new tool lib conflict with gvim lib

Sand Glass
I install a new tool, and I export the LD lib.
########
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.3/lib/lnx64.o:"$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
########

But my gvim cannot launch.
########
/usr/bin/gvim: /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.3/lib/lnx64.o/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.55)
########

My gvim linked lib is replaced by Xilinx lib.
So Xilinx tool can not run with gvim at the same time. Now I split the .bashrc file as two. one basic env include gvim(.bashrc_basic), another only include xilinx env(.bashrc_xil). When I run xilinx tool, I open a new cmd window, and source .bashrc_xil, this window only run xilinx tool. The action can solve my problem.

Is there another way makes me run xilinx tool and gvim the same time in same cmd window?

Re: new tool lib conflict with gvim lib

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> I install a new tool, and I export the LD lib.
> ########
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.3/lib/lnx64.o:"$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> ########
>
> But my gvim cannot launch.
> ########
> /usr/bin/gvim: /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.3/lib/lnx64.o/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.55)
> ########
>
> My gvim linked lib is replaced by Xilinx lib.
> So Xilinx tool can not run with gvim at the same time. Now I split the .bashrc file as two. one basic env include gvim(.bashrc_basic), another only include xilinx env(.bashrc_xil). When I run xilinx tool, I open a new cmd window, and source .bashrc_xil, this window only run xilinx tool. The action can solve my problem.
>
> Is there another way makes me run xilinx tool and gvim the same time in same cmd window?

Create a wrapper function/alias/script around your tool which will run

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2014.3/lib your-xilinx-tool

, e.g. like adding

    alias your-xilinx-tool="LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2014.3/lib
your-xilinx-tool"

to the bashrc.

Given the nature of the message you are seeing it is extremely bad
idea to run *anything*, but xilinx tool with that LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
given that they override at least some system shared libraries any
application using overridden libraries may malfunction, not only gvim,
and possibly not only by refusing to work at all.

And I would suggest to contact whoever packaged xilinx tools, I have
seen software like this (coming with their own libs) placed in /opt
and corresponding packages *already come with a wrapper script* which
do exactly that (plus sometimes with more modifications to environment
and/or argument list) without requiring user to modify environment on
their own. But first search your xilinx package for preexisting
wrappers, maybe you are using what you are not supposed to use
directly.

> ---

Re: new tool lib conflict with gvim lib

Sand Glass
Can I tempory add the xilinx LD_LIBRARY_PATH when launch xilinx tool, after I launched the tool, I release the xilinx LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?

Re: new tool lib conflict with gvim lib

Christian Brabandt

On Di, 19 Sep 2017, Sand Glass wrote:

> Can I tempory add the xilinx LD_LIBRARY_PATH when launch xilinx tool, after I launched the tool, I release the xilinx LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?

Yes, that's what Nicolai told you. Either call your tool like this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/foobar my_tool

or create a wrapper script or alias, that does something similar

However, I believe this does not work if your tool is itself a wrapper
script around some other binaries.

Best,
Christian
--
Ist mein Fleisch willig, kann Dein Geist noch so schwach sein.

Re: new tool lib conflict with gvim lib

Sand Glass
Thanks a lot.
I launch the tool use this command '/opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.3/bin/vivado'. It is actually a script. And after launch the tool, in tool tcl command window, It has loaded all relative lib. So I do not need a extra wrapper alias.