Quantcast

path autoexpansion (autcompletion) when saving files or changing directories

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

path autoexpansion (autcompletion) when saving files or changing directories

Victoria Stuart
Hello: please forgive me if this is a FAQ; I searched (a lot: Google ...) but Icould not find a solution.  I am using neovim 0.1.7 (recent switch from Vim 8.0).

Say I want to save a file (:sav) in a different path on my system (Arch Linux); e.g., I am in ~/projects/... , and I want to save it to ~/temp/... or even another mountpoint, such as /mnt/another_drive/...

I find myself having to know/manually type the complete path; I don't have auto-completion, as in a bash terminal.

Likewise, if in Vim (nvim) I want to :cd, again I have to manuallt type the path (no autocompletion).

FYI, I have the NerdTREE and SuperTab plugins installed, if that helps.  Thanks, appreciated!

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: path autoexpansion (autcompletion) when saving files or changing directories

Frank Shute
Hi Victoria,

What you want to have a look at is:

:h cmdline-completion

I use:

set wildmode=list

in $MYVIMRC and that seems to do the same job as my shell. i.e I hit tab to
complete.

HTH.


Regards,



On 4 February 2017 at 00:25, Victoria Stuart
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello: please forgive me if this is a FAQ; I searched (a lot: Google ...) but Icould not find a solution.  I am using neovim 0.1.7 (recent switch from Vim 8.0).
>
> Say I want to save a file (:sav) in a different path on my system (Arch Linux); e.g., I am in ~/projects/... , and I want to save it to ~/temp/... or even another mountpoint, such as /mnt/another_drive/...
>
> I find myself having to know/manually type the complete path; I don't have auto-completion, as in a bash terminal.
>
> Likewise, if in Vim (nvim) I want to :cd, again I have to manuallt type the path (no autocompletion).
>
> FYI, I have the NerdTREE and SuperTab plugins installed, if that helps.  Thanks, appreciated!
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--

Frank

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: path autoexpansion (autcompletion) when saving files or changing directories

Victoria Stuart
On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 4:45:06 PM UTC-8, Frank Shute wrote:

> Hi Victoria,
>
> What you want to have a look at is:
>
> :h cmdline-completion
>
> I use:
>
> set wildmode=list
>
> in $MYVIMRC and that seems to do the same job as my shell. i.e I hit tab to
> complete.
>
> HTH.
>
>
> Regards,
>
>
>
> On 4 February 2017 at 00:25, Victoria Stuart wrote:
> > Hello: please forgive me if this is a FAQ; I searched (a lot: Google ...) but Icould not find a solution.  I am using neovim 0.1.7 (recent switch from Vim 8.0).
> >
> > Say I want to save a file (:sav) in a different path on my system (Arch Linux); e.g., I am in ~/projects/... , and I want to save it to ~/temp/... or even another mountpoint, such as /mnt/another_drive/...
> >
> > I find myself having to know/manually type the complete path; I don't have auto-completion, as in a bash terminal.
> >
> > Likewise, if in Vim (nvim) I want to :cd, again I have to manuallt type the path (no autocompletion).
> >
> > FYI, I have the NerdTREE and SuperTab plugins installed, if that helps.  Thanks, appreciated!
> >
> > --
> > --
> > You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> > Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
> >
> > ---
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>
>
> --
>
> Frank
Hi; thank you very much for your reply -- appreciated!

OK: I'm missing something obvious, or there is a problem with my ~/.vimrc (that I am also using with nvim.  Note however that I had the identical issue in Vim, and this path expansion never worked, for me.

I have these lines in .vimrc,

    set wildmode=longest,list,full
    set wildmenu

and I read the "cmdline-completion" help.  When I try that tab completion; e.g.

    :sav <tab>

or <shift-tab>, etc. as suggested in that helpfile, the only autocomplete suggestions offered are a text files that exist at the root level of that current working path; e.g.

    untitled    " a plain-text file on /mnt/Vancouver

or

    new     " a plain-text file on ~/ [/home/victoria/]
    new2    " ditto ...
    new3
    new4
    new5

If I try, e.g., to autocomplete anything else, i.e.

    :sav ~/pro <tab>    " intending to autocomplete to ~/projects/

I get nothing, at all.  Ditto (e.g.) for

    :sav /mnt/Vanc <tab>    " intending to autocomplete to /mnt/Vancouver/

In fact, at system root [ / ] level

    :sav / <tab> only gives a few, odd suggestions:

    kdeinit5__0
    klauncherXM2012...
    klauncherXM5301...
    swapfile

I should also have mentioned that I have the FZF (fuzzy completion) plugin installed, as well -- though I had this issue even before I installed that beast (in part, to address this issue).  Anyway, the mappings for those fzf completions involve Ctrl-X or <leader> bindings (not plain <tab>, <Shift-tab>, etc.).

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: path autoexpansion (autcompletion) when saving files or changing directories

Victoria Stuart
In reply to this post by Victoria Stuart
SOLUTION!

OK, I solved it.  I had a series of "ser wildignore=" lines in my .vimrc.  Commenting out those and restarting nvim solved this issue.

Thanks again for your help; much appreciated.  :-D

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: path autoexpansion (autcompletion) when saving files or changing directories

Victoria Stuart
On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 5:40:47 PM UTC-8, Victoria Stuart wrote:
> SOLUTION!
>
> OK, I solved it.  I had a series of "ser wildignore=" lines in my .vimrc.  Commenting out those and restarting nvim solved this issue.
>
> Thanks again for your help; much appreciated.  :-D

"set wildignore=" I meant (typo).

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Loading...