for a given group, then saving changes.
> However, I don't recommend that course of action.
>
> Myself, in the begionning, I didn't get any mail from the vim-experiment group
> either. The following is how I cured it:
>
> 1. Get a gmail account (if you don't yet have one)
As told in vim_dev: A gmail account is _not_ an assumption to
receive and send mails to google groups!

(Check my headers ;))

Elimar


--
  Experience is something you don't get until
  just after you need it!

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mail test ignore

Tony Mechelynck

Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 the mental interface of
> Tony Mechelynck told:
>
>> scott wrote:
>>> this is weird
>>>
>>> i can send, but i can't receive
>>>
>>> should i "unjoin" the groups in google?  once joined, am i
>>> joined for life?
>>>
>>> sc
>> You can "unsubscribe" to one or more groups by going to
>> http://groups.google.com/groups/mysubs -- you will need to be logged in to
>> Google groups to access this page. Unsubscribing is done by changing "Email"
>> (or whatever) to "Unsubscribe" for a given group, then saving changes.
>> However, I don't recommend that course of action.
>>
>> Myself, in the begionning, I didn't get any mail from the vim-experiment group
>> either. The following is how I cured it:
>>
>> 1. Get a gmail account (if you don't yet have one)
>
> As told in vim_dev: A gmail account is _not_ an assumption to
> receive and send mails to google groups!
>
> (Check my headers ;))
>
> Elimar
>
>

You are using lxtec.de and it works for you. Great. As long as I tried to get
vim-experiment mail at skynet.be, I got nothing. As soon as I tried gmail.com,
it worked. So: _some_ people can get the list mail elsewhere than at
gmail.com. Not _everyone_ can. For those who _can't_ (thus, not you), the
procedure mentioned in my earlier post will (hopefully) let them fetch the
list traffic as email.

Remember: Joe Public's ISP may or may not be blocking googlegroups.com as if
it were "spam"; it may even be blocking it at certain times and not at others
(depending on listing and de-listing by whichever public blacklists it's
using). I expect gmail.com doesn't block Google Groups, and never will.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Q:  How many right-to-lifers does it take to change a light bulb?
A:  Two.  One to screw it in and one to say that light started when the
     screwing began.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mail test ignore

Elimar Riesebieter
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 the mental interface of
Tony Mechelynck told:

[...]
> You are using lxtec.de and it works for you. Great. As long as I tried to get
> vim-experiment mail at skynet.be, I got nothing. As soon as I tried gmail.com,
> it worked. So: _some_ people can get the list mail elsewhere than at
> gmail.com. Not _everyone_ can. For those who _can't_ (thus, not you), the
> procedure mentioned in my earlier post will (hopefully) let them fetch the
> list traffic as email.

Hmm, just took a quik search on google groups:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=antoine.mechelynck%40skynet.be&qt_s=Groups-Suche


But anyway, I really don't want to flame ;)

Elimar

--
  We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        -- Linus Torvalds

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mail test ignore

Tony Mechelynck

Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 the mental interface of
> Tony Mechelynck told:
>
> [...]
>> You are using lxtec.de and it works for you. Great. As long as I tried to get
>> vim-experiment mail at skynet.be, I got nothing. As soon as I tried gmail.com,
>> it worked. So: _some_ people can get the list mail elsewhere than at
>> gmail.com. Not _everyone_ can. For those who _can't_ (thus, not you), the
>> procedure mentioned in my earlier post will (hopefully) let them fetch the
>> list traffic as email.
>
> Hmm, just took a quik search on google groups:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=antoine.mechelynck%40skynet.be&qt_s=Groups-Suche

Most of those are old posts, archived from Usenet groups which I both read and
wrote by NNTP (and to which I'm not even subscribed anymore). They don't prove
anything.

Anyway, after subscribing to vim-experiment I could _post_ with no problems.
The problem was _getting_ the list mail into my Inbox.

>
>
> But anyway, I really don't want to flame ;)

Neither do I. You get your Google Groups mail from your German ISP, I don't
get mine from my Belgian ISP. Mileages vary. Happily, Google Mail is for free,
supports POP, and doesn't block Google Groups (it had better not! ;-) ).

>
> Elimar
>

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Yes, but every time I try to see things your way, I get a headache.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mail test ignore

nabble-rob
In reply to this post by Tony Mechelynck

> Myself, in the begionning, I didn't get any mail from the vim-experiment group
> either. The following is how I cured it:
>
> 1. Get a gmail account (if you don't yet have one)

Hi Tony, finally succumbed to having to try this method as nothing
else seems
to work for my gsi address and I don't want to use my o2 address for
this list
in the long run.

So, I did the first step.

> 2. In the "My Subscriptions" page mentioned above, change everywhere the
> "email address" to the address of that gmail account. Make sure that the
> groups for which you want email are set to Email.

This is where the problem occurred. On the my Manage my memberships
page at:
http://groups.google.com/groups/mysubs
I have vim_use listed, but I only have only possibility in the
dropdown menu for the
e-mail address and that is my original subscribed o2.co.uk address.
Do I need to subscribe to vim_use with that address and make a new
account?
That wasn't what it sounded like from your post.

Didn't try the rest as need to sort this first.



--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mail test ignore

Tony Mechelynck

vim-rob wrote:

>> Myself, in the begionning, I didn't get any mail from the vim-experiment group
>> either. The following is how I cured it:
>>
>> 1. Get a gmail account (if you don't yet have one)
>
> Hi Tony, finally succumbed to having to try this method as nothing
> else seems
> to work for my gsi address and I don't want to use my o2 address for
> this list
> in the long run.
>
> So, I did the first step.
>
>> 2. In the "My Subscriptions" page mentioned above, change everywhere the
>> "email address" to the address of that gmail account. Make sure that the
>> groups for which you want email are set to Email.
>
> This is where the problem occurred. On the my Manage my memberships
> page at:
> http://groups.google.com/groups/mysubs
> I have vim_use listed, but I only have only possibility in the
> dropdown menu for the
> e-mail address and that is my original subscribed o2.co.uk address.
> Do I need to subscribe to vim_use with that address and make a new
> account?
> That wasn't what it sounded like from your post.
>
> Didn't try the rest as need to sort this first.

Google groups needs to associate that o2.co.uk with your Google Groups login
somehow. It is permitted to have both a gmail address and a non-gmail address
associated with the same account. That is what I did. If it doesn't work for
you, I guess you'll have to fiddle around until something does.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Whatever became of Strange de Jim?  Well, he found a substitute for
cocaine: "You cover Q-tips with sandpaper and ram them up your nostrils
as far as they will go.  Then you sniff talcum powder while shredding
hundred dollar bills."
                -- Herb Caen

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---