Quantcast

permanent insert mode in compiled vim on debian/kubuntu

permanent insert mode in compiled vim on debian/kubuntu

ethician
This post was updated on .
Hi there,

It is quite embarrassing but I couldn't figure this one out.

Building vim (7.3.1314 or 7.4beta) on Debian 7.1.0 wheezy and Kubuntu 13.04 with necessary (so that it compiles) dependencies and the following configure options:

--enable-pythoninterp
--enable-multibyte
--with-features=huge
--enable-gui=no
--without-x
--disable-nls
--with-tlib=ncurses

leads to a version where one cannot exit the insert mode. After hitting ESC, vim reverts to insert mode on its own after ~1 sec and rings a bell. Hitting ESC and a colon in a quick succession enters the insert mode and inserts a colon. ".vimrc" settings seem to not matter (could be a false lead though). It doesn't matter whether it is run from within an x terminal or a console.

Could anybody point me in the right direction?

All help is appreciated!

PS: If more information is needed, please let me know.

Edit: Attached config.log

-eth

Re: permanent insert mode in compiled vim on debian/kubuntu

ethician
Problem solved, however, the reason still remains unknown.

One configure option I left out because I thought it was irrelevant. It turned out opposite.

--with-vim-name=xyz

Once the name was different, running src/xyz after building worked fine. However, after (sudo) make install, running xyz yielded permanent insert mode.

If compiled without that configure option, all works well.

On 09/07/13 01:15, ethician wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> It is quite embarrassing but I couldn't figure this one out.
>
> Building vim (7.3.1314 or 7.4beta) on Debian 7.1.0 wheezy and Kubuntu 13.04
> with necessary (so that it compiles) dependencies and the following
> configure options:
>
> --enable-pythoninterp
> --enable-multibyte
> --with-features=huge
> --enable-gui=no
> --without-x
> --disable-nls
> --with-tlib=ncurses
>
> leads to a version where one cannot exit the insert mode. After hitting ESC,
> vim reverts to insert mode on its own after ~1 sec and rings a bell. Hitting
> ESC and a colon in a quick succession enters the insert mode and inserts a
> colon. ".vimrc" settings seem to not matter (could be a false lead though).
> It doesn't matter whether it is run from within an x terminal or a console.
>
> Could anybody point me in the right direction?
>
> All help is appreciated!
>
> PS: If more information is needed, please let me know.
>
> -eth

It seems that you got caught in the so-called "easy" mode. Check that
the executable was compiled with the default "vim" name (not "evim").
Try leaving the so-called easy mode by

        <Ctrl-O>:set noim

This should make <Esc> go back to the usual "normal" mode. Or, instead
of unsetting 'insertmode', you could use <Ctrl-L> to get temporarily
into the usual normal mode until <Esc> gets you back yo Insert mode.

Also, see what bash answers to

        type -a vim

Maybe you unwittingly got an alias, or a softlink early in the $PATH,
that redirects vim to evim ?

See
        :help 'insertmode'
        :help evim
        :help -y

Double-Blind Experiment, n.:
        An experiment in which the chief researcher believes he is
fooling both the subject and the lab assistant.  Often accompanied by a
belief in the tooth fairy.

Re: permanent insert mode in compiled vim on debian/kubuntu

ethician
Thanks much Tony! The behavior of "being stuck" in the insert mode truly was due to the so-called "easy" mode being active.

Best regards,
Tom

-eth

Re: permanent insert mode in compiled vim on debian/kubuntu

Benji Fisher-2
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM, ethician <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks much Tony! The behavior of "being stuck" in the insert mode truly was
due to the so-called "easy" mode being active.

Best regards,
Tom

-eth

I suspect that a system vimrc file is to blame.  To help diagnose,

:scriptnames
:verbose set im?
:help startup

HTH  --Benji Fisher