"+y does not work

ConcreteVitamin
Hi All,

I'm using Vim under Ubuntu's Gnome Terminal (the command "vim"). I selected some text in visual mode, then "+y, but when I right clicked on Firefox's address bar, the "paste" option is not available. What's the problem? And how to fix it?

Thanks.

Best,
Gary

Re: "+y does not work

Gary Johnson-4
On 2012-01-11, ConcreteVitamin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using Vim under Ubuntu's Gnome Terminal (the command "vim"). I selected
> some text in visual mode, then "+y, but when I right clicked on Firefox's
> address bar, the "paste" option is not available. What's the problem? And how
> to fix it?

The version of vim that you are using was probably not compiled with
support for X11 or the clipboard.  You can check this by executing

    :version

Ubuntu has several packages that include vim:

    package    binary              X11
    ---------  ------------------  ---
    vim        /usr/bin/vim.basic  No
    vim-tiny   /usr/bin/vim.tiny   No
    vim-gnome  /usr/bin/vim.gnome  Yes

One of these is linked to /usr/bin/vim via /etc/alternatives/vim.
You can find out which by executing

    ls -l /etc/alternatives/vim

I think that all you have to do is install the vim-gnome package and
you'll get what you want.

Regards,
Gary

Re: "+y does not work

zhang listar
在 2012年1月11日 下午2:25,ConcreteVitamin <[hidden email]> 写道:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm using Vim under Ubuntu's Gnome Terminal (the command "vim"). I selected
> some text in visual mode, then "+y, but when I right clicked on Firefox's
> address bar, the "paste" option is not available. What's the problem? And
> how to fix it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best,
> Gary

Does vim support system clipboard?
Use vim --version to check it, or you can type :reg in vim to see that if
there is '+' register, which is system clipboard.

Re: "+y does not work

ConcreteVitamin
Following your advice I installed vim-gnome. And problem fixed!

Thanks! :)

On 2012-01-11, ConcreteVitamin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using Vim under Ubuntu's Gnome Terminal (the command "vim"). I selected
> some text in visual mode, then "+y, but when I right clicked on Firefox's
> address bar, the "paste" option is not available. What's the problem? And how
> to fix it?

The version of vim that you are using was probably not compiled with
support for X11 or the clipboard.  You can check this by executing

   :version

Ubuntu has several packages that include vim:

   package    binary              X11
   ---------  ------------------  ---
   vim        /usr/bin/vim.basic  No
   vim-tiny   /usr/bin/vim.tiny   No
   vim-gnome  /usr/bin/vim.gnome  Yes

One of these is linked to /usr/bin/vim via /etc/alternatives/vim.
You can find out which by executing

   ls -l /etc/alternatives/vim

I think that all you have to do is install the vim-gnome package and
you'll get what you want.

Regards,
Gary

Re: "+y does not work

kindle4ever
apt-get install vim-gtk also woks

Re: "+y does not work

Ven Tadipatri
Hmm...I don't know if that's always an option. Sometimes we're on a
machine where we don't have root access, so we don't have the
privileges to reinstall vim. Or admins may decide that there is a
standard version of vim and they don't want to change it. Telling
someone to reinstall vim isn't a solution, it's hiding the real
problem which is why doesn't vim automatically have clipboard support?
Why is it "optional"?
   In any case, I think if xclip is available, that can integrate with
the clipboard, so you
just set up a keyboard shortcut in your local .vimrc.  But xclip
doesn't work well on Windows.
   So I think if you are on a Windows system, where you don't have the
ability to reinstall vim, how can you do a simple thing like "copy
text from vi and paste it in an external app". If you're using vi from
within a putty terminal, putty has copy and paste built into it I
believe. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ven

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:39 AM, ConcreteVitamin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following your advice I installed vim-gnome. And problem fixed!
>
> Thanks! :)
>

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 2012-01-11, ConcreteVitamin wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I'm using Vim under Ubuntu's Gnome Terminal (the command "vim"). I
>> > selected
>> > some text in visual mode, then "+y, but when I right clicked on
>> > Firefox's
>> > address bar, the "paste" option is not available. What's the problem?
>> > And how
>> > to fix it?
>>
>> The version of vim that you are using was probably not compiled with
>> support for X11 or the clipboard.  You can check this by executing
>>
>>    :version
>>
>> Ubuntu has several packages that include vim:
>>
>>    package    binary              X11
>>    ---------  ------------------  ---
>>    vim        /usr/bin/vim.basic  No
>>    vim-tiny   /usr/bin/vim.tiny   No
>>    vim-gnome  /usr/bin/vim.gnome  Yes
>>
>> One of these is linked to /usr/bin/vim via /etc/alternatives/vim.
>> You can find out which by executing
>>
>>    ls -l /etc/alternatives/vim
>>
>> I think that all you have to do is install the vim-gnome package and
>> you'll get what you want.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gary

Re: "+y does not work

Gary Johnson-4
On 2012-01-13, Ven Tadipatri wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:39 AM, ConcreteVitamin wrote:
> > Following your advice I installed vim-gnome. And problem fixed!
> >
> > Thanks! :)

> >> The version of vim that you are using was probably not compiled with
> >> support for X11 or the clipboard.  You can check this by executing
> >>
> >>    :version
> >>
> >> Ubuntu has several packages that include vim:
> >>
> >>    package    binary              X11
> >>    ---------  ------------------  ---
> >>    vim        /usr/bin/vim.basic  No
> >>    vim-tiny   /usr/bin/vim.tiny   No
> >>    vim-gnome  /usr/bin/vim.gnome  Yes
> >>
> >> One of these is linked to /usr/bin/vim via /etc/alternatives/vim.
> >> You can find out which by executing
> >>
> >>    ls -l /etc/alternatives/vim
> >>
> >> I think that all you have to do is install the vim-gnome package and
> >> you'll get what you want.

> Hmm...I don't know if that's always an option. Sometimes we're on a
> machine where we don't have root access, so we don't have the
> privileges to reinstall vim. Or admins may decide that there is a
> standard version of vim and they don't want to change it.

Of course installing a package is not always an option.  The OP said
he was using Ubuntu, which usually means the computer is personally
owned and that the owner can install whatever he wants.  With that
ability, installing the appropriate package is the best solution.

There are other options for other situations.  The easiest is to run
gvim in terminal mode, as "gvim -v".  Since gvim is always built
with X11 support, problem solved.  This option can be made
transparent to the user with an alias: "alias vim='gvim -v'".

Another option is to build vim yourself in your home directory.

> Telling someone to reinstall vim isn't a solution, it's hiding the
> real problem which is why doesn't vim automatically have clipboard
> support?  Why is it "optional"?

Yes, it is a solution.  Further, vim _does_ automatically have
clipboard support.  When I build it myself, with no build options, I
get a vim with clipboard support.

The real problem is that many Linux distributions choose to build
their default vim package without X11 or clipboard support.  Note
that it takes extra work to do this.  This makes no sense to me.
Disk space is no longer an issue; RAM is no longer an issue; load
time has never been an issue with respect to these features; and
these days, nearly everyone who uses vim in a terminal uses an X11
terminal emulator.  Yet I find myself answering this question about
once a month on this list or in some other forum.  If you think
clipboard support should not be optional, I suggest you contact the
maintainers of at least Ubuntu and Fedora.

>    So I think if you are on a Windows system, where you don't have the
> ability to reinstall vim, how can you do a simple thing like "copy
> text from vi and paste it in an external app". If you're using vi from
> within a putty terminal, putty has copy and paste built into it I
> believe. Any other suggestions?

Most users of Vim on Windows use gvim, which always supports the
Windows clipboard.

Are you having problems copying from vim on Windows?

Please don't top-post in this list.

Regards,
Gary