"* register doesn't work

BingYU-2
Hi list

I use terminal VIM on my Debian Linux box, I select one line in vim and "*y
then in Firefox I press the middle button, It does't paste the selected
text.

Meanwhile, I can exchange text using the mouse, left button select and middle
button paste between VIM and other application such as firefox and qterm.

I googled and read the :help "* , but find nothing to get my problem done.
Someone kindly give me some hint? any suggetion is welcome. because right
now I did't know where the problem is, VIM or X11 ?

Thank you for your  attention.

You are farsighted, a good planner, an ardent lover, and a faithful friend.

Re: "* register doesn't work

Marian Csontos
Hi,

Try "+ register, I don't know difference between them, but it could help
you.

Regards

-- Marian

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:32:10 +0200, BingYU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I use terminal VIM on my Debian Linux box, I select one line in vim and
> "*y
> then in Firefox I press the middle button, It does't paste the selected
> text.
>
> Meanwhile, I can exchange text using the mouse, left button select and
> middle
> button paste between VIM and other application such as firefox and qterm.
>
> I googled and read the :help "* , but find nothing to get my problem
> done.
> Someone kindly give me some hint? any suggetion is welcome. because right
> now I did't know where the problem is, VIM or X11 ?
>
> Thank you for your  attention.

________ Information from NOD32 ________
http://www.nod32.com

Re: "* register doesn't work

James Vega-3
On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:32:10PM +0800, BingYU wrote:
> I googled and read the :help "* , but find nothing to get my problem done.
> Someone kindly give me some hint? any suggetion is welcome. because right
> now I did't know where the problem is, VIM or X11 ?

Do you see the string "+xterm_clipboard" when you run Vim's ":version"
command?  If instead you see -xterm_clipboard, then that would explain
why Vim is not behaving as you expect.  Another possibility is that
you're starting Vim in an environment where it doesn't realize X is
running (such as having no DISPLAY environment variable).

James
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

Re: "* register doesn't work

BingYU-2
Thank you James, It really helpfule, Now the problem is done!

It turn out to be my VIM didn't include the feature of "+xterm_clipboard"
and I update to the new version of VIM-full, Now the problem is solved.

Thank you again. Have a nice day!

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 08:02:08AM -0400, James Vega wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:32:10PM +0800, BingYU wrote:
> > I googled and read the :help "* , but find nothing to get my problem done.
> > Someone kindly give me some hint? any suggetion is welcome. because right
> > now I did't know where the problem is, VIM or X11 ?
>
> Do you see the string "+xterm_clipboard" when you run Vim's ":version"
> command?  If instead you see -xterm_clipboard, then that would explain
> why Vim is not behaving as you expect.  Another possibility is that
> you're starting Vim in an environment where it doesn't realize X is
> running (such as having no DISPLAY environment variable).
>
> James
> --
> GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

--
Write yourself a threatening letter and pen a defiant reply.