"save as" functionality under windows / create own distribution?

"save as" functionality under windows / create own distribution?

Wolfgang Schmidt
 Hi there,

I've just switched from Emacs to Vim, because I often have to work on
remote machines and it's difficult sometimes to transfer a complete
Emcas environment to a remote machine.

I got a problem using the "save as" functionality using Windows: while
under *n*x e.g.

:w /devel/mydir/%

does work as expected (saves the currently edited file in another
directory with the same filename), this does not work under Windows:

:w c:\Temp\%

Instead, a file c:\Temp%  is created. I think I pobably have to mask the
% sign, but I don't know how. Can anyone help?

Another question: Is there a way of building my own vim bundle as
self-installing executable? Distributions like Knoppix can
be unpacked, modified and re-packed by users to create a personalized
edition. All the time I install the Vim63-executable on remote Windows
machines, I have to do some extra work to add modifications to the Vim
installation, e.g. alternate Python indenting files, my _vimrc,
additional programs like ctags etc. Of course I could just tar all files
I need, but then I would have to create all Windows desktop links and
menu entries manually. Is there a possibility to unpack a Vim bundle
like the 63-Installer, modify it and repack it to get my own customized
installer?

Thanx in advance

   Wolfgang

Re: "save as" functionality under windows / create own distribution?

A.J.Mechelynck
> I've just switched from Emacs to Vim, because I often have to work on
> remote machines and it's difficult sometimes to transfer a complete Emcas
> environment to a remote machine.
>
> I got a problem using the "save as" functionality using Windows: while
> under *n*x e.g.
>
> :w /devel/mydir/%
>
> does work as expected (saves the currently edited file in another
> directory with the same filename), this does not work under Windows:
>
> :w c:\Temp\%
>
> Instead, a file c:\Temp%  is created. I think I pobably have to mask the %
> sign, but I don't know how. Can anyone help?

I assume you don't want the full path to the current file, but only the file
_name_, after C:\Temp

Method I: ":saveas C:/Temp/%:t" or ":w C:/Temp/%:t" (without the quotes and
with forward slashes)

Method II: "exe 'w c:\Temp\' . expand('%:t')" (without the double quotes but
with the single quotes). Here also, you can replace w by saveas. The
difference between ":w foobar" and ":saveas foobar" is that in the former
case your "current filename" doesn't change, in the latter it does.

See ":help filename-modifiers".

Note: the \% is used in Vim to mean "a real percent sign, not the current
file name" -- except where it can be put within single quotes.

> Another question: Is there a way of building my own vim bundle as
> self-installing executable? Distributions like Knoppix can
> be unpacked, modified and re-packed by users to create a personalized
> edition. All the time I install the Vim63-executable on remote Windows
> machines, I have to do some extra work to add modifications to the Vim
> installation, e.g. alternate Python indenting files, my _vimrc, additional
> programs like ctags etc. Of course I could just tar all files I need, but
> then I would have to create all Windows desktop links and menu entries
> manually. Is there a possibility to unpack a Vim bundle like the
> 63-Installer, modify it and repack it to get my own customized installer?
>
> Thanx in advance
>
>   Wolfgang

There is, but I'm not sure how; you might want to check Steve Hall's vim
site http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html . In such cases it's better of
course to start with the latest revision of the files (Bram's self-installer
is 6.3.000; Steve's is currently 6.3.025; on my site
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/ you can get the latest
executables [currently 6.3.086] and a fairly recent set of runtime files;
plus a set of pointers to other interesting "vim" pages on the Web).