mercurial installation problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

mercurial installation problem

Charles Campbell
Hello!

I downloaded mercurial-1.5.tar and did "make all", "make i nstall", and
then ran "hg debuginstall"  --  and I see a message "ImportError: No
module named osutil" -- any hints about where to find/install that module?

Regards,
Chip Campbell

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mercurial installation problem

James Vega-3
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Charles Campbell
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I downloaded mercurial-1.5.tar and did "make all", "make i nstall", and then
> ran "hg debuginstall"  --  and I see a message "ImportError: No module named
> osutil" -- any hints about where to find/install that module?

It comes with Mercurial.  Depending on how you perform the install, it
is either built from a C file or a Python file is used.  I'm guessing
that the way your install ran, it is expecting to use the module built
from the C file but that didn't build for some reason.

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/UnixInstall may be helpful.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mercurial installation problem

Charles Campbell
James Vega wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Charles Campbell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>> Hello!
>>
>> I downloaded mercurial-1.5.tar and did "make all", "make i nstall", and then
>> ran "hg debuginstall"  --  and I see a message "ImportError: No module named
>> osutil" -- any hints about where to find/install that module?
>>    
>
> It comes with Mercurial.  Depending on how you perform the install, it
> is either built from a C file or a Python file is used.  I'm guessing
> that the way your install ran, it is expecting to use the module built
> from the C file but that didn't build for some reason.
>
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/UnixInstall may be helpful.
>
>  
I set up PYTHONPATH set so that I'm not getting "couldn't find mercurial
libraries" from

 (date && hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim) 2>&1 |tee hg-vim.log

but now I'm being bit by that osutil  problem:

 (date && hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim) 2>&1 |tee hg-vim.log
...
  File
"/home/cec/.SW/MERCURIAL/mercurial-1.5/mercurial/demandimport.py", line
47, in _load
    mod = _origimport(head, globals, locals)
ImportError: No module named osutil


Next, I tried, in the directory where I unpacked mercurial:

make clean
make all

and this time got
...
python rst2man.py --halt warning \
          --strip-elements-with-class htmlonly hg.1.txt hg.1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "rst2man.py", line 54, in ?
    import docutils
ImportError: No module named docutils

Does mercurial 1.5 require a more recent python than 2.4.3 I wonder?

Regards,
Chip Campbell

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mercurial installation problem

James Vega-3
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Charles Campbell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> James Vega wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Charles Campbell
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I downloaded mercurial-1.5.tar and did "make all", "make i nstall", and
>>> then
>>> ran "hg debuginstall"  --  and I see a message "ImportError: No module
>>> named
>>> osutil" -- any hints about where to find/install that module?
>>>
>>
>> It comes with Mercurial.  Depending on how you perform the install, it
>> is either built from a C file or a Python file is used.  I'm guessing
>> that the way your install ran, it is expecting to use the module built
>> from the C file but that didn't build for some reason.
>>
>> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/UnixInstall may be helpful.
>>
>>
>
> I set up PYTHONPATH set so that I'm not getting "couldn't find mercurial
> libraries" from
>
> (date && hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim) 2>&1 |tee hg-vim.log
>
> but now I'm being bit by that osutil  problem:
>
> (date && hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim) 2>&1 |tee hg-vim.log
> ...
>  File "/home/cec/.SW/MERCURIAL/mercurial-1.5/mercurial/demandimport.py",
> line 47, in _load
>   mod = _origimport(head, globals, locals)
> ImportError: No module named osutil
>
>
> Next, I tried, in the directory where I unpacked mercurial:
>
> make clean
> make all
>
> and this time got
> ...
> python rst2man.py --halt warning \
>         --strip-elements-with-class htmlonly hg.1.txt hg.1
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "rst2man.py", line 54, in ?
>   import docutils
> ImportError: No module named docutils
>
> Does mercurial 1.5 require a more recent python than 2.4.3 I wonder?

According to the UnixInstall page, it simply requires 2.4.  docutils
isn't a standard Python module.  You specifically need to install it[0]
or forego building the documentation.

[0]: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/
--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mercurial installation problem

Charles Campbell
James Vega wrote:
>
> According to the UnixInstall page, it simply requires 2.4.  docutils
> isn't a standard Python module.  You specifically need to install it[0]
> or forego building the documentation.
>
> [0]: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/
>  
Hello, James:

Thank you for your help.  I got, built, installed docutils, and then did
a make clean, make all, make install with mercurial.  No complaints this
time during the builds.  However, I'm back to the original problem:

(date && hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim) 2>&1 |tee hg-vim.log

ends up with
ImportError: No module named osutil

Regards,
Chip Campbell

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mercurial installation problem

Charles Campbell
Charles Campbell wrote:

> James Vega wrote:
>>
>> According to the UnixInstall page, it simply requires 2.4.  docutils
>> isn't a standard Python module.  You specifically need to install it[0]
>> or forego building the documentation.
>>
>> [0]: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/
>>  
> Hello, James:
>
> Thank you for your help.  I got, built, installed docutils, and then
> did a make clean, make all, make install with mercurial.  No
> complaints this time during the builds.  However, I'm back to the
> original problem:
>
> (date && hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim) 2>&1 |tee
> hg-vim.log
>
> ends up with
> ImportError: No module named osutil
>
I may have found (part of) the problem:

cd /usr/local/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/mercurial
(as root)
chmod 755 *.so

(osutil.so was rwx------ and owned by root)

Yep, the command ran cleanly this time.

Thank you for the help,
Chip Campbell

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mercurial installation problem

Tony Mechelynck
On 19/05/10 18:02, Charles Campbell wrote:

> Charles Campbell wrote:
>> James Vega wrote:
>>>
>>> According to the UnixInstall page, it simply requires 2.4. docutils
>>> isn't a standard Python module. You specifically need to install it[0]
>>> or forego building the documentation.
>>>
>>> [0]: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/
>> Hello, James:
>>
>> Thank you for your help. I got, built, installed docutils, and then
>> did a make clean, make all, make install with mercurial. No complaints
>> this time during the builds. However, I'm back to the original problem:
>>
>> (date && hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim) 2>&1 |tee
>> hg-vim.log
>>
>> ends up with
>> ImportError: No module named osutil
>>
> I may have found (part of) the problem:
>
> cd /usr/local/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/mercurial
> (as root)
> chmod 755 *.so
>
> (osutil.so was rwx------ and owned by root)
>
> Yep, the command ran cleanly this time.
>
> Thank you for the help,
> Chip Campbell
>

We-e-ell... I didn't know how lucky I was when I found out that my
openSUSE distro includes a Mercurial package (even 1.3.1 which isn't as
"new" as yours). I hope it will work now.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
of nothing.
                -- Redd Foxx

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php