otl2lyx lost spaces

Grahame Blackwood
Hi

Thank you your suggestions Steve and Noel. I tried Noel's suggestion of
including `set fo+=w' in both .vimrc and .vimoutlinerrc but unfortunately,
the lost spaces are still lost.

I then looked at Steve's endofline suggestion with the following result:

I created a small vo file with a few lines in it and processed it as follows;

cat vo_test.otl | otl2lyx.pl > tmp.lyx

Using vim, I then read tmp.lyx into a lyx skeleton file test.lyx.

On examining test.lyx I found that the lost spaces in test.lyx match the line
ends in tmp.lyx, but not in the vo_test.otl file.

I think this means the problem is not with the line ends in vo_test.otl since
they fall at different points in the file compared with tmp.lyx. Also spaces
that existed between words in the middle of lines in vo_test.lyx are lost by
the time they reach test.lyx (because they fall at line ends in tmp.lyx).

Sorry if I've not explained that very well, but I think that somewhere in the
otl2lyx.pl code that writes the output must be something that ensures the
last character is'nt a space (or even that the first character on the next
line can't be a space).

I'll keep looking in otl2lyx.pl.

Thanks for your guidance.

Cheers

Re: otl2lyx lost spaces

Steve Litt
On Friday 23 February 2007 15:45, Grahame Blackwood wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thank you your suggestions Steve and Noel. I tried Noel's suggestion of
> including `set fo+=w' in both .vimrc and .vimoutlinerrc but unfortunately,
> the lost spaces are still lost.
>
> I then looked at Steve's endofline suggestion with the following result:
>
> I created a small vo file with a few lines in it and processed it as
> follows;
>
> cat vo_test.otl | otl2lyx.pl > tmp.lyx
>
> Using vim, I then read tmp.lyx into a lyx skeleton file test.lyx.
>
> On examining test.lyx I found that the lost spaces in test.lyx match the
> line ends in tmp.lyx, but not in the vo_test.otl file.

Then I think this is a pure LyX problem. AFAIK LyX should treat a single end
of line in body text as a space. I think it should treat an end of line as a
space within ANY environment. I know for a fact that's how TeX works.

Please send me the test.lyx file, and I'll do some experimentation on it.
Also, what version of LyX are you using?

Thanks

SteveT

> I think this means the problem is not with the line ends in vo_test.otl
> since they fall at different points in the file compared with tmp.lyx. Also
> spaces that existed between words in the middle of lines in vo_test.lyx are
> lost by the time they reach test.lyx (because they fall at line ends in
> tmp.lyx).
>
> Sorry if I've not explained that very well, but I think that somewhere in
> the otl2lyx.pl code that writes the output must be something that ensures
> the last character is'nt a space (or even that the first character on the
> next line can't be a space).
>
> I'll keep looking in otl2lyx.pl.
>
> Thanks for your guidance.
>
> Cheers