"superscript" asterisk is gone!

Charles E Campbell Jr
Hello:

I had been using a space (hex: 32) followed by a composing character
(hex: 20f0) to get a superscript asterisk.  I no longer see the
"superscript" asterisk.

* I did an o/s upgrade in the past 6 months or so, and so that could be
why the "superscript asterisk" is no longer visible
* possibly vim has been "upgraded" so that the "superscript asterisk" is
no longer visible

I used it, as an example, in comments to indicate that a
conjugate-transpose of a matrix was indicated:  A* (except that the
asterisk was superscripted): A ⃰ (I put it into the browser just before
this parenthesized text, and I can see it via seamonkey).

Any ideas as to what's going on, and can it be fixed?

Regards,
Chip Campbell

P.S. With gvim, I use set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ Bold\ 11 , in case its a
font issue.  Haven't changed that font in a looong time.

Re: "superscript" asterisk is gone!

Charles E Campbell Jr
Charles E Campbell wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I had been using a space (hex: 32) followed by a composing character
> (hex: 20f0) to get a superscript asterisk.  I no longer see the
> "superscript" asterisk.
>
> * I did an o/s upgrade in the past 6 months or so, and so that could be
> why the "superscript asterisk" is no longer visible
> * possibly vim has been "upgraded" so that the "superscript asterisk" is
> no longer visible
>
> I used it, as an example, in comments to indicate that a
> conjugate-transpose of a matrix was indicated:  A* (except that the
> asterisk was superscripted): A ⃰ (I put it into the browser just before
> this parenthesized text, and I can see it via seamonkey).
>
> Any ideas as to what's going on, and can it be fixed?
>
> Regards,
> Chip Campbell
>
> P.S. With gvim, I use set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ Bold\ 11 , in case its a
> font issue.  Haven't changed that font in a looong time.

Odd, this has been bothering me for awhile, but I just found an
additional thing about it: a ctrl-L will (sometimes) cause the
superscript-asterisk to appear (see the "supast" attachment for an example).

Regards,
Chip Campbell

supast (12 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: "superscript" asterisk is gone!

Tony Mechelynck
In Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 8 in gvim 8.0.600 for GTK3 (which I just
made using "make reconfig" after an update of the python2, python3 and
IIRC lua packages), U+20F0 is present in the buffer and gvim
recognises it as a composing character, but its display is easy to
miss: AFAICT only 3 pixels are in the foreground colour, at top right
of the character cell, in this shape (shown here by one asterisk per
pixel):
**
 *

When the cursor is on it, ga and g8 give the expected values below the
status line.

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> In Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 8 in gvim 8.0.600 for GTK3 (which I just
> made using "make reconfig" after an update of the python2, python3 and
> IIRC lua packages), U+20F0 is present in the buffer and gvim
> recognises it as a composing character, but its display is easy to
> miss: AFAICT only 3 pixels are in the foreground colour, at top right
> of the character cell, in this shape (shown here by one asterisk per
> pixel):
> **
>  *
>
> When the cursor is on it, ga and g8 give the expected values below the
> status line.

Hello:

The glyph doesn't have much to show, but frequently its not showing
anything.  Sometimes when I press ctrl-L for a refresh it will appear.
Sometimes.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

BPJ

Den 22 maj 2017 21:32 skrev "Charles E Campbell" <[hidden email]>:
Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> In Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 8 in gvim 8.0.600 for GTK3 (which I just
> made using "make reconfig" after an update of the python2, python3 and
> IIRC lua packages), U+20F0 is present in the buffer and gvim
> recognises it as a composing character, but its display is easy to
> miss: AFAICT only 3 pixels are in the foreground colour, at top right
> of the character cell, in this shape (shown here by one asterisk per
> pixel):
> **
>  *
>
> When the cursor is on it, ga and g8 give the expected values below the
> status line.

Hello:

The glyph doesn't have much to show, but frequently its not showing
anything.  Sometimes when I press ctrl-L for a refresh it will appear.
Sometimes.

When wearing my historical linguistic hat I use a lot of letters with diacritical marks, both combining  and precomposed, and it is common that marks over high letters like caps and k h b d l and below deep letters like g j q y get cut off. Apparently Vim draws each line with an upper and lower border and whatever falls above or below that border is hidden. Follow this link for a feature of Christian's unicode.vim plugin which is very helpful:

It doesn't solve the problem per se, but it shows the name, codepoint, etc. of the (base) character and any combining characters under the cursor.

You can also use matchadd() to make Vim highlight certain characters or character combinations differently. I do that with some Greek characters where certain diacritics are hard to discern.

/bpj

Charles Campbell wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> > In Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 8 in gvim 8.0.600 for GTK3 (which I just
> > made using "make reconfig" after an update of the python2, python3 and
> > IIRC lua packages), U+20F0 is present in the buffer and gvim
> > recognises it as a composing character, but its display is easy to
> > miss: AFAICT only 3 pixels are in the foreground colour, at top right
> > of the character cell, in this shape (shown here by one asterisk per
> > pixel):
> > **
> >  *
> >
> > When the cursor is on it, ga and g8 give the expected values below the
> > status line.
> >
> Hello:
>
> The glyph doesn't have much to show, but frequently its not showing
> anything.  Sometimes when I press ctrl-L for a refresh it will appear.
> Sometimes.

I suspect the glyph draws pixels outside of the character cell.  Vim then
erases them when drawing another character.  This has happened with some bold
fonts as well (there is special redrawing logic for that).
You can try moving the cursor in both directions over the character to see what
happens.

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. The other way

Re: "superscript" asterisk is gone!

Ben Fritz
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 4:35:19 AM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> I suspect the glyph draws pixels outside of the character cell.  Vim then
> erases them when drawing another character.

Would the 'linespace' option help, if this is the case?

BPJ wrote:

> Den 22 maj 2017 21:32 skrev "Charles E Campbell"
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>     > In Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 8 in gvim 8.0.600 for GTK3 (which I just
>     > made using "make reconfig" after an update of the python2,
>     python3 and
>     > IIRC lua packages), U+20F0 is present in the buffer and gvim
>     > recognises it as a composing character, but its display is easy to
>     > miss: AFAICT only 3 pixels are in the foreground colour, at top
>     right
>     > of the character cell, in this shape (shown here by one asterisk per
>     > pixel):
>     > **
>     >  *
>     >
>     > When the cursor is on it, ga and g8 give the expected values
>     below the
>     > status line.
>     >
>     Hello:
>
>     The glyph doesn't have much to show, but frequently its not showing
>     anything.  Sometimes when I press ctrl-L for a refresh it will appear.
>     Sometimes.
>

> When wearing my historical linguistic hat I use a lot of letters with
> diacritical marks, both combining  and precomposed, and it is common
> that marks over high letters like caps and k h b d l and below deep
> letters like g j q y get cut off. Apparently Vim draws each line with
> an upper and lower border and whatever falls above or below that
> border is hidden. Follow this link for a feature of Christian's
> unicode.vim plugin which is very helpful:
>
> https://github.com/chrisbra/unicode.vim/blob/master/doc/unicode.txt#L369
>
> It doesn't solve the problem per se, but it shows the name, codepoint,
> etc. of the (base) character and any combining characters under the
> cursor.
>
> You can also use matchadd() to make Vim highlight certain characters
> or character combinations differently. I do that with some Greek
> characters where certain diacritics are hard to discern.
>
> /bpj

Thank you
Chip Campbell

Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Charles Campbell wrote:
>
>> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>>> In Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 8 in gvim 8.0.600 for GTK3 (which I just
>>> made using "make reconfig" after an update of the python2, python3 and
>>> IIRC lua packages), U+20F0 is present in the buffer and gvim
>>> recognises it as a composing character, but its display is easy to
>>> miss: AFAICT only 3 pixels are in the foreground colour, at top right
>>> of the character cell, in this shape (shown here by one asterisk per
>>> pixel):
>>> **
>>>  *
>>>
>>> When the cursor is on it, ga and g8 give the expected values below the
>>> status line.
>>>
>> Hello:
>>
>> The glyph doesn't have much to show, but frequently its not showing
>> anything.  Sometimes when I press ctrl-L for a refresh it will appear.
>> Sometimes.
> I suspect the glyph draws pixels outside of the character cell.  Vim then
> erases them when drawing another character.  This has happened with some bold
> fonts as well (there is special redrawing logic for that).
> You can try moving the cursor in both directions over the character to see what
> happens.

Oddly enough, when I move the cursor through the
space+superscript-asterisk (ie. built by a space followed by a 20f0x
character),
it disappears (it had been showing after a ctrl-L).  I tried moving the
cursor left, right, up, and down, and all directions make the character
disappear.
A ctrl-L with the cursor atop the character prevents the appearance of
the superscript asterisk.

I also tried Ben's idea about using the linespace option; unfortunately,
that had no effect on the visibility of the superscript-asterisk.
I've attached a small file showing the issue when used with a guifont of
"Luxi Mono Bold 11".

Regards,
Chip Campbell

superast.c (120 bytes) Download Attachment