otl2html script use

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

otl2html script use

Chris Judson
I'm not sure if anybody is out there, but I found vimoutliner about a
month ago and find it very easy to use (thanks!). As I think about ways
to share my outlines, I can't seem to get the otl2html.py script to work.
The main error that I'm getting is that there is an indentation error
within the script.
I'm using VIM 7.0 via Terminal.app on MacOS 10.4.7...using the most
recent release of Python.
Thanks in advance.
Peace,
Chris

_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: otl2html script use

Sean E. Russell
On Tuesday 01 August 2006 21:27, Chris Judson wrote:
> I'm not sure if anybody is out there, but I found vimoutliner about a

We're out here.  We're simply all lurkers.

> ways to share my outlines, I can't seem to get the otl2html.py script
> to work. The main error that I'm getting is that there is an
> indentation error within the script.

Out of curiosity, do you have expandtabs set?  I don't know if this
would cause a problem, but I use noet for otl files, and I don't have a
problem with otl2html.


Incidentally, to encourage the posting of possibly useful scriptlets,
I've been using outliner to do rudimentary project management.  The
syntax is restrictive -- I haven't spent any time generalizing it, and
have a specific use case -- but it works pretty well for me.  The
outlines look like this:

        Project name
        Person start_date_YYYY-MM-DD percent_committed
        Person start_date...
        [_] % Task blah blah (#days)
                [_] % Subtask blah blah (#d) -- Person
        ...

So, an example would be:

        GSM AoA Progress
        Sean 2006-06-12 85%
        Jason 2006-08-08 85%
        Prabu 2006-09-06 80%
        [_] 22% GSM AoA (134d)
                [_] 50% Licensing (10d) -- Sean
                        ...
                [_] 28% AoA coop (35d) -- Jason
                        ...
                [_] 0% Map display (20d)
                        [_] Config client (10d) -- Sean
                        [_] Perf client (10d) -- John
        ...

And so on.  Then I run the attached Ruby script on the outline, and it
dumps out statistics on the project.  EG:

        dx3240sct01% ./schedule.rb todo.otl
        Total project length: 134 days
        Completed: 0.22%
        Completion date: 2006-10-12
              Name   Allotted   Assigned
             Jason         48         45
             Prabu         27         25
              Sean         52         55

The first two items are pulled verbatim from the outline -- no new
information there.  The completion date is calculated based on the
start dates of each person, the current % completed, and the % of time
each person is committed for.  It also calculates how many days worth
of effort each person has been allotted (between the start and end
dates), and how many days worth of work they've been assigned.

It would be really nice to extend Outliner to support auto-calculating
the number of days of effort each parent task is assigned (similarly to
how the % complete is calculated), but regardless, Outliner has turned
out to be really useful to me for this.  I can easily convert an
outline to a format that I can import into my Palm for use in
HandyOutline, and I've found it trivial to dump the top two or three
levels of information for sharing with other project managers as a
status report.

Cheers,

--- SER

_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner

schedule.rb (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: otl2html script use

Noel Henson
Sean,

I have been working on integrating simple math in outline headings. I hope
to have it ready for VO 0.4.0 as well as other features. I'm just waiting
for the time to work on it.

I also have a few scripts you might find useful. otlgrep is one. You can
enter something like:

otlgrep.py sean filename

and get:

So, an example would be:

[_] 22% GSM AoA (134d)
        [_] 50% Licensing (10d) -- Sean
        [_] 0% Map display (20d)
                [_] Config client (10d) -- Sean

You can easily extract all the todo items for each individual. Kind of like
a personal work schedule.

You can use otlhead to make summaries of outlines like this:

otlhead 2 < filename

and get:

GSM AoA Progress
Sean 2006-06-12 85%
Jason 2006-08-08 85%
Prabu 2006-09-06 80%
[_] 22% GSM AoA (134d)
        [_] 50% Licensing (10d) -- Sean
        [_] 28% AoA coop (35d) -- Jason
        [_] 0% Map display (20d)


You can find these scripts and the others at
www.noels-lab.com/software.html

Noel

PS: That website is created directly from a VO file. :)

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 06:59, Sean Russell wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 21:27, Chris Judson wrote:
> > I'm not sure if anybody is out there, but I found vimoutliner about a
>
> We're out here.  We're simply all lurkers.
>
> > ways to share my outlines, I can't seem to get the otl2html.py script
> > to work. The main error that I'm getting is that there is an
> > indentation error within the script.
>
> Out of curiosity, do you have expandtabs set?  I don't know if this
> would cause a problem, but I use noet for otl files, and I don't have a
> problem with otl2html.
>
>
> Incidentally, to encourage the posting of possibly useful scriptlets,
> I've been using outliner to do rudimentary project management.  The
> syntax is restrictive -- I haven't spent any time generalizing it, and
> have a specific use case -- but it works pretty well for me.  The
> outlines look like this:
>
> Project name
> Person start_date_YYYY-MM-DD percent_committed
> Person start_date...
> [_] % Task blah blah (#days)
> [_] % Subtask blah blah (#d) -- Person
> ...
>
> So, an example would be:
>
> GSM AoA Progress
> Sean 2006-06-12 85%
> Jason 2006-08-08 85%
> Prabu 2006-09-06 80%
> [_] 22% GSM AoA (134d)
> [_] 50% Licensing (10d) -- Sean
> ...
> [_] 28% AoA coop (35d) -- Jason
> ...
> [_] 0% Map display (20d)
> [_] Config client (10d) -- Sean
> [_] Perf client (10d) -- John
> ...
>
> And so on.  Then I run the attached Ruby script on the outline, and it
> dumps out statistics on the project.  EG:
>
> dx3240sct01% ./schedule.rb todo.otl
> Total project length: 134 days
> Completed: 0.22%
> Completion date: 2006-10-12
>      Name   Allotted   Assigned
>     Jason         48         45
>     Prabu         27         25
>      Sean         52         55
>
> The first two items are pulled verbatim from the outline -- no new
> information there.  The completion date is calculated based on the
> start dates of each person, the current % completed, and the % of time
> each person is committed for.  It also calculates how many days worth
> of effort each person has been allotted (between the start and end
> dates), and how many days worth of work they've been assigned.
>
> It would be really nice to extend Outliner to support auto-calculating
> the number of days of effort each parent task is assigned (similarly to
> how the % complete is calculated), but regardless, Outliner has turned
> out to be really useful to me for this.  I can easily convert an
> outline to a format that I can import into my Palm for use in
> HandyOutline, and I've found it trivial to dump the top two or three
> levels of information for sharing with other project managers as a
> status report.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --- SER

--

------------------------------------------------------------------
  Noel Henson
  www.noels-lab.com Chips, firmware and embedded systems
  www.vimoutliner.org Work fast. Think well.

_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: otl2html script use

Sean E. Russell-2
On Wednesday 02 August 2006 11:40, Noel Henson wrote:
> I have been working on integrating simple math in outline headings. I
> hope to have it ready for VO 0.4.0 as well as other features. I'm
> just waiting for the time to work on it.

Very, very cool.

> I also have a few scripts you might find useful. otlgrep is one. You

That's useful!

> You can use otlhead to make summaries of outlines like this:
>
> otlhead 2 < filename

For this, I use a Ruby one-liner:

        ruby -nle 'print if /^\t{0,2}\S/' todo.otl

> You can find these scripts and the others at
> www.noels-lab.com/software.html

Thanks!  Isn't there a scripts directory on the VO wiki?

--- SER
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner