"Local to buffer" vs "global or local to buffer" (Was: Re: Problems to make default encoding to legacy one while encoding=utf-8)

"Local to buffer" vs "global or local to buffer" (Was: Re: Problems to make default encoding to legacy one while encoding=utf-8)

adah
A. J. Mechelynck wrote:

>> Since fileencoding is a local-to-buffer option, I did not expect to
>> work.  However ... it works.  Thanks, Tony!
> [...]
> My pleasure. The reason it works (IIUC) is that all local options have
> a corresponding global default. By using the above ":set" command, you
> set both. When opening an empty window, the local option gets the
> global value.

It really seems so.  My tests show that even "set fenc<" after "setlocal
fenc=..." works.  Now I am wondering why some options (like 'tabstop'
and 'fileencoding') are marked "local to buffer", while others (like
'autoread') are marked "global or local to buffer".  I really cannot
tell the difference since either of them has a global value.

Best regards,

Yongwei