"flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

"flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Ron Aaron
I have recently started editing files with a '.wiki' extension, and
rather than getting the 'wikipedia' filetype, they pick up  the
'flexwiki' type.  That's not the problem.

The problem is that the 'flexwiki' filetype handler sets "bomb",
resulting in extra characters at the front of my utf8 files -- this
has caused problems with other software which reads those files (I
never have 'bomb' set).

Scanning the ftplugins, it seems 'flexwiki' is the only one which sets
'bomb'.  Is it an ok thing for it to do?  Also, why is "flexwiki" the
handler, when wikipedia is probably the most widely used wiki?  But
that's a quibble.

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Maxim Kim
On 29 апр, 10:48, ron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have recently started editing files with a '.wiki' extension, and
> rather than getting the 'wikipedia' filetype, they pick up  the
> 'flexwiki' type.  That's not the problem.
>
> The problem is that the 'flexwiki' filetype handler sets "bomb",
> resulting in extra characters at the front of my utf8 files -- this
> has caused problems with other software which reads those files (I
> never have 'bomb' set).
>
> Scanning the ftplugins, it seems 'flexwiki' is the only one which sets
> 'bomb'.  Is it an ok thing for it to do?  Also, why is "flexwiki" the
> handler, when wikipedia is probably the most widely used wiki?  But
> that's a quibble.

I had the very same problem with it.

Check http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/23f33912b2c0d292/90ba2a0b3a80a1fc?lnk=gst&q=flexwiki#90ba2a0b3a80a1fc

In my plugin I just do

augroup filetypedetect
  " clear FlexWiki's stuff
  au! * *.wiki
augroup end

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Tony Mechelynck
On 29/04/10 16:55, Maxim Kim wrote:

> On 29 апр, 10:48, ron<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I have recently started editing files with a '.wiki' extension, and
>> rather than getting the 'wikipedia' filetype, they pick up  the
>> 'flexwiki' type.  That's not the problem.
>>
>> The problem is that the 'flexwiki' filetype handler sets "bomb",
>> resulting in extra characters at the front of my utf8 files -- this
>> has caused problems with other software which reads those files (I
>> never have 'bomb' set).
>>
>> Scanning the ftplugins, it seems 'flexwiki' is the only one which sets
>> 'bomb'.  Is it an ok thing for it to do?  Also, why is "flexwiki" the
>> handler, when wikipedia is probably the most widely used wiki?  But
>> that's a quibble.
>
> I had the very same problem with it.
>
> Check http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/23f33912b2c0d292/90ba2a0b3a80a1fc?lnk=gst&q=flexwiki#90ba2a0b3a80a1fc
>
> In my plugin I just do
>
> augroup filetypedetect
>    " clear FlexWiki's stuff
>    au! * *.wiki
> augroup end

A simpler solution would be to create a script
<something>/ftplugin/flexwiki.vim with <something> being an entry which
comes after $VIMRUNTIME in the 'runtimepath' option (i.e.
$VIM/vimfiles/after on any platform, or also $HOME/vimfiles/after on
Windows, $HOME/.vim/after on Unix), with the following contents (create
the file and/or directories if they don't yet exist; append to the file
if it does exist):

        setlocal nobomb

You can also override other "obnoxious" settings there in the same way
if you want.

BTW, I usually have 'bomb' set myself; I clear it for files (such as
anything starting with #! on its first line) which will be handled by
software that doesn't know about the BOM. (At least, for HTML and, I
think, CSS, the BOM is an official part of how encodings get recognized.)

If you think last Tuesday was a drag, wait till you see what happens
tomorrow!

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Maxim Kim

On 30 апр, 06:35, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 29/04/10 16:55, Maxim Kim wrote:
> > I had the very same problem with it.
> > In my plugin I just do
>
> > augroup filetypedetect
> >    " clear FlexWiki's stuff
> >    au! * *.wiki
> > augroup end
>
> A simpler solution would be to create a script
> <something>/ftplugin/flexwiki.vim with <something> being an entry which
> comes after $VIMRUNTIME in the 'runtimepath' option (i.e.
> $VIM/vimfiles/after on any platform, or also $HOME/vimfiles/after on
> Windows, $HOME/.vim/after on Unix), with the following contents (create
> the file and/or directories if they don't yet exist; append to the file
> if it does exist):
>
>         setlocal nobomb
In my case the problem with this solution was in changed state of the
buffer after switching bomb/nobomb.

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Patrick Texier-2
Le Fri, 30 Apr 2010 04:35:30 +0200, Tony Mechelynck a écrit dans le
message <[hidden email]> :

> BTW, I usually have 'bomb' set myself; I clear it for files (such as
> anything starting with #! on its first line) which will be handled by
> software that doesn't know about the BOM. (At least, for HTML and, I
> think, CSS, the BOM is an official part of how encodings get recognized.)

It's your choice, I hate BOMs: files are no more ASCII compatible.

A filetype pluging should *never* force UTF-8 encoding or write a
(Windows) BOM. I don't know result if Vim is not compiled with
multibyte.
--
Patrick Texier

Ron Aaron wrote:

> I have recently started editing files with a '.wiki' extension, and
> rather than getting the 'wikipedia' filetype, they pick up  the
> 'flexwiki' type.  That's not the problem.
>
> The problem is that the 'flexwiki' filetype handler sets "bomb",
> resulting in extra characters at the front of my utf8 files -- this
> has caused problems with other software which reads those files (I
> never have 'bomb' set).
>
> Scanning the ftplugins, it seems 'flexwiki' is the only one which sets
> 'bomb'.  Is it an ok thing for it to do?  Also, why is "flexwiki" the
> handler, when wikipedia is probably the most widely used wiki?  But
> that's a quibble.

Setting 'bomb' is weird.  Unless the filetype requires the file to be
written in utf-8 for the file to be working properly.

George, is setting 'bomb' really required?  If so, how can we avoid that
this happens when the flexwiki filetype is detected when it's actually
another kind of file?

As a guard, 'bomb' should only be set when 'encoding' is utf-8.
This applies to 'fileencoding' as well.

At the time of writing the www.flexwiki.com site was not available, thus
I could not check any specification there.

--
A)bort, R)etry, P)lease don't bother me again

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

George V. Reilly

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Scanning the ftplugins, it seems 'flexwiki' is the only one which sets
> 'bomb'.  Is it an ok thing for it to do?  Also, why is "flexwiki" the
> handler, when wikipedia is probably the most widely used wiki?  But
> that's a quibble.

Setting 'bomb' is weird.  Unless the filetype requires the file to be
written in utf-8 for the file to be working properly.

George, is setting 'bomb' really required?  If so, how can we avoid that
this happens when the flexwiki filetype is detected when it's actually
another kind of file?

As a guard, 'bomb' should only be set when 'encoding' is utf-8.
This applies to 'fileencoding' as well.

At the time of writing the www.flexwiki.com site was not available, thus
I could not check any specification there.

I haven't used Flexwiki in 3 years, so I forget the details of why 'bomb' was needed.

I think Flexwiki is dead or nearly so. It seems like mapping .wiki files to wikipedia (MediaWiki?) rather than Flexwiki is far more useful. Feel free to remove the flexwiki mapping from ftplugin.vim.
--
/George V. Reilly  [hidden email]  Twitter: @georgevreilly
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Bram Moolenaar

George V. Reilly wrote:

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Scanning the ftplugins, it seems 'flexwiki' is the only one which sets
> > > 'bomb'.  Is it an ok thing for it to do?  Also, why is "flexwiki" the
> > > handler, when wikipedia is probably the most widely used wiki?  But
> > > that's a quibble.
> >
> > Setting 'bomb' is weird.  Unless the filetype requires the file to be
> > written in utf-8 for the file to be working properly.
> >
> > George, is setting 'bomb' really required?  If so, how can we avoid that
> > this happens when the flexwiki filetype is detected when it's actually
> > another kind of file?
> >
> > As a guard, 'bomb' should only be set when 'encoding' is utf-8.
> > This applies to 'fileencoding' as well.
> >
> > At the time of writing the www.flexwiki.com site was not available, thus
> > I could not check any specification there.
>

> I haven't used Flexwiki in 3 years, so I forget the details of why 'bomb'
> was needed.
>
> I think Flexwiki is dead or nearly so. It seems like mapping .wiki files to
> wikipedia (MediaWiki?) rather than Flexwiki is far more useful. Feel free to
> remove the flexwiki mapping from ftplugin.vim.

What I did now is to disable recognizing .wiki files as flexwiki.
Someone still using these files can re-enable it when needed.

I can't find another file format that uses the .wiki extension.
Mediawiki uses .mw.

--
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.
The goal of nature is to build better mice.

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Lech Lorens
On 02-May-2010 Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ron Aaron wrote:
>
> > I have recently started editing files with a '.wiki' extension, and
> > rather than getting the 'wikipedia' filetype, they pick up  the
> > 'flexwiki' type.  That's not the problem.
> >
> > The problem is that the 'flexwiki' filetype handler sets "bomb",
> > resulting in extra characters at the front of my utf8 files -- this
> > has caused problems with other software which reads those files (I
> > never have 'bomb' set).
> >
> > Scanning the ftplugins, it seems 'flexwiki' is the only one which sets
> > 'bomb'.  Is it an ok thing for it to do?  Also, why is "flexwiki" the
> > handler, when wikipedia is probably the most widely used wiki?  But
> > that's a quibble.
>
> Setting 'bomb' is weird.  Unless the filetype requires the file to be
> written in utf-8 for the file to be working properly.
[...]
> As a guard, 'bomb' should only be set when 'encoding' is utf-8.
> This applies to 'fileencoding' as well.

I might be totally wrong basing my understanding of BOM and character
sets mainly on Wikipedia, but I thought that setting 'bomb' for utf-8
encoded files (which does not pose a risk of misinterpreting the
contents due to endianness difference) didn't make much sense. For
utf-16 that would be another thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark

--
Cheers,
Lech

On Monday 03 May 2010 23:12:42 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> What I did now is to disable recognizing .wiki files as flexwiki.
> Someone still using these files can re-enable it when needed.
>
> I can't find another file format that uses the .wiki extension.
> Mediawiki uses .mw.

It's common to use the '.wiki'  for any wiki text file; so making both it and
'.mw' load MediaWiki syntax makes sense.

--
For privacy, my GPG key signature is: AD29415D

Ron Aaron wrote:

> On Monday 03 May 2010 23:12:42 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > What I did now is to disable recognizing .wiki files as flexwiki.
> > Someone still using these files can re-enable it when needed.
> >
> > I can't find another file format that uses the .wiki extension.
> > Mediawiki uses .mw.
>
> It's common to use the '.wiki'  for any wiki text file; so making both
> it and '.mw' load MediaWiki syntax makes sense.

There is no MediaWiki syntax file.

9. All your daydreaming is preoccupied with getting a faster connection to the
   net: 28.8...ISDN...cable modem...T1...T3.

On Tuesday 04 May 2010 21:52:54 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> There is no MediaWiki syntax file.

Sorry, it's called Wikipedia.

--
Sending me something private?
Use my GPG public key: AD29415D

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Charles Campbell
Ron Aaron wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 May 2010 21:52:54 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>

>> There is no MediaWiki syntax file.
>>

> Sorry, it's called Wikipedia.

Hello!

Ron, Bram was wanting a Wikipedia syntax file.  I can't vouch for it,
but perhaps you mean the one in:

Chip Campbell

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Ron Aaron
On May 4, 11:57 pm, Charles Campbell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ron, Bram was wanting a Wikipedia syntax file.  I can't vouch for it,
> but perhaps you mean the one in:

I think that's the one I use, yes.

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

On 03/05/10 23:45, Lech Lorens wrote:
[...]
> I might be totally wrong basing my understanding of BOM and character
> sets mainly on Wikipedia, but I thought that setting 'bomb' for utf-8
> encoded files (which does not pose a risk of misinterpreting the
> contents due to endianness difference) didn't make much sense. For
> utf-16 that would be another thing.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark

Notwithstanding its name, the BOM provides more than just endianness
detection. Actually, it is an "encoding signal" which allows detecting
all five of the following encodings, assuming a UTF-16le file won't
start with a NULL:

utf-16be    FE FF
utf-16le    FF FE
utf-8       EF BB BF
utf-32be    00 00 FE FF
utf-32le    FF FE 00 00

For instance, when I was still on XP, I noticed that WordPad could read
UTF-8 files but only if they started with a BOM. When writing what it
called "Unicode", what it produced was UTF-16le with BOM.

Any file starting 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF can be assumed to be in UTF-8.
Distinguishing UTF-8 from Latin1 or Windows-1252 would otherwise require
scanning the whole file, checking for invalid UTF-8 byte sequences.

Life is a gift, living is an art. (Bram Moolenaar)

Re: "flexwiki" ftplugin causing problems ('bomb')

Benjamin R. Haskell-8
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 03/05/10 23:45, Lech Lorens wrote:
> [...]
> > I might be totally wrong basing my understanding of BOM and
> > character sets mainly on Wikipedia, but I thought that setting
> > 'bomb' for utf-8 encoded files (which does not pose a risk of
> > misinterpreting the contents due to endianness difference) didn't
> > make much sense. For utf-16 that would be another thing.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark
> >

> Notwithstanding its name, the BOM provides more than just endianness
> detection. Actually, it is an "encoding signal" which allows detecting
> all five of the following encodings, assuming a UTF-16le file won't
> start with a NULL:
>
> utf-16be    FE FF
> utf-16le    FF FE
> utf-8       EF BB BF
> utf-32be    00 00 FE FF
> utf-32le    FF FE 00 00
>
> For instance, when I was still on XP, I noticed that WordPad could
> read UTF-8 files but only if they started with a BOM. When writing
> what it called "Unicode", what it produced was UTF-16le with BOM.
>
> Any file starting 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF can be assumed to be in UTF-8.
> Distinguishing UTF-8 from Latin1 or Windows-1252 would otherwise
> require scanning the whole file, checking for invalid UTF-8 byte
> sequences.

Quoting the same Wikipedia article Lech mentioned:

"While [the] Unicode standard allows BOM in UTF-8, it does not require
or recommend it."

and paraphrasing the rest of that paragraph:

Using a BOM as the first character of a UTF-8-encoded file can cause
problems with the shebang line[1] in Unix-like systems.  And
UTF-8-capable software is often written to assume UTF-8 unless otherwise
directed, so the U+FEFF character at the start of the stream is often
interpreted incorrectly.

The Unicode UTF-{8,16,32} & BOM FAQ probably worded it better than
Wikipedia or I[2].

--
Best,
Ben

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix)
[2] http://unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#bom5

On 27/06/10 21:21, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> On 03/05/10 23:45, Lech Lorens wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I might be totally wrong basing my understanding of BOM and
>>> character sets mainly on Wikipedia, but I thought that setting
>>> 'bomb' for utf-8 encoded files (which does not pose a risk of
>>> misinterpreting the contents due to endianness difference) didn't
>>> make much sense. For utf-16 that would be another thing.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark
>>>

>> Notwithstanding its name, the BOM provides more than just endianness
>> detection. Actually, it is an "encoding signal" which allows detecting
>> all five of the following encodings, assuming a UTF-16le file won't
>> start with a NULL:
>>
>> utf-16be    FE FF
>> utf-16le    FF FE
>> utf-8       EF BB BF
>> utf-32be    00 00 FE FF
>> utf-32le    FF FE 00 00
>>
>> For instance, when I was still on XP, I noticed that WordPad could
>> read UTF-8 files but only if they started with a BOM. When writing
>> what it called "Unicode", what it produced was UTF-16le with BOM.
>>
>> Any file starting 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF can be assumed to be in UTF-8.
>> Distinguishing UTF-8 from Latin1 or Windows-1252 would otherwise
>> require scanning the whole file, checking for invalid UTF-8 byte
>> sequences.
>
> Quoting the same Wikipedia article Lech mentioned:
>
> "While [the] Unicode standard allows BOM in UTF-8, it does not require
> or recommend it."
>
> and paraphrasing the rest of that paragraph:
>
> Using a BOM as the first character of a UTF-8-encoded file can cause
> problems with the shebang line[1] in Unix-like systems.  And
> UTF-8-capable software is often written to assume UTF-8 unless otherwise
> directed, so the U+FEFF character at the start of the stream is often
> interpreted incorrectly.
>
> The Unicode UTF-{8,16,32}&  BOM FAQ probably worded it better than
> Wikipedia or I[2].

Yes, a UTF-8 BOM will interfere with any software that has no knowledge
of Unicode and expects some particular "magic bytes" at the start, or
simply won't accept 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF at the start of a document. The #!
shebang is just one example.

OTOH, in filetypes where UTF-8 is but one possibility among many, the
BOM is useful to specify the encoding or to confirm what was set
otherwise. Examples:

- HTML charset can be set by the HTTP "Content-Type" header (in an HTTP
or HTTPS transaction extrernal to the file), in a <meta
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=something"> tag
(replacing "something" by the charset) within the <head> section, or by
a BOM. There are even official priority rules that tell browsers what to
do when two or three of the above are present (and they are necessary,
because -I'm told- some braindead hosts will send "Content-Type:
text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" for any *.htm or *.html file regardless
of BOM or <meta> tags).

- CSS charset can be set by a BOM.

- XML charset can be set (IIRC) by a <? header line or by a BOM

- XHTML is both HTML and XML so the methods of both apply to it.

Personally I use the following rules of thumb:

- Add a BOM to Unicode files meant for use by a browser.
- Don't add it to UTF-8 files mostly in US-ASCII (possibly with
codepoints above 0x7F in literals and comments) if they're meant for use
by a shell, the 'make' utility, or a compiler.
- Some Windows programs won't read UTF-8 correctly unless a BOM is present.
- On Windows, when a system file is said to be in 'Unicode' that usually
means UTF-16le with BOM.
- Vim helpfiles in a single directory must either all have a BOM, or
(recommended) all lack a BOM. If some have one and others not, the
":helptags" command will abort with an error.

This does not explicitly cover all cases; when it doesn't (or in the
cases where some of the above rules conflict), I proceed by analogy and
by trial and error.

One man's brain plus one other will produce one half as many ideas as
one man would have produced alone.  These two plus two more will
produce half again as many ideas.  These four plus four more begin to
represent a creative meeting, and the ratio changes to one quarter as
many ...
                -- Anthony Chevins