reading contents from a file under directories specified by "path" variable

reading contents from a file under directories specified by "path" variable

Aman Jain
Hi

I know vim supports searching for files in those directories
which are specified by the path variable.
e.g.
:se path=/path/to/dir1,/path/to/dir2
:find file_inside_dir1.txt
(For this find command, auto complete works fine.)

But is there a way for reading in the contents of files present under
directories,
specified by path variable e.g.
:r file_inside_dir<TAB>

P.S: Right now I have to specify full path to read contents of a file,
which at some times is not that efficient.
        i.e :r /path/to/dir1/file_inside_dir1

Thanks

Re: reading contents from a file under directories specified by "path" variable

Ryan Aviles
When I do :find <filename_without_dir>
It opens the file even if its outside my current working directory. No need for the ":r"

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Aman Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I know vim supports searching for files in those directories
which are specified by the path variable.
e.g.
:se path=/path/to/dir1,/path/to/dir2
:find file_inside_dir1.txt
(For this find command, auto complete works fine.)

But is there a way for reading in the contents of files present under
directories,
specified by path variable e.g.
:r file_inside_dir<TAB>

P.S: Right now I have to specify full path to read contents of a file,
which at some times is not that efficient.
       i.e :r /path/to/dir1/file_inside_dir1

Thanks

Re: reading contents from a file under directories specified by "path" variable

Aman Jain
I know that it works for ":find", as already mentioned in my question;
I am mainly interested in a way by which I get the same behavior for
":r"

--Thanks

On Jun 3, 3:54 pm, Ryan Aviles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I do :find <filename_without_dir>
> It opens the file even if its outside my current working directory. No need
> for the ":r"
>

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Aman Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > I know vim supports searching for files in those directories
> > which are specified by the path variable.
> > e.g.
> > :se path=/path/to/dir1,/path/to/dir2
> > :find file_inside_dir1.txt
> > (For this find command, auto complete works fine.)
>
> > But is there a way for reading in the contents of files present under
> > directories,
> > specified by path variable e.g.
> > :r file_inside_dir<TAB>
>
> > P.S: Right now I have to specify full path to read contents of a file,
> > which at some times is not that efficient.
> >        i.e :r /path/to/dir1/file_inside_dir1
>
> > Thanks
>
> > --
> > For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php

Re: reading contents from a file under directories specified by "path" variable

Jean-Rene David-2
* Aman Jain [2011.06.03 14:40]:
> But is there a way for reading in the contents of files present under
> directories,
> specified by path variable e.g.
> :r file_inside_dir<TAB>

As you noticed, :read doesn't  consult 'path'.

Here's a quick implementation:

fun! Read(file)
   let full_path = findfile(a:file)
   exe "read " . full_path
endfun

fun! PathComplete(A,L,P)
   return split( globpath(&path, a:A."*"), "\n")
endfun

command! -complete=customlist,PathComplete -nargs=1 Read call Read('<args>')

Use like so:

:Read foo<tab>

HTH,

--