Quantcast

problem compiling vim70.

Ajay Gupta-2
Hello all,

I am trying to compile vim70 on my 'newly installed' fc4 box. But I
get the following error:

<snip>
checking for stack_t... (cached) yes
checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal library selection
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... (cached) yes
ncurses library is not usable
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
no terminal library found
checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
      You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
      Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.
</snip>

Anybody has any ideas what I need to do? I tried updating libncurses
using 'yum install curses'. Updation completed successfully with the
following message:

<snip>
Updated: ncurses.i386 0:5.4-19.fc4
Complete!
</snip>

TIA,
Ajay

Re: problem compiling vim70.

Christian J. Robinson
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Ajay Gupta wrote:

> no terminal library found
> checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
>      You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
>      Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.
>
> Anybody has any ideas what I need to do? I tried updating libncurses
> using 'yum install curses'.

You need to install the ncurses-devel package.

- Christian

--
          That must be wonderful. I don't understand it at all.
Christian J. Robinson <[hidden email]> http://infynity.spodzone.com/
   PGP keys: 0x893B0EAF / 0xFB698360   http://infynity.spodzone.com/pgp

Re: problem compiling vim70.

Ajay Gupta-2
Thanks. But, even that didnt work! :(

<snip>
Updated: ncurses-devel.i386 0:5.4-19.fc4
Complete!
</snip>

Still ./configure gives the same error.

On 10/16/06, Christian J. Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Ajay Gupta wrote:
>
> > no terminal library found
> > checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
> >      You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
> >      Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.
> >
> > Anybody has any ideas what I need to do? I tried updating libncurses
> > using 'yum install curses'.
>
> You need to install the ncurses-devel package.
>
> - Christian
>
> --
>           That must be wonderful. I don't understand it at all.
> Christian J. Robinson <[hidden email]> http://infynity.spodzone.com/
>    PGP keys: 0x893B0EAF / 0xFB698360   http://infynity.spodzone.com/pgp

Re: problem compiling vim70.

Paul-433
A friend had this problem on Ubuntu. I think it turned out that his
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent wasn't pointing to the ncurses library for some
reason.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Ajay Gupta wrote:

> no terminal library found
> checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
>     You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
>     Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.

.

Re: problem compiling vim70.

Gary Johnson
On 2006-10-16, Ajay Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to compile vim70 on my 'newly installed' fc4 box. But I
> get the following error:
>
> <snip>
> checking for stack_t... (cached) yes
> checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
> checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal library selection
> checking for tgetent in -lncurses... (cached) yes
> ncurses library is not usable
> checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
> checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
> no terminal library found
> checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
>      You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
>      Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.
> </snip>
>
> Anybody has any ideas what I need to do? I tried updating libncurses
> using 'yum install curses'. Updation completed successfully with the
> following message:
>
> <snip>
> Updated: ncurses.i386 0:5.4-19.fc4
> Complete!
> </snip>

Note that the messages say that configure is checking for tgetent in
termlib, termcap and curses.  They say nothing about checking in
ncurses.  If you want to use ncurses, you have to tell configure
that:

    ./configure --with-tlib=ncurses [<other options>]

As long as you installed ncurses in a standard place, you don't need
to say where you put it.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[hidden email]     | Wireless Division
                             | Spokane, Washington, USA

Re: problem compiling vim70.

Ajay Gupta-2
On 10/18/06, Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that the messages say that configure is checking for tgetent in
> termlib, termcap and curses.  They say nothing about checking in
> ncurses.  If you want to use ncurses, you have to tell configure
> that:
>
>     ./configure --with-tlib=ncurses [<other options>]
>
> As long as you installed ncurses in a standard place, you don't need
> to say where you put it.

Yeah, I tried this too. Since I installed ncurses with Yum, I am
assuming that it must be installed in the right place. I get the
following error with the above mentioned command:

<snip>
checking --with-tlib argument... ncurses
checking for linking with ncurses library... configure: error: FAILED
</snip>

It surely looks like libncurses is in the wrong place. Does anyone
know what are the exact library files and where they need to be?
Here is the uname -a output from my machine:

Linux altair 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp #1 SMP Thu Jun 2 23:08:39 EDT 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

TIA,
Ajay

> HTH,
> Gary
>
> --
> Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
> [hidden email]     | Wireless Division
>                              | Spokane, Washington, USA

Re: problem compiling vim70.

Anupam Srivastava-3

Ajay Gupta wrote:

> On 10/18/06, Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Note that the messages say that configure is checking for tgetent in
>> termlib, termcap and curses.  They say nothing about checking in
>> ncurses.  If you want to use ncurses, you have to tell configure
>> that:
>>
>>     ./configure --with-tlib=ncurses [<other options>]
>>
>> As long as you installed ncurses in a standard place, you don't need
>> to say where you put it.
>
> Yeah, I tried this too. Since I installed ncurses with Yum, I am
> assuming that it must be installed in the right place. I get the
> following error with the above mentioned command:
>
> <snip>
> checking --with-tlib argument... ncurses
> checking for linking with ncurses library... configure: error: FAILED
> </snip>
>
> It surely looks like libncurses is in the wrong place. Does anyone
> know what are the exact library files and where they need to be?
> Here is the uname -a output from my machine:
>
> Linux altair 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp #1 SMP Thu Jun 2 23:08:39 EDT 2005
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> TIA,
> Ajay

It seems your curses is not installed in the place where VIM is looking
for it. May be it is not installed correctly. Have you checked it?

Try to do this.
locate curses.h (or ncurses.h)
locate libncurses (or libcurses)

If out of any of this commans is nothing, your installation is faulty.
The directory of first output should go into CPPFLAGS and other should
go into LDFLAGS

like this:
anda=`locate curses.h`
export CPPFLAGS=-I`dirname $anda`
anda=`locate libncurses`
export LDFLAGS=-I`dirname $anda`

and then do ./configure

- --
Anupam Srivastava
Scientific Coworker
Universität Stuttgart

Get my public keys:
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys DF8B2AFE 99F8BB81

Re: problem compiling vim70.

A.J.Mechelynck
Anupam Srivastava wrote:
[...]

(Vim does compile on my system)

> Try to do this.
> locate curses.h (or ncurses.h)

locate curses.h
/usr/include/curses.h
/usr/include/curses/curses.h
/usr/include/ncurses.h
/usr/include/python2.4/py_curses.h
/usr/include/slcurses.h

> locate libncurses (or libcurses)

locate libncurses
/lib/libncurses.so.5
/lib/libncurses.so.5.4
/usr/lib/libncurses++.a
/usr/lib/libncurses++w.a
/usr/lib/libncurses.a
/usr/lib/libncurses.so
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.4
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.4.2
/usr/lib/libncursesw.so
/usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5
/usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5.5

> If out of any of this commans is nothing, your installation is faulty.
> The directory of first output should go into CPPFLAGS and other should
> go into LDFLAGS

IIUC, only one of each should go into CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS

> like this:
> anda=`locate curses.h`
> export CPPFLAGS=-I`dirname $anda`

dirname `locate curses.h`
dirname: extra operand `/usr/include/curses/curses.h'
Try `dirname --help' for more information

> anda=`locate libncurses`
> export LDFLAGS=-I`dirname $anda`

dirname `locate libncurses`
dirname: extra operand  `/lib/libncurses/so.5.4'
Try `dirname --help' for more information

> and then do ./configure
>
> - --
> Anupam Srivastava
> Scientific Coworker
> Universität Stuttgart

Re: problem compiling vim70.

Anupam Srivastava-3

A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

> Anupam Srivastava wrote:
>>
>> 1. Forget that shortcut dirname `locate curses.h` thing. It was just to
>> give the idea to Ajay about how to compile by redefinign CPPFLAGS and
>> LDFALGS.
>
> Well, you made it sound like an actual shell script that ought to work.

I am a n00b. Bear with me. That script works on my computer! :)

>>> dirname `locate libncurses`
>>> dirname: extra operand  `/lib/libncurses/so.5.4'
>>> Try `dirname --help' for more information
>>
>> 2. Atleast your out put is not 'nothing' :p
>
> No, I get several lines of output for each of them, including (IIUC) a
> number of lines which bear no relation to what should be searched by
> compile or link

That is very well explained in en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

>>> IIUC, only one of each should go into CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
>>
>> 3. Sorry didn't get you. Here is the actual mail from which I got helped:

> only one directory, not the directories of everything that "locate
> ncurses.h" did output

> only one directory, not the directories of everything that "locate
> libncurses" did output

Yeah I know :)

> I'm re-adding the vim-dev list to the CC -- I wonder why you removed it.
>
> (Disclaimer: I don't know everything about Vim, and I'm not paid to
> answer queries. I'm just another user like any of them.)
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.
Yeah I know :)

- --