new err msg in vim 8 re: setting history size

new err msg in vim 8 re: setting history size

L. A. Walsh
Trying vim  8 on windows and get an error when it starts up
saying it didn't like my

 "set history=250000"

statement in my .vimrc

Seems like correct syntax, now, is(?):

  "history 250000"

But when I ran that, I got a different error:

'history' option is zero.

Am running gvim, but can't cut/paste its version
info, but vim says:

VIM - Vi IMproved 8.0 (2016 Sep 12, compiled Sep 20 2016 22:03:23)
MS-Windows 64-bit console version
Included patches: 1-6
Compiled by appveyor@APPVYR-WIN
Huge version without GUI.

----
How do I specify the history size in vim-8?

Thanks!
Linda

Re: new err msg in vim 8 re: setting history size

Gary Johnson-4
On 2017-01-10, L A Walsh wrote:
> Trying vim  8 on windows and get an error when it starts up
> saying it didn't like my
>
> "set history=250000"
>
> statement in my .vimrc

    :help 'history'

says, "The maximum value is 10000."

> Seems like correct syntax, now, is(?):
>
>  "history 250000"

The :history command displays the history.  See

    :help :history

Regards,
Gary

Gary Johnson wrote:
>     :help 'history'

---
    That's what I used to get the alternate syntax.

> says, "The maximum value is 10000."

---
I guess it was significantly decreased in 8.x (not that I need
it so high, just wanted to unlimit it and possible take care
of it differently as I do my bash-history).

But my :help history
(no quotes) doesn't give a max, it says:

                        *cmdline-history* *history*
The command-lines that you enter are remembered in a history table.  You can
recall them with the up and down cursor keys.  There are actually five
history tables:
- one for ':' commands
- one for search strings
- one for expressions
- one for input lines, typed for the |input()| function.
- one for debug mode commands
These are completely separate.  Each history can only be accessed when
entering the same type of line.
Use the '*history*' option to set the number of lines that are remembered
(default: 20).
---

I also tried w/quotes, and there I find:
                        *'history'* *'hi'*
'history' 'hi'        number    (Vim default: 20, Vi default: 0)
            global
            {not in Vi}
    A history of ":" commands, and a history of previous search patterns
    are remembered.  This option decides how many entries may be stored in
    each of these histories (see |cmdline-editing|).
    NOTE: This option is set to the Vi default value when 'compatible' is
    set and to the Vim default value when 'compatible' is reset.
---
still no mention of a max.

I did look for the max but didn't find it. Clicked on the 'history' link
(above where it says "default:20"), and that showed me
it was a :history xxx syntax now, but when I tried that got
that it was set to 0.

The original error for my history command was:
E474: Invalid argument: history=25000

Rather than a generic "invalid argument" it might be more useful
to say that the max lines=<somevalue>..?

BTW -- I set it to '10000', and no more error message.

Thanks!
-l

Re: new err msg in vim 8 re: setting history size

h_east
Hi Walsh,

2017-1-11(Wed) 8:28:43 UTC+9 L A Walsh:

> Gary Johnson wrote:
> >     :help 'history'
> >
> ---
>     That's what I used to get the alternate syntax.
>
> > says, "The maximum value is 10000."
> >
> ---
> I guess it was significantly decreased in 8.x (not that I need
> it so high, just wanted to unlimit it and possible take care
> of it differently as I do my bash-history).
>
> But my :help history
> (no quotes) doesn't give a max, it says:
>
>                         *cmdline-history* *history*
> The command-lines that you enter are remembered in a history table.  You can
> recall them with the up and down cursor keys.  There are actually five
> history tables:
> - one for ':' commands
> - one for search strings
> - one for expressions
> - one for input lines, typed for the |input()| function.
> - one for debug mode commands
> These are completely separate.  Each history can only be accessed when
> entering the same type of line.
> Use the '*history*' option to set the number of lines that are remembered
> (default: 20).
> ---
>
> I also tried w/quotes, and there I find:
>                         *'history'* *'hi'*
> 'history' 'hi'        number    (Vim default: 20, Vi default: 0)
>             global
>             {not in Vi}
>     A history of ":" commands, and a history of previous search patterns
>     are remembered.  This option decides how many entries may be stored in
>     each of these histories (see |cmdline-editing|).
>     NOTE: This option is set to the Vi default value when 'compatible' is
>     set and to the Vim default value when 'compatible' is reset.
> ---
> still no mention of a max.
It seems that you are referring to an old document. (At least before 7.4.335)
The change of the maximum value of 'history' was done in 7.4.336 (Jun 25 2014 !!).

Perhaps the runtime files of your Vim environment are not updated.

Tentatively, The latest document is here.
https://github.com/vim/vim/blob/master/runtime/doc/options.txt#L4065-L4074

Hirohito Higashi (a.k.a. h_east)

> I did look for the max but didn't find it. Clicked on the 'history' link
> (above where it says "default:20"), and that showed me
> it was a :history xxx syntax now, but when I tried that got
> that it was set to 0.
>
> The original error for my history command was:
> E474: Invalid argument: history=25000
>
> Rather than a generic "invalid argument" it might be more useful
> to say that the max lines=<somevalue>..?
>
> BTW -- I set it to '10000', and no more error message.
>
> Thanks!
> -l

Re: new err msg in vim 8 re: setting history size

Bryan Richter
On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 06:31:44PM -0800, h_east wrote:

> Hi Walsh,
>
> 2017-1-11(Wed) 8:28:43 UTC+9 L A Walsh:
> > Gary Johnson wrote:
> > >     :help 'history'
> > >
> > ---
> >     That's what I used to get the alternate syntax.
> >
> > > says, "The maximum value is 10000."
> > >
> > ---
> > I guess it was significantly decreased in 8.x (not that I need
> > it so high, just wanted to unlimit it and possible take care
> > of it differently as I do my bash-history).
> >

> It seems that you are referring to an old document. (At least before
> 7.4.335) The change of the maximum value of 'history' was done in
> 7.4.336 (Jun 25 2014 !!).
I had to make the same modification when I started using vim 8.

The change may be old, but I was using the vim from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS'
repository, which is still 7.4.052. So it "feels" like a change that
happened for 8.0 :)

Bryan Richter wrote:
> I had to make the same modification when I started using vim 8.
> The change may be old, but I was using the vim from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS'
> repository, which is still 7.4.052. So it "feels" like a change that
> happened for 8.0 :)

===
Yup...opensuse here..similar thing.

Re: new err msg in vim 8 re: setting history size

h_east
Hi All,

2017-1-11(Wed) 13:50:09 UTC+9 L A Walsh:
> Bryan Richter wrote:
> > I had to make the same modification when I started using vim 8.
> > The change may be old, but I was using the vim from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS'
> > repository, which is still 7.4.052. So it "feels" like a change that
> > happened for 8.0 :)
> >
> ===
> Yup...opensuse here..similar thing.

The reasons for setting the upper limit are as follows:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/cxvBwnSaWrY/discussion

I hope it will be helpful.
Hirohito Higashi (a.k.a. h_east)

h_east wrote:
> The reasons for setting the upper limit are as follows:
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/cxvBwnSaWrY/discussion
>
> I hope it will be helpful.

----
    More safety-belts for the children...*sigh*