netrw :Explore setting current buffer to hidden

netrw :Explore setting current buffer to hidden

gt.macki
hello all,

On Vim 7.4.1401 (OS X 10.11.3), netrw’s :Explore is acting very weirdly for me.

My workflow is to usually open some file, use :Explore to search for related documents and switch between buffers as I need. Since at least 7.4.1401 calling :Explore hides the current buffer, even if it has been edited.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start with `vim file1.txt`;
2. inside vim use `:Explore`;
3. open `file2.txt` and find that `file1.txt` is not available anymore and is not displayed on`:ls` — the only way to access it is to use `:ls!`, check the buffer number and use `b{buffer_number}`.

Since I’m managing vim with homebrew, I reverted to the previous version, 7.4.1345, and it seems to fix the issue at hand. It does not seem to be related to plugins (have disabled most of them before posting this).

any clues on what might be happening? is this an actual issue or was I relying on faulty behaviour (seems unlikely since I've been netrw in this manner for at least 2 years now)?

thanks in advance for any input!

Re: netrw :Explore setting current buffer to hidden

Justin M. Keyes
netrw is 11,000 (eleven thousand) lines of code without any automated
tests. You might want to try  dirvish.vim[1] (400 lines of code, also
no tests), the first file manager that actually leverages Vim's
built-in features.

https://github.com/justinmk/vim-dirvish

Justin M. Keyes

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 8:45 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello all,
>
> On Vim 7.4.1401 (OS X 10.11.3), netrw’s :Explore is acting very weirdly for me.
>
> My workflow is to usually open some file, use :Explore to search for related documents and switch between buffers as I need. Since at least 7.4.1401 calling :Explore hides the current buffer, even if it has been edited.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Start with `vim file1.txt`;
> 2. inside vim use `:Explore`;
> 3. open `file2.txt` and find that `file1.txt` is not available anymore and is not displayed on`:ls` — the only way to access it is to use `:ls!`, check the buffer number and use `b{buffer_number}`.
>
> Since I’m managing vim with homebrew, I reverted to the previous version, 7.4.1345, and it seems to fix the issue at hand. It does not seem to be related to plugins (have disabled most of them before posting this).
>
> any clues on what might be happening? is this an actual issue or was I relying on faulty behaviour (seems unlikely since I've been netrw in this manner for at least 2 years now)?
>
> thanks in advance for any input!

> ---

Re: netrw :Explore setting current buffer to hidden

Charles E Campbell Jr
Justin M. Keyes wrote:
> netrw is 11,000 (eleven thousand) lines of code without any automated
> tests.
That, as it turns out, is not the case.  I do have automated tests for
it.  The tests are based on pchk
(http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#PCHK); however, ever
since patch#866, there's been a problem with hanging (probalby due to a
race condition in vim), so I haven't made the pchk-based test suite for
netrw available.

C Campbell

Re: netrw :Explore setting current buffer to hidden

Justin M. Keyes
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Charles E Campbell
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Justin M. Keyes wrote:
>> netrw is 11,000 (eleven thousand) lines of code without any automated
>> tests.
> That, as it turns out, is not the case.  I do have automated tests for
> it.  The tests are based on pchk
> (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#PCHK); however, ever
> since patch#866, there's been a problem with hanging (probalby due to a
> race condition in vim), so I haven't made the pchk-based test suite for
> netrw available.

I mean "automated" in the sense that any Vim regression would be
immediately caught. How much coverage would you estimate?

Justin M. Keyes

Re: netrw :Explore setting current buffer to hidden

Charles Campbell
Justin M. Keyes wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Charles E Campbell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Justin M. Keyes wrote:
>>> netrw is 11,000 (eleven thousand) lines of code without any automated
>>> tests.
>> That, as it turns out, is not the case.  I do have automated tests for
>> it.  The tests are based on pchk
>> (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#PCHK); however, ever
>> since patch#866, there's been a problem with hanging (probalby due to a
>> race condition in vim), so I haven't made the pchk-based test suite for
>> netrw available.
> I mean "automated" in the sense that any Vim regression would be
> immediately caught. How much coverage would you estimate?

I currently have 56 test files and am adding more as time goes on, with
over 930 lines in the test files.  "Any regression" is overly broad, as
I'm sure that there are cases that I haven't covered.  There are four
display types (thin, long, wide, tree).  Various patterns may be used to
include/exclude listings.  Trees have a lot of differences, as more than
one directory is being shown at a time (unlike thin, long, wide).  Users
may have differing settings with "interesting" interactions.  I'm going
over old bug reports and making pchk tests from them.

C Campbell

Re: netrw :Explore setting current buffer to hidden

gt.macki
thank you both for your replies.

@charles: seeing you’re the creator of the plugin, do you believe that the specific issue I’m having is due to one of the “interesting” combinations of settings/system/etc?  Have you seen it popping up before? I’m happy to post more specific info regarding my setup if you think this is a real problem you might eventually look into. In any case, thank you for the the time you dedicate to netrw.

[hidden email] wrote:

> hello all,
>
> On Vim 7.4.1401 (OS X 10.11.3), netrw’s :Explore is acting very weirdly for me.
>
> My workflow is to usually open some file, use :Explore to search for related documents and switch between buffers as I need. Since at least 7.4.1401 calling :Explore hides the current buffer, even if it has been edited.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Start with `vim file1.txt`;
> 2. inside vim use `:Explore`;
> 3. open `file2.txt` and find that `file1.txt` is not available anymore and is not displayed on`:ls` — the only way to access it is to use `:ls!`, check the buffer number and use `b{buffer_number}`.
>
> Since I’m managing vim with homebrew, I reverted to the previous version, 7.4.1345, and it seems to fix the issue at hand. It does not seem to be related to plugins (have disabled most of them before posting this).
>
> any clues on what might be happening? is this an actual issue or was I relying on faulty behaviour (seems unlikely since I've been netrw in this manner for at least 2 years now)?

Hello!

I see the problem; I'll look into it.

Chip Campbell

Re: netrw :Explore setting current buffer to hidden

Nicola
On 2016-02-29 22:55:13 +0000, Charles Campbell said:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> hello all,
>>
>> On Vim 7.4.1401 (OS X 10.11.3), netrw’s :Explore is acting very weirdly for me.
>>
>> My workflow is to usually open some file, use :Explore to search for
>> related documents and switch between buffers as I need. Since at least
>> 7.4.1401 calling :Explore hides the current buffer, even if it has been
>> edited.>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>> 1. Start with `vim file1.txt`;
>> 2. inside vim use `:Explore`;
>> 3. open `file2.txt` and find that `file1.txt` is not available anymore
>> and is not displayed on`:ls` — the only way to access it is to use
>> `:ls!`, check the buffer number and use `b{buffer_number}`.
>>
>> Since I’m managing vim with homebrew, I reverted to the previous
>> version, 7.4.1345, and it seems to fix the issue at hand. It does not
>> seem to be related to plugins (have disabled most of them before
>> posting this).
>>
>> any clues on what might be happening? is this an actual issue or was I
>> relying on faulty behaviour (seems unlikely since I've been netrw in
>> this manner for at least 2 years now)?
>>
> Hello!
>
> I see the problem; I'll look into it.
>
> Chip Campbell

It seems to me that this bug has been fixed a few weeks ago.
Would it be possible to merge the latest netrw into Vim?

Nicola

Nicola wrote:

> On 2016-02-29 22:55:13 +0000, Charles Campbell said:
>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> hello all,
>>>
>>> On Vim 7.4.1401 (OS X 10.11.3), netrw’s :Explore is acting very
>>> weirdly for me.
>>>
>>> My workflow is to usually open some file, use :Explore to search for
>>> related documents and switch between buffers as I need. Since at
>>> least 7.4.1401 calling :Explore hides the current buffer, even if it
>>> has been edited.>
>>> Steps to reproduce:
>>> 1. Start with `vim file1.txt`;
>>> 2. inside vim use `:Explore`;
>>> 3. open `file2.txt` and find that `file1.txt` is not available
>>> anymore and is not displayed on`:ls` — the only way to access it is
>>> to use `:ls!`, check the buffer number and use `b{buffer_number}`.
>>>
>>> Since I’m managing vim with homebrew, I reverted to the previous
>>> version, 7.4.1345, and it seems to fix the issue at hand. It does
>>> not seem to be related to plugins (have disabled most of them before
>>> posting this).
>>>
>>> any clues on what might be happening? is this an actual issue or was
>>> I relying on faulty behaviour (seems unlikely since I've been netrw
>>> in this manner for at least 2 years now)?
>>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I see the problem; I'll look into it.
>>
>> Chip Campbell
>
> It seems to me that this bug has been fixed a few weeks ago.
> Would it be possible to merge the latest netrw into Vim?
I've got some more to do with netrw before submitting it for inclusion.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to it for probably a month.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

On 2016-04-18 14:00:43 +0000, Charles E Campbell said:

> Nicola wrote:

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I see the problem; I'll look into it.
>>>
>>> Chip Campbell
>>
>> It seems to me that this bug has been fixed a few weeks ago.
>> Would it be possible to merge the latest netrw into Vim?
> I've got some more to do with netrw before submitting it for
> inclusion.Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to it for probably a
> month.

Ok, it's good at least to know an ETA.

Nicola