otl2html and ikiwiki

Joey Hess
I discovered vimoutliner the other day, and I want to thank everyone who
made it possible, it's much nicer than hnb, which I was using before,
and for the first time I actually feel that using an outliner makes me
more productive.

I wanted to let you know that the next version of ikiwiki[1] will include
support for otl files as wiki pages. Since ikiwiki allows editing of
wiki pages in vim, and committing them with subversion, this is a nice
combination, in my opinion.

Which brings me to otl2html. With a basic stylesheet and a little bit of
extra processing for check boxes, I'm producing outlines like this one in
my wiki: http://kitenet.net/~joey/boxen/kite/move.html
Pretty happy with how that looks, but the underlying html is bad:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://kitenet.net/~joey/boxen/kite/move.html

otl2html doesn't produce valid xhtml, since it doesn't close <li> tags.
It also has a few other problems, like not wrapping everything inside
<ol> tags in <li>. I wonder if that could be fixed so it generates valid xhtml?
I don't speak python well, or I'd try to fix it. (If I have to tackle
this myself, I'll probably end up writing a perl library, since that
would be a better fit for me.)

One other nice improvement in otl2html would be to find bare urls and mark
them up as hyperlinks.

--
see shy jo

[1] http://ikiwiki.kitenet.net/

Re: otl2html and ikiwiki

Noel Henson
On Saturday 19 August 2006 11:42, Joey Hess wrote:
> I discovered vimoutliner the other day, and I want to thank everyone who
> made it possible, it's much nicer than hnb, which I was using before,
> and for the first time I actually feel that using an outliner makes me
> more productive.

On behalf of all of us... Thanks!

> I wanted to let you know that the next version of ikiwiki[1] will
> include support for otl files as wiki pages. Since ikiwiki allows
> editing of wiki pages in vim, and committing them with subversion, this
> is a nice combination, in my opinion.

Cool. Let us know when it's ready.

> Which brings me to otl2html. With a basic stylesheet and a little bit of
> extra processing for check boxes, I'm producing outlines like this one
> in my wiki: http://kitenet.net/~joey/boxen/kite/move.html
> Pretty happy with how that looks, but the underlying html is bad:
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://kitenet.net/~joey/boxen/kite/mo
>ve.html
>
> otl2html doesn't produce valid xhtml, since it doesn't close <li> tags.
> It also has a few other problems, like not wrapping everything inside
> <ol> tags in <li>. I wonder if that could be fixed so it generates valid
> xhtml? I don't speak python well, or I'd try to fix it. (If I have to
> tackle this myself, I'll probably end up writing a perl library, since
> that would be a better fit for me.)

I think I can fix that.

> One other nice improvement in otl2html would be to find bare urls and
> mark them up as hyperlinks.

This shouldn't be a hard addition.

Thanks again for the positive feedback.

Noel

Re: otl2html and ikiwiki

Sean E. Russell
On Saturday 19 August 2006 14:42, Joey Hess wrote:
> otl2html doesn't produce valid xhtml, since it doesn't close <li> tags.
> It also has a few other problems, like not wrapping everything inside
> <ol> tags in <li>. I wonder if that could be fixed so it generates valid
> xhtml? I don't speak python well, or I'd try to fix it. (If I have to
> tackle this myself, I'll probably end up writing a perl library, since that
> would be a better fit for me.)

There's another bug in otl2html where it doesn't close tables if they're the
last item in the list.  Eg:

Foo
Bar
|| A | B | C |
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | 5 | 6 |

produces:

### SER
### Deutsch|Esperanto|Francaise|Linux|XML|Java|Ruby|Aikido|Iaido
### http://www.ser1.net  jabber.com:ser  ICQ:83578737
### GPG: http://www.ser1.net/Security/ser_public.gpg

Re: otl2html and ikiwiki

Steve Litt
On Saturday 19 August 2006 02:42 pm, Joey Hess wrote:
> I discovered vimoutliner the other day, and I want to thank everyone who
> made it possible, it's much nicer than hnb, which I was using before,
> and for the first time I actually feel that using an outliner makes me
> more productive.
>
> I wanted to let you know that the next version of ikiwiki[1] will include
> support for otl files as wiki pages. Since ikiwiki allows editing of
> wiki pages in vim, and committing them with subversion, this is a nice
> combination, in my opinion.

       *     *
        \ o /
         \|/