"real" shell in window?

ANDY KENNEDY
All,

First, thanks Christian for adding me back to the list ;).

Is there a way in Vim to open a :vs, then launch some sort of shell in
that window?

I found a couple of different plugins that appear to be loosely what I
want, but I would rather have something that has been pushed back to
the Vim.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: "real" shell in window?

Christian Brabandt

On Mi, 09 Aug 2017, ANDY KENNEDY wrote:

> All,
>
> First, thanks Christian for adding me back to the list ;).

You're welcome.

> Is there a way in Vim to open a :vs, then launch some sort of shell in
> that window?
>
> I found a couple of different plugins that appear to be loosely what I
> want, but I would rather have something that has been pushed back to
> the Vim.

Currently, Bram is working on including a terminal natively in Vim. So
you can try to compile yourself a Vim version from the source
repository, configure it with `--enable-terminal` and in that build Vim
you can then issue a :term command that runs a shell in that window.
Read :h terminal.txt for more details.

You can find precompiled binaries at the vim/vim-win32-installer
repository.

But notice, this is work in progress, not everything works there and it
might have still some rough edges. However feedback is very welcomed at
the vim-dev list.

Best,
Christian
--
Wenn ein Privatbetrieb so wie die EG strukturiert wäre, wäre er nach
zwei Jahren bankrott.

Re: "real" shell in window?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> All,
>
> First, thanks Christian for adding me back to the list ;).
>
> Is there a way in Vim to open a :vs, then launch some sort of shell in
> that window?
>
> I found a couple of different plugins that appear to be loosely what I
> want, but I would rather have something that has been pushed back to
> the Vim.

:terminal opens terminal emulator in a new window in Vim, in the
current window in Neovim. In Vim this functionality is new and
unstable, in Neovim it is much more established.

> Thanks,
> Andy

> ---

Re: "real" shell in window?

Christian Brabandt

On Fr, 11 Aug 2017, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> You can find precompiled binaries at the vim/vim-win32-installer
> repository.

I think I am wrong because I think those binaries do not include the new
terminal feature.

Best,
Christian
--
Die Unterschiede in den Anlagen der Menschen sind ungeheuer groß.
Haben wir das einmal richtig erkannt, so verstehen wir, daß die

Re: "real" shell in window?

Gua Chung Lim
* ANDY KENNEDY ([hidden email]) wrote:
> Is there a way in Vim to open a :vs, then launch some sort of shell in
> that window?
>
> I found a couple of different plugins that appear to be loosely what I
> want, but I would rather have something that has been pushed back to
> the Vim.
Regarding plugins, do you mean Conque Shell, a.k.a. ConqueTerm?

Gua Chung Lim

If you desire knowledges, learn one thing everyday.
If you desire wisdom, leave one thing everyday.

-- Lao Tzu

Re: "real" shell in window?

Cesar Romani-2
On 11/08/2017 01:12 a.m., Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov wrote:
 >> All,
 >>
 >> First, thanks Christian for adding me back to the list ;).
 >>
 >> Is there a way in Vim to open a :vs, then launch some sort of shell in
 >> that window?
 >>
 >> I found a couple of different plugins that appear to be loosely what I
 >> want, but I would rather have something that has been pushed back to
 >> the Vim.
 >
 > :terminal opens terminal emulator in a new window in Vim, in the
 > current window in Neovim. In Vim this functionality is new and
 > unstable, in Neovim it is much more established.

I downloaded the stable version, 0.2.1, of Neovim for Windows.
I did :terminal and it didn't work!
It opens a cmd terminal, and it freezes. You cannot input any command!

Re: "real" shell in window?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> On 11/08/2017 01:12 a.m., Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> First, thanks Christian for adding me back to the list ;).
>>>
>>> Is there a way in Vim to open a :vs, then launch some sort of shell in
>>> that window?
>>>
>>> I found a couple of different plugins that appear to be loosely what I
>>> want, but I would rather have something that has been pushed back to
>>> the Vim.
>>
>> :terminal opens terminal emulator in a new window in Vim, in the
>> current window in Neovim. In Vim this functionality is new and
>> unstable, in Neovim it is much more established.
>
> I downloaded the stable version, 0.2.1, of Neovim for Windows.
> I did :terminal and it didn't work!
> It opens a cmd terminal, and it freezes. You cannot input any command!

On Windows :terminal is not supported yet, though there is an
unfinished PR which fixes that. <C-\><C-n> to quit terminal mode to
:bwipe opened buffer should still work. In Vim this is in master;
though I can’t compare stability of
https://github.com/neovim/neovim/pull/7007 to Vim Windows :terminal
support, latter definitely has more users.