outdated manual installation instructions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

outdated manual installation instructions

Alexandre F. Santos

Hello,

I had some problems doing the manual installation of vimoutliner in a unix
shell account where .sh scripts are not allowed. After checking install.sh
and pulling some hairs (I'm a linux newbie), I got it.

What the manual installation instructions did not explain:
- need to create a colors/ folder
- need to create a filetype.vim file
AND more importantly:
- give execution rights to the *.vim files!

Since now vimoutliner works, I did an outline of the installation
instructions :) It would be nice to include an adapted version of it in the
latest download files to spare some poor soul the pain of going through the
same steps I went, or worse give up the application altogether.

Cheers,
Alex

Installation of vimoutliner
    tar -zxvf vimoutliner-0.3.4.tar.gz
    Make directories
        mkdir ~/.vim
            mkdir ~/.vim/syntax
            mkdir ~/.vim/ftplugin
            mkdir ~/.vim/ftdetect
            mkdir ~/.vim/doc
            mkdir ~/.vim/colors
        mkdir ~/.vimoutliner
            mkdir ~/.vimoutliner/scripts
            mkdir ~/.vimoutliner/plugins
    Check that .vimrc contains
        filetype plugin indent on
        syntax on
    Create/check ~/.vim/filetype.vim :
        touch ~/.vim/filetype.vim
        edit: runtime! ftdetect/*.vim
    Transfer files to respective folders (syntax, colors, ftdetect, scripts,
etc).
    cp vimoutlinerrc to ~/.vimoutlinerrc
    chmod -R 755 .vim/* and .vimoutliner/*
    Test by vim vo_test.otl


--
5 GB Mailbox, 50 FreeSMS http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail
+++ GMX - die erste Adresse für Mail, Message, More +++
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: outdated manual installation instructions

Noel Henson
Thanks!
I'll get this info on the website, too.

Noel

On Thursday 01 September 2005 06:29 am, Alexandre F. Santos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had some problems doing the manual installation of vimoutliner in a
> unix shell account where .sh scripts are not allowed. After checking
> install.sh and pulling some hairs (I'm a linux newbie), I got it.
>
> What the manual installation instructions did not explain:
> - need to create a colors/ folder
> - need to create a filetype.vim file
> AND more importantly:
> - give execution rights to the *.vim files!
>
> Since now vimoutliner works, I did an outline of the installation
> instructions :) It would be nice to include an adapted version of it in
> the latest download files to spare some poor soul the pain of going
> through the same steps I went, or worse give up the application
> altogether.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> Installation of vimoutliner
>     tar -zxvf vimoutliner-0.3.4.tar.gz
>     Make directories
>         mkdir ~/.vim
>             mkdir ~/.vim/syntax
>             mkdir ~/.vim/ftplugin
>             mkdir ~/.vim/ftdetect
>             mkdir ~/.vim/doc
>             mkdir ~/.vim/colors
>         mkdir ~/.vimoutliner
>             mkdir ~/.vimoutliner/scripts
>             mkdir ~/.vimoutliner/plugins
>     Check that .vimrc contains
>         filetype plugin indent on
>         syntax on
>     Create/check ~/.vim/filetype.vim :
>         touch ~/.vim/filetype.vim
>         edit: runtime! ftdetect/*.vim
>     Transfer files to respective folders (syntax, colors, ftdetect,
> scripts, etc).
>     cp vimoutlinerrc to ~/.vimoutlinerrc
>     chmod -R 755 .vim/* and .vimoutliner/*
>     Test by vim vo_test.otl

--

------------------------------------------------------------------
  Noel Henson
  www.noels-lab.com Chips, firmware and embedded systems
  www.vimoutliner.org Work fast. Think well.

_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: outdated manual installation instructions

Matej Cepl-2
In reply to this post by Alexandre F. Santos
Alexandre F. Santos wrote:
> AND more importantly:
> - give execution rights to the *.vim files!

Are you sure about this? It seems to me incorrect -- none of the files in my
~/.vim/:/usr/share/vim/addons directories has execution rights and
everything works well.

Matej

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/
GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC
 
Our lives are spectacles of powerlessness.
        -- Richard Rohr


_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: outdated manual installation instructions

Alexandre F. Santos
> Von: Matej Cepl <[hidden email]>
> Datum: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:42:37 +0200

> Alexandre F. Santos wrote:
> > AND more importantly:
> > - give execution rights to the *.vim files!

> Are you sure about this? It seems to me incorrect -- none of the files in
> my
> ~/.vim/:/usr/share/vim/addons directories has execution rights and
> everything works well.
> Matej

I'm not sure about anything (I'm new to vim). But after having installed the
missing folders and adding the missing filetype file, vimoutliner was still
not working...

Then I noticed that in the decompressed tar file some .vim files had
execution rights, so I made all files executable and suddenly vimoutliner
worked.

Still, if it's not a problem of execution rights, maybe it's a user
read/write problem? In any case the instructions work as they are now... The
only problem I see with them at the moment is maybe a security issue (755):
maybe one should not give execution rights to group/all?

Alex

--
Lust, ein paar Euro nebenbei zu verdienen? Ohne Kosten, ohne Risiko!
Satte Provisionen für GMX Partner: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/partner
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: outdated manual installation instructions

Matej Cepl-2
Alexandre F. Santos wrote:

> I'm not sure about anything (I'm new to vim). But after having installed
> the missing folders and adding the missing filetype file, vimoutliner was
> still not working...
>
> Then I noticed that in the decompressed tar file some .vim files had
> execution rights, so I made all files executable and suddenly vimoutliner
> worked.
>
> Still, if it's not a problem of execution rights, maybe it's a user
> read/write problem? In any case the instructions work as they are now...
> The only problem I see with them at the moment is maybe a security issue
> (755): maybe one should not give execution rights to group/all?

Noel? Do you have any idea what's going on? And what .vim files have
execution rights in the tarball?

Matej

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/
GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC
 
Always make new mistakes
   -- Esther Dyson


_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Re: outdated manual installation instructions

Noel Henson
On Friday 02 September 2005 01:06 pm, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Noel? Do you have any idea what's going on? And what .vim files have
> execution rights in the tarball?
>
> Matej

Hmmm. I'll take a look at it. Aside from the external scripts, nothing
should have executable writes.

Noel


--

------------------------------------------------------------------
  Noel Henson
  www.noels-lab.com Chips, firmware and embedded systems
  www.vimoutliner.org Work fast. Think well.

_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner