"best" terminal library for vim

tuxic
Hi,

currently I am setting up a Raspberry Pi Zero W for being used
as "commandline server" ;)
As on nearly all new systems one of the first application I install
is vim with sources from the repository.

The configure stage did not find a terminal library on the system
(which is kinda weird, since Midnight commander is installed ...
and it looks like it would also need such a lib...)

As I have the free choice now...:

The Raspberry Pi Zero W has 512Mbyte of RAM. I am connected
via ssh mt terminal is able to display colors.

What library is "the best one"?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Cheers
Meino

Re: "best" terminal library for vim

John Little-4
On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 5:30:54 PM UTC+12, [hidden email] wrote:

> ... a Raspberry Pi Zero W ...

I know next to nothing about Rasberry Pis, but ...

Assuming you're running Raspbian, which is a debian distro, so uses APT,

    apt-get build-dep vim

will get you all the packages recursively, including library ones, that the Raspian packagers used to build their vim.  The package list shows this as vim 7.3, so for vim 8 something else might be needed, but the above would at least be a very good start IMO.

I wonder how well vim-gtk runs on a Pi...

Regards, John Little

Re: "best" terminal library for vim

Christian Brabandt

On Sa, 23 Jun 2018, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently I am setting up a Raspberry Pi Zero W for being used
> as "commandline server" ;)
> As on nearly all new systems one of the first application I install
> is vim with sources from the repository.
>
> The configure stage did not find a terminal library on the system
> (which is kinda weird, since Midnight commander is installed ...
> and it looks like it would also need such a lib...)
>
> As I have the free choice now...:
>
> The Raspberry Pi Zero W has 512Mbyte of RAM. I am connected
> via ssh mt terminal is able to display colors.
>
> What library is "the best one"?

I guess you need something like (this is on debian):

#v+
~$ apt-cache showsrc vim |grep "^Build-Depends"
  Build-Depends: autoconf, debhelper (>= 11~), dpkg-dev (>= 1.18.8),
     libacl1-dev, libgpmg1-dev [linux-any], libgtk-3-dev, libgtk2.0-dev,
     liblua5.2-dev, libperl-dev, libselinux1-dev [linux-any],
     libtinfo-dev | libncurses5-dev, libxaw7-dev, libxpm-dev, libxt-dev,
     lua5.2, python3-dev, ruby, ruby-dev, tcl-dev
  Build-Depends-Indep: docbook-utils, docbook-xml, ghostscript, pdf2svg
~$
#v-

Not sure what you mean with terminal library, but I guess you need
either libtinfo-dev or libncurses5-dev

Which one is better, I don't know and most likely depends on your
definition of better. Note, these are needed only for compilation, not
for the installed packages.

Best,
Christian
--
Zur sinnlichen Liebe ist bei den meisten leicht zu gelangen; aber
schwer bei wenigen ist die rechte zu erwerben.

Re: "best" terminal library for vim

Elijah Griffin
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018, [hidden email] wrote:
> currently I am setting up a Raspberry Pi Zero W for being used
> as "commandline server" ;)
> The configure stage did not find a terminal library on the system
> (which is kinda weird, since Midnight commander is installed ...
> and it looks like it would also need such a lib...)
> The Raspberry Pi Zero W has 512Mbyte of RAM. I am connected
> via ssh mt terminal is able to display colors.

It sounds like you don't want a library, but an interface to use
vim in a way that allows access to the colors.

Because if you can run vim and see the output, then you already have
all the libraries you need. Display of colors in vim will be gated
(at least for standard compiles) not by terminal libraries installed,
but by terminal definition.

What does $TERM contain on the local side of your ssh connnection?
What does $TERM contain on the Pi side of your ssh connection?
That's probably where you should look first. Second is seeing if
you have compatible terminal definitions on either side.

Elijah