otl2html script

Chris Judson-2
I didn't see a post about this in the archives, so I thought I might ask:

I found vimoutliner about a month ago and find it very easy to use (thanks!). As I think about ways to share my outlines, I can't seem to get the otl2html.py script to work.

The main error that I'm getting is that there is an indentation error within the script.
I'm using VIM 7.0 via Terminal.app on MacOS 10.4.7...using the most recent release of Python.

Thanks in advance.
Peace,
Chris

Re: otl2html script

Noel Henson
Chris,

I don't have time to look into this tonight but will tomorrow morning. Can
you send a copy of the error in the mean time?

Thanks,
Noel

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 19:33, Chris Judson wrote:

> I didn't see a post about this in the archives, so I thought I might
> ask:
>
> I found vimoutliner about a month ago and find it very easy to use
> (thanks!). As I think about ways to share my outlines, I can't seem to
> get the otl2html.py script to work.
>
> The main error that I'm getting is that there is an indentation error
> within the script.
> I'm using VIM 7.0 via Terminal.app on MacOS 10.4.7...using the most
> recent release of Python.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Peace,
> Chris

Re: otl2html script

Chris Judson-2
Noel,
Thanks for the look...I was able to get the script to work by envoking it via the shell, but I am unable to use the VO | Tools | otl2html option...this is what I get (I'm attaching the output).
Thanks again,
Chris

On 8/1/06, Noel Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chris,

I don't have time to look into this tonight but will tomorrow morning. Can
you send a copy of the error in the mean time?

Thanks,
Noel

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 19:33, Chris Judson wrote:

> I didn't see a post about this in the archives, so I thought I might
> ask:
>
> I found vimoutliner about a month ago and find it very easy to use
> (thanks!). As I think about ways to share my outlines, I can't seem to
> get the otl2html.py script to work.
>
> The main error that I'm getting is that there is an indentation error
> within the script.
> I'm using VIM 7.0 via Terminal.app on MacOS 10.4.7...using the most
> recent release of Python.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Peace,
> Chris

Picture 1.png (8K) Download Attachment

Re: otl2html script

Chris Judson-2
Noel,
Call me a dweeb, but I got it to work...I just referenced the script using the alias command in my .profile file. I'm not sure if that's how it supposed to work (and probably not) but it working now. If you have a heads up on why it wasn't working, I'd like to know.
Thanks again,
Chris

On 8/2/06, Chris Judson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Noel,
Thanks for the look...I was able to get the script to work by envoking it via the shell, but I am unable to use the VO | Tools | otl2html option...this is what I get (I'm attaching the output).
Thanks again,
Chris

On 8/1/06, Noel Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chris,

I don't have time to look into this tonight but will tomorrow morning. Can
you send a copy of the error in the mean time?

Thanks,
Noel

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 19:33, Chris Judson wrote:

> I didn't see a post about this in the archives, so I thought I might
> ask:
>
> I found vimoutliner about a month ago and find it very easy to use
> (thanks!). As I think about ways to share my outlines, I can't seem to
> get the otl2html.py script to work.
>
> The main error that I'm getting is that there is an indentation error
> within the script.
> I'm using VIM 7.0 via Terminal.app on MacOS 10.4.7...using the most
> recent release of Python.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Peace,
> Chris

Re: otl2html script

Stefan Schmiedl
Chris Judson (02.08. 00:38):

> Noel,
> Call me a dweeb, but I got it to work...I just referenced the script using
> the alias command in my .profile file. I'm not sure if that's how it
> supposed to work (and probably not) but it working now. If you have a heads
> up on why it wasn't working, I'd like to know.

A wild guess: You're on a Mac, maybe you invoked vim via the GUI instead
of a console window. If so, the current (working) directory of vim might
not be what you expect it to be. If, as an additional assumption, the
path to the file mentioned in your error message is a relative path,
your vim might end up trying to write to a non-writable folder or read
from a non-existent file.

Does :pwd show the folder you expect your vim to "be" in?

s.
--
Stefan Schmiedl

Re: otl2html script

Chris Judson-2
Stefan,
Yes...on the Mac (as some seem to be jumping to Linux these days). Anyway, you are correct and I thank you for your explanation. I'm finishing a proposal now via vimoutliner and I am happy that I'll be able to post a pretty copy on my site.
Thanks for a wonderful extension of vim.
Peace,
Chris

P.S. And I know this is a bit off topic (perhaps I should change the subject): In my search for an outliner for VIM, I noticed two: vimoutliner and TVO. Different camps trying to do accomplish the same thing: create a good outliner for vim? I found TVO a bit harder to evoke and besides, I used vimoutliner first and got used to it quickly.
Just wondering.

On 8/2/06, Stefan Schmiedl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chris Judson (02.08. 00:38):

> Noel,
> Call me a dweeb, but I got it to work...I just referenced the script using
> the alias command in my .profile file. I'm not sure if that's how it
> supposed to work (and probably not) but it working now. If you have a heads
> up on why it wasn't working, I'd like to know.

A wild guess: You're on a Mac, maybe you invoked vim via the GUI instead
of a console window. If so, the current (working) directory of vim might
not be what you expect it to be. If, as an additional assumption, the
path to the file mentioned in your error message is a relative path,
your vim might end up trying to write to a non-writable folder or read
from a non-existent file.

Does :pwd show the folder you expect your vim to "be" in?

s.
--
Stefan Schmiedl

Re: otl2html script

Stefan Schmiedl
Chris Judson (02.08. 20:04):

> Stefan,
> Yes...on the Mac (as some seem to be jumping to Linux these days). Anyway,
> you are correct and I thank you for your explanation.

I am amazed at the length of time some knowledge in computing stays
valid. My explanation was based on my own previous Mac experience
dating back to around '90 when 6.0.5 was the latest and greatest and
stablest OS ...

s.

--
Stefan Schmiedl

Re: otl2html script

Steve Litt
On Thursday 03 August 2006 01:07 pm, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> Chris Judson (02.08. 20:04):
> > Stefan,
> > Yes...on the Mac (as some seem to be jumping to Linux these days).
> > Anyway, you are correct and I thank you for your explanation.
>
> I am amazed at the length of time some knowledge in computing stays
> valid. My explanation was based on my own previous Mac experience
> dating back to around '90 when 6.0.5 was the latest and greatest and
> stablest OS ...
>
> s.

VO itself was originally conceived as a knockoff of circa 1994 Grandview. Good
ideas stand the test of time.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm