mysterious grey bar with symbols in it

'Jürgen Krämer' via vim_use
Hi folks,

I am using vim as installed on opensuse, and have a question about it now
that I have googled for, and cannot find any definitive information about.Or
at least, any information that I can parse into something that "works for
me". The only information I've come up with, that appears to bear on
the behavior I see is stuff about folding, but I've tried turning it off (set
nofoldenable), and nothing changes. The version of vim that opensuse loads
is v7.3.831 according to the splash screen it throws up.

My question is that when I fire up vim on some file, it begins with thefile
itself just fine. But then, after a few seconds, I get a grey bar on the left
side of the screen, in which some various symbols and numbers appear. For
an example, take a look at the attached jpg. If I ever do a normal
highlight and click,to get text from one window to another, the characters
inside the grey barcome along too, and the grey bar turns into a two column
wide space in thetransfered text, which is rather annoying and is most of the
reason for myquestion here

What is this functionality, why would I want it, and how can I get rid of it
if in fact I don't want it after learning what it is?

Thanks for any help you can provide to me,
Andy

vim_email.jpg (121K) Download Attachment

Re: mysterious grey bar with symbols in it

Tony Mechelynck
On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 7:49 AM, 'Andy' via vim_use
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am using vim as installed on opensuse, and have a question about it now
> that I have googled for, and cannot find any definitive information about.Or
> at least, any information that I can parse into something that "works for
> me". The only information I've come up with, that appears to bear on
> the behavior I see is stuff about folding, but I've tried turning it off
> (set
> nofoldenable), and nothing changes. The version of vim that opensuse loads
> is v7.3.831 according to the splash screen it throws up.
>
> My question is that when I fire up vim on some file, it begins with thefile
> itself just fine. But then, after a few seconds, I get a grey bar on the
> left
> side of the screen, in which some various symbols and numbers appear. For
> an example, take a look at the attached jpg. If I ever do a normal
> highlight and click,to get text from one window to another, the characters
> inside the grey barcome along too, and the grey bar turns into a two column
> wide space in thetransfered text, which is rather annoying and is most of
> the
> reason for myquestion here
>
> What is this functionality, why would I want it, and how can I get rid of it
> if in fact I don't want it after learning what it is?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide to me,
> Andy

See :help sign.txt

Re: mysterious grey bar with symbols in it

'Jürgen Krämer' via vim_use

Thanks!

That was exactly it. I never would have connected that feature
with the symbols, otherwise.

To complete the answer for others reading: making the symbols
and bar go away mans doing this:

:sign unplace *

Thanks again,

Andy

From: Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>

See :help sign.txt

Re: mysterious grey bar with symbols in it

Christian Brabandt
Hi 'Andy'!

On So, 27 Dez 2015, 'Andy' via vim_use wrote:

> Thanks!
> That was exactly it. I never would have connected that featurewith the symbols, otherwise.
> To complete the answer for others reading: making the symbolsand bar go away mans doing this:
> :sign unplace *

You probably have a plugin installed, that you do not need. In that
case, simply uninstall it.

Best,
Christian
--
Puppe:
  in Sekt'n Kind

Re: mysterious grey bar with symbols in it

Charles Campbell
Christian Brabandt wrote:

> Hi 'Andy'!
>
> On So, 27 Dez 2015, 'Andy' via vim_use wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>> That was exactly it. I never would have connected that featurewith the symbols, otherwise.
>> To complete the answer for others reading: making the symbolsand bar go away mans doing this:
>> :sign unplace *
> You probably have a plugin installed, that you do not need. In that
> case, simply uninstall it.

Look for a plugin that has the word "Mark" in it:  under Linux, from the
.vim/ directory, use:  find -L "$(pwd)" -name "*Mark*" -exec "echo" "{}"
";" 2> /dev/null

Regards,
Chip Campbell