Quantcast

"[converted]"?

Gene Kwiecinski
Never saw *this* before...

There's one file (.htm) that I edit, and every time I write it to-disk,
it'll say "[converted]", much the way you'd see on reading a file the
status message that lists any non-native format or other quirks of the
file, eg, "[unix]", "[noeol]", etc.  (At least that's what I recall;
the file's at home and don't have access to it here.)

Uhhh, "converted" from/to *what*??

I explicitly set the file format to "dos" (running on w98), then write
it out with changes, etc., and quit, but every time I fire up even a new
session of 'vim' and read it again to edit it, I get the same
"[converted]" text on writing it back out.  So it seems to be writing it
back to the same "converted" way it was before, enough that it always
lists that text on writing the file even in a new editing session.

I did ':help converted^D' but came up with nothing that seemed relevant.

Any ideas?

Re: "[converted]"?

Tim Chase-2
> There's one file (.htm) that I edit, and every time I write it to-disk,
> it'll say "[converted]", much the way you'd see on reading a file the
> status message that lists any non-native format or other quirks of the
> file, eg, "[unix]", "[noeol]", etc.  (At least that's what I recall;
> the file's at home and don't have access to it here.)
>
> Uhhh, "converted" from/to *what*??

It's an encoding issue:

        :help read-messages

where you'll read the terse blurb:

     conversion from 'fileencoding' to 'encoding' done

indicating that the file was encoded in one way ('fileencoding')
but your vim is set to use 'encoding', so the file was converted
from 'fileencoding' to 'encoding'.

It would be nice to have a link so that

        :help converted

dropped you right there in the docs, but at least

        :helpgrep converted]

found it.

RE: "[converted]"?

Gene Kwiecinski
>>There's one file (.htm) that I edit, and every time I write it
to-disk,
>>it'll say "[converted]", much the way you'd see on reading a file the
>>status message that lists any non-native format or other quirks of the
>>file, eg, "[unix]", "[noeol]", etc.  (At least that's what I recall;
>>the file's at home and don't have access to it here.)
>>Uhhh, "converted" from/to *what*??

>It's an encoding issue:

I suspected something along those lines, but there was no "<meta ...>"
tag listing any weirdo charset (utf8, unicode, windows1252, whatever),
no non-ascii chars (that I could see), etc.

Come to think of it, there were some latin quotes, so might be an errant
'&aelig;' or something similar embedded in text only as a character
itself, not a named entity.  Something like that might sneak by me...

> :help read-messages
>where you'll read the terse blurb:
>     conversion from 'fileencoding' to 'encoding' done

Aha.  Didn't see that text anywhere when reading/writing the file, and I
was purposely looking for such a thing as a clue.

>indicating that the file was encoded in one way ('fileencoding')
>but your vim is set to use 'encoding', so the file was converted
>from 'fileencoding' to 'encoding'.

Will have to look.

Personally, I *hate* when people do that, instead of using, say, a
portable "&entity;" for non-ascii chars.

>It would be nice to have a link so that
> :help converted
>dropped you right there in the docs, but at least
> :helpgrep converted]
>found it.

Kewl, tnx.  Will have a look-see...