otl2lyx.pl - Lost spaces

Grahame Blackwood
Hi

Following Steve's syntax I can now translate otl files to lyx. However, when
opening the lyx file, I find that there is a space lost between two words
every 70+ characters or so.

It does not seem to be exactly the same character count between the lost
spaces when looking at normal text, but if I test with a repeating sequence
of numbers such as 1 3 5 7 9 1 3 5 7 9  etc, then a space is lost at every
70th character.

Any ideas where to look to make a correction?

As far as I can tell, vim and otl2lyx are set to use 78 characters/line.

Cheers

Re: otl2lyx.pl - Lost spaces

Steve Litt
On Friday 23 February 2007 06:21, Grahame Blackwood wrote:

> Hi
>
> Following Steve's syntax I can now translate otl files to lyx. However,
> when opening the lyx file, I find that there is a space lost between two
> words every 70+ characters or so.
>
> It does not seem to be exactly the same character count between the lost
> spaces when looking at normal text, but if I test with a repeating sequence
> of numbers such as 1 3 5 7 9 1 3 5 7 9  etc, then a space is lost at every
> 70th character.
>
> Any ideas where to look to make a correction?
>
> As far as I can tell, vim and otl2lyx are set to use 78 characters/line.
>
> Cheers

That's where I would look first. Do this with a tiny outline/lyx file, and put
ENDOFLINE at the end of every line. See if *that's* where the problem is.

By the way, as far as I remember, I never production tested otl2lyx's body
text facility, so I'm not surprised it doesn't work exactly right.

Also, IIRC you discovered that LyX now uses end tags. Maybe it needs an end
tag on body text also. If so, you'd need to set up the Walker object with an
Exit callback as well as an Entry one. BeWare: there's a config somewhere to
set Exit to mean *only on exit* and another to mean on exit or on leaf nodes,
or something like that.

If necessary, I can get involved in about 2 weeks, but not right now :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/

(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.

Re: otl2lyx.pl - Lost spaces

Noel Henson
On Friday 23 February 2007 03:21, Grahame Blackwood wrote:

> Hi
>
> Following Steve's syntax I can now translate otl files to lyx. However,
> when opening the lyx file, I find that there is a space lost between two
> words every 70+ characters or so.
>
> It does not seem to be exactly the same character count between the lost
> spaces when looking at normal text, but if I test with a repeating
> sequence of numbers such as 1 3 5 7 9 1 3 5 7 9  etc, then a space is
> lost at every 70th character.
>
> Any ideas where to look to make a correction?
>
> As far as I can tell, vim and otl2lyx are set to use 78 characters/line.
>
> Cheers

This is a common effect if you don't have "set fo+=w" in your
.vimoutlinerrc or .vimrc configuration files. This option automatically
appends a space at the end of continued lines to indicate they are part of
the same paragraph.

Let everyone know if this helps.

Noel

Re: otl2lyx.pl - Lost spaces

Steve Litt
On Friday 23 February 2007 09:36, Noel Henson wrote:

> On Friday 23 February 2007 03:21, Grahame Blackwood wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Following Steve's syntax I can now translate otl files to lyx. However,
> > when opening the lyx file, I find that there is a space lost between two
> > words every 70+ characters or so.
> >
> > It does not seem to be exactly the same character count between the lost
> > spaces when looking at normal text, but if I test with a repeating
> > sequence of numbers such as 1 3 5 7 9 1 3 5 7 9  etc, then a space is
> > lost at every 70th character.
> >
> > Any ideas where to look to make a correction?
> >
> > As far as I can tell, vim and otl2lyx are set to use 78 characters/line.
> >
> > Cheers

> This is a common effect if you don't have "set fo+=w" in your
> .vimoutlinerrc or .vimrc configuration files. This option automatically
> appends a space at the end of continued lines to indicate they are part of
> the same paragraph.
>
> Let everyone know if this helps.
>
> Noel

Cool! That would be a lot easier than creating a Node.pm exit callback :-)

SteveT

--
Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware