promising items in the latest todo.txt

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

promising items in the latest todo.txt

Markus Heidelberg
After the latest runtime files update:

+++ b/runtime/doc/todo.txt
 Vim 7.3:
+-   Include all files in distro, no "extra" and "lang" package.
+-   Create Mercurial repository.

You took pleasure in using a VCS, Bram? That's great! Does this also
mean, the latest runtime files won't be published separately anymore?
This would be another improvement.
I hope you can preserve the history when importing.

Markus

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

Bram Moolenaar

Markus Heidelberg wrote:

> After the latest runtime files update:
>
> +++ b/runtime/doc/todo.txt
>  Vim 7.3:
> +-   Include all files in distro, no "extra" and "lang" package.
> +-   Create Mercurial repository.
>
> You took pleasure in using a VCS, Bram? That's great! Does this also
> mean, the latest runtime files won't be published separately anymore?
> This would be another improvement.
> I hope you can preserve the history when importing.

I started using Mercurial for Zimbu and it's so much easier and faster
than CVS.

Still no idea when I have time to make a 7.3 release, but I suppose it's
about time.

--
hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
48. You get a tatoo that says "This body best viewed with Netscape 3.1 or
    higher."

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

Dennis Benzinger
Hi Bram!

Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Markus Heidelberg wrote:
>
>> After the latest runtime files update:
>>
>> +++ b/runtime/doc/todo.txt
>>  Vim 7.3:
>> +-   Include all files in distro, no "extra" and "lang" package.
>> +-   Create Mercurial repository.
>>
>> You took pleasure in using a VCS, Bram? That's great! Does this also
>> mean, the latest runtime files won't be published separately anymore?
>> This would be another improvement.
>> I hope you can preserve the history when importing.
>
> I started using Mercurial for Zimbu and it's so much easier and faster
> than CVS.
>
> Still no idea when I have time to make a 7.3 release, but I suppose it's
> about time.

That's a nice Christmas present :-)

Will the repository be hosted on code.google.com or do you plan to setup
Mercurial on vim.org?


Regards,
Dennis Benzinger

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

Bram Moolenaar

Dennis Benzinger wrote:

> Hi Bram!
>
> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Markus Heidelberg wrote:
> >
> >> After the latest runtime files update:
> >>
> >> +++ b/runtime/doc/todo.txt
> >>  Vim 7.3:
> >> +-   Include all files in distro, no "extra" and "lang" package.
> >> +-   Create Mercurial repository.
> >>
> >> You took pleasure in using a VCS, Bram? That's great! Does this also
> >> mean, the latest runtime files won't be published separately anymore?
> >> This would be another improvement.
> >> I hope you can preserve the history when importing.
> >
> > I started using Mercurial for Zimbu and it's so much easier and faster
> > than CVS.
> >
> > Still no idea when I have time to make a 7.3 release, but I suppose it's
> > about time.
>
> That's a nice Christmas present :-)
>
> Will the repository be hosted on code.google.com or do you plan to setup
> Mercurial on vim.org?

code.google.com should work, I suppose.  There is no "vim.org" server,
the website is at SourceForge.

--
hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
57. You begin to wonder how on earth your service provider is allowed to call
    200 hours per month "unlimited."

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

James Vega-3
On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 05:24:33PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Dennis Benzinger wrote:
> > That's a nice Christmas present :-)
> >
> > Will the repository be hosted on code.google.com or do you plan to setup
> > Mercurial on vim.org?
>
> code.google.com should work, I suppose.  There is no "vim.org" server,
> the website is at SourceForge.

SourceForge does provide Mercurial repositories.  code.google.com only
allows a small set of open source licenses, and Vim's isn't among them.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

Nikolai Weibull-11
On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 21:26, James Vega <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 05:24:33PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>> Dennis Benzinger wrote:

>> > That's a nice Christmas present :-)

>> > Will the repository be hosted on code.google.com or do you plan to setup
>> > Mercurial on vim.org?

>> code.google.com should work, I suppose.  There is no "vim.org" server,
>> the website is at SourceForge.

> SourceForge does provide Mercurial repositories.  code.google.com only
> allows a small set of open source licenses, and Vim's isn't among them.

Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
 I mean, it would be sweet if Bram could track and pull from
repository where I would be maintaining all the runtime files that I
maintain (177).  Github makes this very easy and explicit.  I’m not
going to push choosing Git over Mercurial, but I really want to have a
say in this and I want this stuff to be as simple as possible.  The
current set-up, where I basically check out a Git mirror of the
Subversion repository, edit files, and then send them whole to Bram is
not very engaging.

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

Ernie Rael
On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories 
discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

-ernie

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

Nikolai Weibull-11
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

>> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?

> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

That’s not what I asked.

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

Nikolai Weibull-11
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

>>> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?

>> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
>> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

> That’s not what I asked.

To clarify:

Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
Github does it for Git?

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

Eric Van Dewoestine
On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 11:21:51PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>
> >>> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
>
> >> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
> >> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial
>
> > That’s not what I asked.
>
> To clarify:
>
> Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
> dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
> Github does it for Git?

Google Code allows you to create a server side clone of mercurial
repositories.  I'm almost certain that SourceForge doesn't have any
support for server side forking.  BitBucket has support for creating
server side forks and patch queues.

--
eric

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

Xavier de Gaye-2
In reply to this post by Nikolai Weibull-11
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

>
>> SourceForge does provide Mercurial repositories.  code.google.com only
>> allows a small set of open source licenses, and Vim's isn't among them.
>
> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
>  I mean, it would be sweet if Bram could track and pull from
> repository where I would be maintaining all the runtime files that I
> maintain (177).  Github makes this very easy and explicit.  I’m not
> going to push choosing Git over Mercurial, but I really want to have a
> say in this and I want this stuff to be as simple as possible.  The
> current set-up, where I basically check out a Git mirror of the
> Subversion repository, edit files, and then send them whole to Bram is
> not very engaging.


You can send Bram a bundle of your changes, see 'bundle' command at:

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hg.1.html#bundle

For example using the command:

hg bundle nikolai.hg http://vim.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/vim/vim

The 'nikolai.hg' bundle file includes all the changesets not in Bram
sourceforge repository.  Assuming all your changes are in a branch,
Bram may unbundle the 'nikolai.hg' file into his repository (or
another working clone) and merge your branch into his code.


Xavier

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php